Posted to uk.d-i-y
John

Default Advice

Are there many painters/decorators in this group???

cheers

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mungo \Two Sheds\ Toadfoot

John wrote:
Are there many painters/decorators in this group???

cheers

More than likely. I've done both.

Si

Posted to uk.d-i-y
John

"Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot" wrote in message
John wrote:
Are there many painters/decorators in this group???

cheers

More than likely. I've done both.

Si

I am just at retiring age and will be giving my house the "final paint"
before I get too old!!!
Being quite handy I will be tackling this job by myself to keep me busy.

I have over 14 windows to paint and 3 doors that are wood with white gloss
paint. The windows are in good conditions with not much flaking paint, some
have a little bare wood showing.
I would like to prime/undercoat these with 1 coat, then gloss with 1 coat,
if this sounds right?

I was looking at dulux website and dulux trade and searching on newsgroups
to find out the difference between oil, water and acrylic paint.
Acrylic seems to be a good choice for primer/undercoat?

My question is, which product to buy from Dulux or Glidden I think?

Hope you can help me with some of this.

best wishes
John

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John wrote:
[...]

The answer is an easy none of the above. Alkyd paints dont last well, a
few years oudoors is common. Linseed based paints have a 15 yr life on
wood, no contest really.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Plowman (News)

In article . com,
wrote:
The answer is an easy none of the above. Alkyd paints dont last well, a
few years oudoors is common. Linseed based paints have a 15 yr life on
wood, no contest really.

They might have a 15 year life in a *very* sheltered location, but no
where near that when exposed to the elements.

--
*Certain frogs can be frozen solid, then thawed, and survive *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Weatherlawyer

John wrote:

I have over 14 windows to paint and 3 doors that are wood with white gloss
paint. The windows are in good conditions with not much flaking paint, some
have a little bare wood showing.
I would like to prime/undercoat these with 1 coat, then gloss with 1 coat,
if this sounds right?

I was looking at dulux website and dulux trade and searching on newsgroups
to find out the difference between oil, water and acrylic paint.
Acrylic seems to be a good choice for primer/undercoat?

Both Dulux and Glidden are top notch. You use acrylic as a primer as it
dries quickly and is easy to use. Then an oil based undercoat and then
the finish. It is very straight-forward.

Chop out any cracked putty, prime and reputty. Inevitably the bottom
rail needs some tickling. Check the mastic. Make sure any you re run is
not too thick as it can (and does tend to) fall away.

The undercoat will dry in a few hours, the top coat is the slowest
going off. Work your way around the windowsw ith the first job and go
back to the first when it has dried and give that the undercoat. Then
go to the second and so on until the first is ready for the finish.
Actually you would be best to get on with the others that need primer.

Once they are all primed and undercoated you can paint the whole of the
first window. Go over it with a cleaner then fine sandpaper to key it.
Paint the beads and rebates first.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article . com,
wrote:
The answer is an easy none of the above. Alkyd paints dont last well, a
few years oudoors is common. Linseed based paints have a 15 yr life on
wood, no contest really.

They might have a 15 year life in a *very* sheltered location, but no
where near that when exposed to the elements.

have you been using it, or read thi somewhre?

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Plowman (News)

In article .com,
wrote:
The answer is an easy none of the above. Alkyd paints dont last
well, a few years oudoors is common. Linseed based paints have a 15
yr life on wood, no contest really.

They might have a 15 year life in a *very* sheltered location, but no
where near that when exposed to the elements.

have you been using it, or read thi somewhre?

Using it. The back of my house faces south and despite using the 'best'
paints - as recommended in various places at different times, I've found
deterioration after only a couple of years. I would happily pay near any
money for a paint which lasted 15 years on wood, as an upper window needs
scaffolding to access.

Incidentally, if you look at paint tests on Which, you'll not find any
lasting anywhere near 15 years under arduous conditions.

--
*Time is fun when you're having flies... Kermit

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Weatherlawyer

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

The back of my house faces south and despite using the 'best'
paints - as recommended in various places at different times, I've found
deterioration after only a couple of years. I would happily pay near any
money for a paint which lasted 15 years on wood, as an upper window needs
scaffolding to access.

The idea of paint is that it takes the brunt of the wear and tear of
sunshine and showers. Obviosly the sunshine and showers are going to
affect one side of the house more than any others.

Which is why bloody ugly PVC has virtually taken over. It is the only
really weatherproof alternative to paint. At least paint will not turn
into something that looks like you used a box of cornflakes in syrup as
would happen if you used varnish in a hot sunny spot.

A weakness in building designs is that windows stand directly over
windows on multistory buildings. So you not only get a column of wek
engineering but the water shed from the top story drips onto the one
below.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
The Natural Philosopher

Weatherlawyer wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

The back of my house faces south and despite using the 'best'
paints - as recommended in various places at different times, I've found
deterioration after only a couple of years. I would happily pay near any
money for a paint which lasted 15 years on wood, as an upper window needs
scaffolding to access.

The idea of paint is that it takes the brunt of the wear and tear of
sunshine and showers. Obviosly the sunshine and showers are going to
affect one side of the house more than any others.

Which is why bloody ugly PVC has virtually taken over. It is the only
really weatherproof alternative to paint. At least paint will not turn
into something that looks like you used a box of cornflakes in syrup as
would happen if you used varnish in a hot sunny spot.

Powder coated steel or anodised aluminium are also good, but more heat
conductive.

A weakness in building designs is that windows stand directly over
windows on multistory buildings. So you not only get a column of wek
engineering but the water shed from the top story drips onto the one
below.

So use drip boards..

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article .com,
wrote:
The answer is an easy none of the above. Alkyd paints dont last
well, a few years oudoors is common. Linseed based paints have a 15
yr life on wood, no contest really.

They might have a 15 year life in a *very* sheltered location, but no
where near that when exposed to the elements.

have you been using it, or read thi somewhre?

As a secondary as you obviously don't believe me, which paints would you
use for a white finish on south facing exposed softwood windows -
primer undercoat and gloss - to achieve this 15 year life?

--
*If love is blind, why is lingerie so popular? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 02 Jul 2006 09:31:14 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article .com,
wrote:
The answer is an easy none of the above. Alkyd paints dont last
well, a few years oudoors is common. Linseed based paints have a 15
yr life on wood, no contest really.

They might have a 15 year life in a *very* sheltered location, but no
where near that when exposed to the elements.

have you been using it, or read thi somewhre?

Using it. The back of my house faces south and despite using the 'best'
paints - as recommended in various places at different times, I've found
deterioration after only a couple of years. I would happily pay near any
money for a paint which lasted 15 years on wood, as an upper window needs
scaffolding to access.

This might be worth a look:

http://www.cfsnet.co.uk/acatalog/CFS_Catalogue__Bonda_15_Year_White_Paint_272.html

Might not be breathable though.

Or a couple of coats of this:

http://www.sadolin.co.uk/homeowner/products/claddingfascias/woodshield/index.htm

Incidentally, if you look at paint tests on Which, you'll not find any
lasting anywhere near 15 years under arduous conditions.

Depends what they test...

cheers,
Pete.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article .com,
wrote:
The answer is an easy none of the above. Alkyd paints dont last
well, a few years oudoors is common. Linseed based paints have a 15
yr life on wood, no contest really.

They might have a 15 year life in a *very* sheltered location, but no
where near that when exposed to the elements.

have you been using it, or read thi somewhre?

Using it. The back of my house faces south and despite using the 'best'
paints - as recommended in various places at different times, I've found
deterioration after only a couple of years. I would happily pay near any
money for a paint which lasted 15 years on wood, as an upper window needs
scaffolding to access.

Incidentally, if you look at paint tests on Which, you'll not find any
lasting anywhere near 15 years under arduous conditions.

Bugger. I even contacted a marine paints company trying to find
something, but they said they had nothing suitable.

The one thing I've had that lasted well was some retaining woodwork,
softwood, treated with 50/50 engine oil and paraffin. Despite being
always damp it was in excellant condition years later. I've been
tempted to use it on windows... but once you use this theres no going
back, you cant paint onto engine oil.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article .com,
wrote:
The answer is an easy none of the above. Alkyd paints dont last
well, a few years oudoors is common. Linseed based paints have a 15
yr life on wood, no contest really.
They might have a 15 year life in a *very* sheltered location, but no
where near that when exposed to the elements.

have you been using it, or read thi somewhre?

As a secondary as you obviously don't believe me, which paints would you
use for a white finish on south facing exposed softwood windows -
primer undercoat and gloss - to achieve this 15 year life?

Probably two pack epoxy or polyurethane yacht varnish..the sort of stuff
you paint cars with.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
The Natural Philosopher wrote:
As a secondary as you obviously don't believe me, which paints would
you use for a white finish on south facing exposed softwood windows -
primer undercoat and gloss - to achieve this 15 year life?

Probably two pack epoxy or polyurethane yacht varnish..the sort of stuff
you paint cars with.

There's still the problem of getting it to stick to wood which is
continually on the move.

--
*The colder the X-ray table, the more of your body is required on it *