Posted to uk.d-i-y
oaknet

Default Boiler timer sticks - just replace?

The timer on my boiler is pretty old (the boiler is much newer) but has
started to jam just before it switches on. I spun the on/off lugs
around to try to shift anything that was causing a jam but it still
stuck this morning. IS it possible to maintain these things or as it's
old do I just get it replaced? Thanks...

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Christian McArdle

IS it possible to maintain these things or as it's
old do I just get it replaced?

Replace your room thermostat with a programmable type. Then switch the
boiler to always on. Ensure your hot water cylinder has a working
thermostat, as this will be heated 24h, too.

Christian.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Guy King

The message
from "Christian McArdle" contains
these words:

Replace your room thermostat with a programmable type. Then switch the
boiler to always on. Ensure your hot water cylinder has a working
thermostat, as this will be heated 24h, too.

While I agree that programmable thermostats are excellent, the advice
about the water tank is dependent on how the existing system is plumbed.
Ours, like many, has a three way valve so the CH is independent of the
HW in the first place so switching the CH by a timer/thermostat has no
effect on the HW timing - though of course you'll need a new timer for
the HW as well!
It would cost a lot in gas to keep the HW on all the time even if the
cylinder's well lagged.

--
Skipweasel
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Christian McArdle

It would cost a lot in gas to keep the HW on all the time even if the
cylinder's well lagged.

No it won't, if it has a functioning thermostat.

Christian.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Guy King

The message
from "Christian McArdle" contains
these words:

It would cost a lot in gas to keep the HW on all the time even if the
cylinder's well lagged.

No it won't, if it has a functioning thermostat.

You tried it?

In my experience the boiler will come on every hour or so, which is wasteful.

--
Skipweasel

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Christian McArdle

You tried it?

Yes.

In my experience the boiler will come on every hour or so, which is

wasteful.

It will use very little fuel to do so on a modern modulating boiler,
especially if the pipe runs to the cylinder are short. I have no qualms in
running hot water 24h, and I'm relatively interested in environmental
concerns.

In any case, if it is a problem, it is easy to stick a one channel
programmer for the hot water.

Christian.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Guy King

The message
from "Christian McArdle" contains
these words:

It will use very little fuel to do so on a modern modulating boiler,
especially if the pipe runs to the cylinder are short.

If the timer's that old, then it's probably not a modern boiler even
though the OP says it's newer than the timer.
Unless you use the hot water throughout the day there's nothing to be
gained by keeping the HW enabled all day - and in some cases a lot to be
lost.

In any case, if it is a problem, it is easy to stick a one channel
programmer for the hot water.

Which was what I suggested.

--
Skipweasel
Posted to uk.d-i-y
raden

In message . com,
oaknet writes
The timer on my boiler is pretty old (the boiler is much newer) but has
started to jam just before it switches on. I spun the on/off lugs
around to try to shift anything that was causing a jam but it still
stuck this morning. IS it possible to maintain these things or as it's
old do I just get it replaced? Thanks...

Well, if you had the common sense to include the make and model, someone
(prolly me) might have been able to tell you

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y
oaknet

raden wrote:
In message . com,
oaknet writes
The timer on my boiler is pretty old (the boiler is much newer) but has
started to jam just before it switches on. I spun the on/off lugs
around to try to shift anything that was causing a jam but it still
stuck this morning. IS it possible to maintain these things or as it's
old do I just get it replaced? Thanks...

Well, if you had the common sense to include the make and model, someone
(prolly me) might have been able to tell you

--
geoff

If I had common sense I'd probably have fixed it by now!

I'll investigate further ...and thanks if you can help.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
oaknet

Horstmann Diamond is the name on the timer. A little WD40 on the timing
lugs seems to have smoothed their operation, but it still jams just
before the clock switches on. Any ideas other than replacement?
Thanks...

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Doctor Drivel

"oaknet" wrote in message
oups.com...
Horstmann Diamond is the name on the timer. A little WD40 on the timing
lugs seems to have smoothed their operation, but it still jams just
before the clock switches on. Any ideas other than replacement?
Thanks...

It should be in a museum. Replace it. Fit a clock thermostat. You will
not believe the control you will have.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
borrow

oaknet wrote:
Horstmann Diamond is the name on the timer. A little WD40 on the timing
lugs seems to have smoothed their operation, but it still jams just
before the clock switches on. Any ideas other than replacement?
Thanks...

Many moons ago when I was a poor student I had this problem in a couple
of properties (with landlords who didn't really want to know). The
solution we employed was to wind cotton around the dial handle and
dangle a weight from the end. Vary the weight such that it doesn't
change the clock time but just gives that little extra bit of pull
clockwise when the lugs hit the switch. ISTR the optimum was a chunky
tin opener. Every few days (depending on drop available) you have to
remember to rewind the cotton.

B.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
raden

In message .com,
oaknet writes
Horstmann Diamond is the name on the timer. A little WD40 on the timing
lugs seems to have smoothed their operation, but it still jams just
before the clock switches on. Any ideas other than replacement?
Thanks...

I used to repair them, but I'm fairly sure I've thrown all my spare
parts away now, it's 5-6 years since I've seen one. It sounds like the
motor doesn't have enough strength to overcome the resistance of the cam

To be honest, it's so old, replacement is the only sensible option

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y
oaknet

raden wrote:
In message .com,
oaknet writes
Horstmann Diamond is the name on the timer. A little WD40 on the timing
lugs seems to have smoothed their operation, but it still jams just
before the clock switches on. Any ideas other than replacement?
Thanks...

I used to repair them, but I'm fairly sure I've thrown all my spare
parts away now, it's 5-6 years since I've seen one. It sounds like the
motor doesn't have enough strength to overcome the resistance of the cam

To be honest, it's so old, replacement is the only sensible option

--
geoff

Thanks everyone - yes, replacement sounded likely but you nver know,
even with prehistoric kit. I particularly liked the thread and pendulum
possibility, but I guess I'll just get a replacement. Thanks again

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andrew Gabriel

In article .com,
"oaknet" writes:

Thanks everyone - yes, replacement sounded likely but you nver know,
even with prehistoric kit. I particularly liked the thread and pendulum
possibility, but I guess I'll just get a replacement. Thanks again

Although the motor in mechanical timeswitches may seem very low
powered, by the time it's been geared down to 1 rev per day, the
forces available are very large, and plenty capable of stripping
the teeth from metal or plastic gear wheels if something gets
stuck. Once that's happened, any kind of repair is unlikely.

--
Andrew Gabriel

Posted to uk.d-i-y
raden

In message , Andrew Gabriel
writes
In article .com,
"oaknet" writes:

Thanks everyone - yes, replacement sounded likely but you nver know,
even with prehistoric kit. I particularly liked the thread and pendulum
possibility, but I guess I'll just get a replacement. Thanks again

Although the motor in mechanical timeswitches may seem very low
powered, by the time it's been geared down to 1 rev per day, the
forces available are very large, and plenty capable of stripping
the teeth from metal or plastic gear wheels if something gets
stuck. Once that's happened, any kind of repair is unlikely.

The gears on a diamond are brass and relatively robust. What happens
more on this timer are that the bearings wear and the extra resistance
of the cam pushes the bearing out of line

--
geoff

Mixing header and pumps John Aston UK diy 79 December 8th 04 09:50 AM
Saunier Duval 623 Boiler timer ITguy_uk UK diy 6 November 17th 04 08:21 PM
Heat banks (again!) Dave UK diy 148 September 6th 04 08:45 PM
Boiler TP valve problems? Linc Vannah Home Repair 9 May 8th 04 02:20 AM
Boiler pilot light went out David Hearn UK diy 6 October 26th 03 11:54 PM