Posted to uk.d-i-y
The Medway Handyman

Default What Planet are they on?

Grrrr!

Today I fitted 28 handles to IKEA wooden drawers and aluminium door frames.
Two screws secured each handle.

The instructions glibly stated "drill two 5 mm holes at 448 mm centres".

Easy with a bench drill in the workshop, not so easy inside a walk in
dressing room with little space & poor lighting, even with a home made
template. Must be a simpler way with some adjustment surely? Could have
been done in half the time.

Friday I put up several curtain poles. The fixing was a circular plate
about 40mm dia with 3 holes. Not too bad in plasterboard, but the fixings
are so close together they must weaken the board. Difficult in brick to get
3 accurate holes that close together. One single No 12 screw through the
middle would have been easier and stronger.

Do the people who design these things ever have to put them up? Are they on
the same planet?

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y
The3rd Earl Of Derby

The Medway Handyman wrote:
Grrrr!

Today I fitted 28 handles to IKEA wooden drawers and aluminium door
frames. Two screws secured each handle.

The instructions glibly stated "drill two 5 mm holes at 448 mm
centres".

Easy with a bench drill in the workshop, not so easy inside a walk in
dressing room with little space & poor lighting, even with a home made
template. Must be a simpler way with some adjustment surely? Could
have been done in half the time.

So the drawers could not be detached from the unit to put the handles on
where space can be accessed?

Friday I put up several curtain poles. The fixing was a circular
plate about 40mm dia with 3 holes. Not too bad in plasterboard, but
the fixings are so close together they must weaken the board.
Difficult in brick to get 3 accurate holes that close together. One
single No 12 screw through the middle would have been easier and
stronger.

99% of curtain rail fixings are designed to affix to wood.

Do the people who design these things ever have to put them up? Are
they on the same planet?

What planet are *you* on?

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Women are like old TV's...the older they get the more prone they are to
switching off.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
The Medway Handyman

The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:

Friday I put up several curtain poles. The fixing was a circular
plate about 40mm dia with 3 holes. Not too bad in plasterboard, but
the fixings are so close together they must weaken the board.
Difficult in brick to get 3 accurate holes that close together. One
single No 12 screw through the middle would have been easier and
stronger.

99% of curtain rail fixings are designed to affix to wood.

WHAT?

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y
The Natural Philosopher

The Medway Handyman wrote:
The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:

Friday I put up several curtain poles. The fixing was a circular
plate about 40mm dia with 3 holes. Not too bad in plasterboard, but
the fixings are so close together they must weaken the board.
Difficult in brick to get 3 accurate holes that close together. One
single No 12 screw through the middle would have been easier and
stronger.

99% of curtain rail fixings are designed to affix to wood.

WHAT?

My reaction too..

Ive put up many curtain rails in my time, but never ever on wood.

Brick/plaster/breeze block/concrete/steel/plasterboard yes...wood, no.
Not until I hack out a section of plasterboard, shove some wood behind,
re-plasterboard, skim, paint ....

...."surely it can't take two whole days just to put up a curtain rail
darling?".....
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Do the people who design these things ever have to put them up? Are they on
the same planet?

I suspect they go to great pains to ensure that they will stay up in a
flimsy, half-hearted fashion for a little while. What fool would sell a
permanent solution?

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Plowman (News)

In article .com,
Weatherlawyer wrote:
Did they come with a pack of piddling 1 1/4" sevens and almost
unusable nylon plugs an odd size below reds, too?

I'm looking forward with baited breath for the time anything designed for
wall mounting comes with a suitable fixing kit. I've got a box full of
those unopened packets...

--
*Rehab is for quitters

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Fawthrop

On Tue, 27 Jun 2006 09:15:30 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

|In article .com,
| Weatherlawyer wrote:
| Did they come with a pack of piddling 1 1/4" sevens and almost
| unusable nylon plugs an odd size below reds, too?
|
|I'm looking forward with baited breath for the time anything designed for
|wall mounting comes with a suitable fixing kit. I've got a box full of
|those unopened packets...

Mine always come in *eventually* even 1 1/4 sevens.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
The Medway Handyman

Weatherlawyer wrote:
The Medway Handyman wrote:
Grrrr!

Today I fitted 28 handles to IKEA wooden drawers and aluminium door
frames. Two screws secured each handle.

The instructions glibly stated "drill two 5 mm holes at 448 mm
centres".

Nice to see you have plenty of work.

Im glad as well :-) The market seems huge.

The handles would have been a doddle with a jig. A drawer front sized
piece of ply for example. (Drilling from the back of the ply of course
as there might be some difference in the dimensions front to back.)

I did use a jig for the drawer fronts, which helped a lot. I used a 6mm
drill nstesd of a 5mm to allow a bit of 'play'.

Friday I put up several curtain poles. The fixing was a circular
plate about 40mm dia with 3 holes. Not too bad in plasterboard, but
the fixings are so close together they must weaken the board.
Difficult in brick to get 3 accurate holes that close together. One
single No 12 screw through the middle would have been easier and
stronger.

Did they come with a pack of piddling 1 1/4" sevens and almost
unusable nylon plugs an odd size below reds, too?

You have obviously put up the same make!

Always make sure the rail is longer than the lintle (and pray they put
a standard length one in there.) There is nothing worse than hitting a
catnic. You could always glue and screw a piece of 1/2" mdf as a
backing plate though. But then you are bound to hit the steel -either
the catnic or the rebar.

Oddly enough I didn't hit a lintel, they had plasterboarded around them and
all I could fix into was that. The SDS remained in the car.

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Grimly Curmudgeon

drugs began to take hold. I remember "Dave Plowman (News)"
saying something like:

Did they come with a pack of piddling 1 1/4" sevens and almost
unusable nylon plugs an odd size below reds, too?

I'm looking forward with baited breath for the time anything designed for
wall mounting comes with a suitable fixing kit. I've got a box full of
those unopened packets...

Same here, and they're f all use for anything, being too skinny and
useless plugs.
--

Dave