Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris

Default Can you use exterior paint indoors?

Can you use exterior paint indoors?
The tin says "for external use only."
Why?
--
Chris
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Christian McArdle

Can you use exterior paint indoors?
The tin says "for external use only."

No. It usually contains a fungicide which would be dangerous indoors as
there would be insufficient ventilation to remove the dangerous chemicals.
There is also an increased risk that young children may ingest the poisonous
fungicide directly through licking.

Christian.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
LongYP

"Chris" ] wrote in message
]...
Can you use exterior paint indoors?
The tin says "for external use only."
Why?
--
Chris

Could be something to do with particular chemicals used to make exterior
paint weather resistant..this same chemicals indoors could make you ill?

Posted to uk.d-i-y
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Christian McArdle wrote:
Can you use exterior paint indoors?
The tin says "for external use only."

No. It usually contains a fungicide which would be dangerous indoors
as there would be insufficient ventilation to remove the dangerous
chemicals. There is also an increased risk that young children may
ingest the poisonous fungicide directly through licking.

Christian.

Do kids lick the doors by you then?

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Chris wrote:

Can you use exterior paint indoors?
The tin says "for external use only."
Why?

the solvents can sometimes be too toxic for indoor use. The finish is
sometimes rougher than would be accepted indoors. And there may be
toxins incorporated into the paint that are a risk to children. So not
really.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris Hodges

Chris wrote:
Can you use exterior paint indoors?
The tin says "for external use only."
Why?

Small quantities of exterior gloss are very good at sealing problem
areas (e.g. old stains that come through emulsion). The smell's pretty
potent though, I wouldn't like to use too much. It seemed better for
this than oil-based interior gloss, but I didn't do an experiment.

--
Spamtrap in use
To email replace 127.0.0.1 with blueyonder dot co dot uk
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris Bacon

Chris wrote:
Can you use exterior paint indoors?

I tend to use gloss and undercoat suitable for exterior use
both inside and outside.

The tin says "for external use only."

I haven't come across much paint that says that, but I'd go
along with what it says on the label....

Why?

There's something in it that makes it unsuitable for use
inside (see: creosote).

What sort of paint is it?
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris

In article , Chris Bacon
writes
Chris wrote:
Can you use exterior paint indoors?

I tend to use gloss and undercoat suitable for exterior use
both inside and outside.

The tin says "for external use only."

I haven't come across much paint that says that, but I'd go
along with what it says on the label....

Why?

There's something in it that makes it unsuitable for use
inside (see: creosote).

What sort of paint is it?

International 10 year exterior gloss.
--
Chris

Why aren't heat pumps placed indoors ? [email protected] Home Repair 20 April 2nd 06 12:18 AM
insulating sheathing indoors? Home Repair 5 November 25th 05 07:18 PM
What to use to clean a concrete slab indoors? Cheryl Home Repair 2 August 30th 04 02:57 PM
Sandblasting Indoors BP Metalworking 3 January 12th 04 05:25 PM
Sanding indoors Dave Woodworking 7 September 10th 03 04:05 AM