Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rick Hughes

Default Indicator Flasher

Anybody experienced on bikes ..? my sons scooter has indicators that don't
work.

(just bought the scooter) ... traced out wiring and found a few broken wires
and connectors .. now can get indicators to come on with correct switch
action, but they don't flash.

I am assuming this is a flasher unit fault, on cars they tend to be multi
pole units, on the scooter it is just a simple 2 connections.

My guess is that it is a bi-metal strip of some sort .... initially short,
apply current - strip heats and breaks, cools then remakes .. pretty simple
but, I guess that is enough for all it has to do.
Anybody know for sure ?

Just wanted to check before I start putting 12V direct through it ?

It's a Peugeot Speedfight 2 in case that is relevant.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Plant

"Rick Hughes" wrote in message
Anybody experienced on bikes ..? my sons scooter has indicators that
don't work.

(just bought the scooter) ... traced out wiring and found a few broken
wires and connectors .. now can get indicators to come on with correct
switch action, but they don't flash.

I am assuming this is a flasher unit fault, on cars they tend to be multi
pole units, on the scooter it is just a simple 2 connections.

My guess is that it is a bi-metal strip of some sort .... initially short,
apply current - strip heats and breaks, cools then remakes .. pretty
simple but, I guess that is enough for all it has to do.
Anybody know for sure ?

Just wanted to check before I start putting 12V direct through it ?

It's a Peugeot Speedfight 2 in case that is relevant.

Not a "Short" - but series surely.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Guy King

The message
from "Rick Hughes" contains these words:

My guess is that it is a bi-metal strip of some sort .... initially short,
apply current - strip heats and breaks, cools then remakes .. pretty simple
but, I guess that is enough for all it has to do.
Anybody know for sure ?

That's certainly how they used to do it. Any reason you can't pull it
apart and find out?

Oh, and to test it, don't stuff 12v across it without some ballast.
Stick a lamp in series or you may let the magic blue smoke out. You
might have to experiment with the load as they don't work with too high
or too low a load.

--
Skipweasel
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Harry Bloomfield

Rick Hughes expressed precisely :
Anybody experienced on bikes ..? my sons scooter has indicators that don't
work.

My guess is that it is a bi-metal strip of some sort .... initially short,
apply current - strip heats and breaks, cools then remakes .. pretty simple
but, I guess that is enough for all it has to do.
Anybody know for sure ?

Could be electronic or bi-metal strip.

Just wanted to check before I start putting 12V direct through it ?

Don't do that, it will blow!

If unplugging the flasher unit causes the lights to go out, then the
flasher unit is in the circuit and probably faulty. They works like
this

--------- L lamp x2 ---------- B-
B+ -------------flasher ---- switch
--------- R lamp x2 ---------- B-
Though not necessarily in that exact order.

The flasher is designed to work perfectly and at the correct flash rate
when feeding 2x lamps of the correct wattage. It might be that the
wrong type of lamps have been fitted, the wrong type of flasher, or the
battery might be a little low.

--

Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave

John Plant wrote:

"Rick Hughes" wrote in message

Anybody experienced on bikes ..? my sons scooter has indicators that
don't work.

(just bought the scooter) ... traced out wiring and found a few broken
wires and connectors .. now can get indicators to come on with correct
switch action, but they don't flash.

I am assuming this is a flasher unit fault, on cars they tend to be multi
pole units, on the scooter it is just a simple 2 connections.

My guess is that it is a bi-metal strip of some sort .... initially short,
apply current - strip heats and breaks, cools then remakes .. pretty
simple but, I guess that is enough for all it has to do.
Anybody know for sure ?

Just wanted to check before I start putting 12V direct through it ?

It's a Peugeot Speedfight 2 in case that is relevant.

Not a "Short" - but series surely.

No. The switch contacts will be short circuit when closed, then open
after the strip heats up.
Not a good description, but accurate as to how a switch works.

Dave

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Osprey

what I meant by short is a 'short' across the pair of contacts i.e.
switch closed.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Osprey

that is what I said isn't it ?
.... initial condition is 'short' i.e switch closed ... current heats
up strip, bimetal strip bends away from contact .. switch open circuit.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Osprey

This is exacylt how I guessed it was supposed to work .... so my intent
with 12 V is OK, just make a 12V circuit with a car bulb with the
flasher in series with the bulb.

I'll give it a go tomorrow ....

I di try opening the unit but it is sealed up solid.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave

Osprey wrote:
that is what I said isn't it ?
... initial condition is 'short' i.e switch closed ... current heats
up strip, bimetal strip bends away from contact .. switch open circuit.

Sorry, I don't see any of your posts above.

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andrew Scott

"Osprey" wrote in message
ups.com...
This is exacylt how I guessed it was supposed to work .... so my intent
with 12 V is OK, just make a 12V circuit with a car bulb with the
flasher in series with the bulb.

I'll give it a go tomorrow ....

I di try opening the unit but it is sealed up solid.

Do both indicators reamin static? I.E. Left hand front and rear? or Right
hand front and rear? I have found that if one of my buls either blows, or
becomes unwired, then the other one on the same side remains static, along
with the idiot light. I found this out after not checking both blubs once,
just the back which was static, and found that a wire had come loose from
the front and the front wasnt doing anything, obviously. On re-insertion of
the front wire, the back, and fornt both flashed again.

Dont know if thats any assistance at all, just like to check the simple
things first

Andy

Posted to uk.d-i-y
mrcheerful

"Rick Hughes" wrote in message
Anybody experienced on bikes ..? my sons scooter has indicators that
don't work.

(just bought the scooter) ... traced out wiring and found a few broken
wires and connectors .. now can get indicators to come on with correct
switch action, but they don't flash.

I am assuming this is a flasher unit fault, on cars they tend to be multi
pole units, on the scooter it is just a simple 2 connections.

My guess is that it is a bi-metal strip of some sort .... initially short,
apply current - strip heats and breaks, cools then remakes .. pretty
simple but, I guess that is enough for all it has to do.
Anybody know for sure ?

Just wanted to check before I start putting 12V direct through it ?

It's a Peugeot Speedfight 2 in case that is relevant.

Make sure the battery is charged and you may need the engine running.

Yes that is how flashers work, assuming it is a 12 volt bike then you could
put any suitable car relay in.

mrcheerful

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Rick Hughes wrote:
I am assuming this is a flasher unit fault, on cars they tend to be
multi pole units, on the scooter it is just a simple 2 connections.

This might be of some use:-

http://www.vehicle-wiring-products.c...ys/relays.html

--
*There are two sides to every divorce: Yours and **** head's*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
mrcheerful
. wrote:
Yes that is how flashers work, assuming it is a 12 volt bike then you
could put any suitable car relay in.

Some small bikes use lower wattage bulbs than cars.

--
*Speak softly and carry a cellular phone *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Osprey

When you select Right .. both right front & rear come on and stay on ..
no flashing same for left.
Initially no left indicators, found bad connections and fitted new
crimp connectors.
So happy all 4 bulbs work.
Just tested .. a simple 12V series circuit with a 20W sidelight bulb
(scooter uses 2 x 10W so similar current drain) with the flasher in
series .. bulb permanently on ... so time to buy a new flasher unit.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Osprey

cheers Dave

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Clint Sharp

In message .com,
Osprey writes
When you select Right .. both right front & rear come on and stay on ..
no flashing same for left.
Initially no left indicators, found bad connections and fitted new
crimp connectors.
So happy all 4 bulbs work.
Just tested .. a simple 12V series circuit with a 20W sidelight bulb
(scooter uses 2 x 10W so similar current drain) with the flasher in
series .. bulb permanently on ... so time to buy a new flasher unit.

You're missing an earth, is the case metal or does it have a metal tag
that needs to be bolted to the chassis?
--
Clint Sharp
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Clint Sharp

In message , Clint Sharp
writes
In message .com,
Osprey writes
When you select Right .. both right front & rear come on and stay on ..
no flashing same for left.
Initially no left indicators, found bad connections and fitted new
crimp connectors.
So happy all 4 bulbs work.
Just tested .. a simple 12V series circuit with a 20W sidelight bulb
(scooter uses 2 x 10W so similar current drain) with the flasher in
series .. bulb permanently on ... so time to buy a new flasher unit.

You're missing an earth, is the case metal or does it have a metal tag
that needs to be bolted to the chassis?

Bad form to reply to your own posts but there should be a maybe in there
after the 'missing an earth' bit...

--
Clint Sharp
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Guy King

The message .com
from "Osprey" contains these words:

When you select Right .. both right front & rear come on and stay on ..
no flashing same for left.

Have you checked the voltage under load? This can sometimes lead to
non-flashing.

--
Skipweasel
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Clint Sharp wrote:
You're missing an earth, is the case metal or does it have a metal tag
that needs to be bolted to the chassis?

Bad form to reply to your own posts but there should be a maybe in there
after the 'missing an earth' bit...

Generally, if it's a 'mechanical' flasher it doesn't need an earth. The
heating coil for the bi-metal strip is in series with the lamps and gets
its ground via them.

--
*Cover me. I'm changing lanes.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rick Hughes

"Guy King" wrote in message
The message .com
from "Osprey" contains these words:

When you select Right .. both right front & rear come on and stay on ..
no flashing same for left.

Have you checked the voltage under load? This can sometimes lead to
non-flashing.

Hooked it up to a 12V circuit off the bike ... and loads of current, lit up
20W bulb no problem ... but no flashing, so now convinced the unit is dead
.... at least I have picked one up on eBAY for 99p