Posted to uk.d-i-y
legin

Default hastead ace high intermitent

Hi,
A friend has a Halstead Ace High which trips out intermittently.
Strange thing is though that if you de pressurise the boiler and then
repressurise it starts working again. I have checked through the
circuit diagram and there is no mention of a pressure switch? There is
a flow switch but the pump needs to energise in order to work it. Pump
wont run if circuit board isn't calling for heat. The fault finding is
saying to change the circuit board, checked cet ltd but cannot find the
halstead ace board listed? Raden if you are watching, do you do one?
What really confuses me though is if there is no pressure switch then
how can messing with the pressure fool the boiler into kick starting.
Any pointers please.

Regards
Legin

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ed Sirett

On Sun, 21 May 2006 12:50:13 -0700, legin wrote:

Hi,
A friend has a Halstead Ace High which trips out intermittently.
Strange thing is though that if you de pressurise the boiler and then
repressurise it starts working again. I have checked through the
circuit diagram and there is no mention of a pressure switch? There is
a flow switch but the pump needs to energise in order to work it. Pump
wont run if circuit board isn't calling for heat. The fault finding is
saying to change the circuit board, checked cet ltd but cannot find the
halstead ace board listed? Raden if you are watching, do you do one?
What really confuses me though is if there is no pressure switch then
how can messing with the pressure fool the boiler into kick starting.
Any pointers please.

I've looked through the manual and although this model has no low pressure
switch it does have a unit marked primary flow switch.

It is very possible that this unit is faulty and/or the pump is playing up.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
somebody

In message om, legin
writes
Hi,
A friend has a Halstead Ace High which trips out intermittently.
Strange thing is though that if you de pressurise the boiler and then
repressurise it starts working again. I have checked through the
circuit diagram and there is no mention of a pressure switch? There is
a flow switch but the pump needs to energise in order to work it. Pump
wont run if circuit board isn't calling for heat. The fault finding is
saying to change the circuit board, checked cet ltd but cannot find the
halstead ace board listed? Raden if you are watching, do you do one?
What really confuses me though is if there is no pressure switch then
how can messing with the pressure fool the boiler into kick starting.
Any pointers please.

Regards
Legin

Hi,

Have you tried talking to Halstead Boilers? Talk to them for a diagnosis
of what's wrong, then ask Raden for the (less expensive) parts :-)

I'm sure you know this already but....
http://www.halsteadboilers.co.uk
Technical - 01926 834834

Hth
--
Someone
Posted to uk.d-i-y
raden

In message om, legin
writes
Hi,
A friend has a Halstead Ace High which trips out intermittently.
Strange thing is though that if you de pressurise the boiler and then
repressurise it starts working again. I have checked through the
circuit diagram and there is no mention of a pressure switch? There is
a flow switch but the pump needs to energise in order to work it. Pump
wont run if circuit board isn't calling for heat. The fault finding is
saying to change the circuit board, checked cet ltd but cannot find the
halstead ace board listed? Raden if you are watching, do you do one?

I don't know the Ace High

What's the pcb number ?

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y
legin

I don't know the Ace High

What's the pcb number ?

--
geoff

According to the manual it is 500615 but that is the Makers part
number.
Have read through the circuit diagram again and looked at the exploded
view of the parts. Looking at the position of the thermister (CH) I am
wondering if this is going faulty. I seem to recall that friend said
that the boiler has shut down after a hot water draw off. Looking at
position of the thermister this would be effected by the flow through
the diverter. Possibly throwing a wobly when it gets hot. Friend
depressurises and repressurises with cold water, cools thermister and
the PCB starts to respond again? Probably clutching at straws but it is
certainely a good sign if Raden does not list the PCB. What do you
think Ed.
Thanks Ed, somebody and Raden.

Regards
Legin

Posted to uk.d-i-y
raden

In message .com,
legin writes
I don't know the Ace High

What's the pcb number ?

--
geoff

According to the manual it is 500615 but that is the Makers part
number.

Nope, not in my database

Have read through the circuit diagram again and looked at the exploded
view of the parts. Looking at the position of the thermister (CH) I am
wondering if this is going faulty. I seem to recall that friend said
that the boiler has shut down after a hot water draw off. Looking at
position of the thermister this would be effected by the flow through
the diverter. Possibly throwing a wobly when it gets hot. Friend
depressurises and repressurises with cold water, cools thermister and
the PCB starts to respond again? Probably clutching at straws but it is
certainely a good sign if Raden does not list the PCB. What do you
think Ed.
Thanks Ed, somebody and Raden.

Did you phone me at work today ?

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y
legin

Did you phone me at work today ?

No, I haven't got your phone number to hand. I have rechecked the
manual and it is definately quoting the makers part number as 500615.
Perhaps Ed could see what part number is listed in his manual. I think
that the boiler was also sold by wickes as a 102??

Regards
Legin

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ed Sirett

On Mon, 22 May 2006 12:33:30 -0700, legin wrote:

Did you phone me at work today ?

No, I haven't got your phone number to hand. I have rechecked the
manual and it is definately quoting the makers part number as 500615.
Perhaps Ed could see what part number is listed in his manual. I think
that the boiler was also sold by wickes as a 102??

That is the part number of the PCB for the
Halstead Ace (No mention of High [1])

This has GC No. 43 333 10

If this is the GC Number on your boiler then 500615 is the PCB listed in
the manual.

[1] I'm well suspicious of the possibility that this is a hastily reworked
Halstead ACE with some sort of alteration to make it a ....HIGH i.e.
condensing version. The PCB is likely the same in that case, the GC number
may well be different.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Nick

"Ed Sirett" wrote in message
news
On Mon, 22 May 2006 12:33:30 -0700, legin wrote:

Did you phone me at work today ?

No, I haven't got your phone number to hand. I have rechecked the
manual and it is definately quoting the makers part number as 500615.
Perhaps Ed could see what part number is listed in his manual. I think
that the boiler was also sold by wickes as a 102??

That is the part number of the PCB for the
Halstead Ace (No mention of High [1])

This has GC No. 43 333 10

If this is the GC Number on your boiler then 500615 is the PCB listed in
the manual.

[1] I'm well suspicious of the possibility that this is a hastily reworked
Halstead ACE with some sort of alteration to make it a ....HIGH i.e.
condensing version. The PCB is likely the same in that case, the GC number
may well be different.

Hi Ed,

I have an Ace High - it differs from the Ace by being 102,000 btu instead of
80,000, but it's not condensing.

Mine is 3 years old, so they may have changed the spec though.

Nick