Posted to uk.d-i-y
MarkMc

Default Fridge freezer to use in an outbuilding?

Hi

We put our old fridge/freezer in to an outside coal shed as an overflow
fridge and freezer. Unfortunately, the freezer compartment isn't
freezing, although the fridge works just fine.

When looking online to buy a replacement, we noticed that all the
fridge/freezers we looked at say that they are not suitable for use in
outbuildings.

Can anybody recommend a fridge freezer that is suitable for use outside
and doesn't cost the earth?

Regards,
Mark

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mogweed

"MarkMc" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi

We put our old fridge/freezer in to an outside coal shed as an overflow
fridge and freezer. Unfortunately, the freezer compartment isn't
freezing, although the fridge works just fine.

When looking online to buy a replacement, we noticed that all the
fridge/freezers we looked at say that they are not suitable for use in
outbuildings.

Can anybody recommend a fridge freezer that is suitable for use outside
and doesn't cost the earth?

Regards,
Mark

I don't know why they wouldn't be suitable for use in outbuildings but if
it's true, then it must only be the newer ones so my solution would be to
buy a second-hand, older one. We bought one out of our local paper for £50
because I wanted a beer fridge in the shed and my missus gets the freezer
section ) Four years on and it's still going strong.

Mogweed.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Edgar Iredale

Mogweed wrote:

"MarkMc" wrote in message
[...]

Some freezers and fridge/freezers now need a minimum ambient temperature
well above freezing. I was caught by this a year ago when I bought one
for our unheated utility room behind the garage. I rather think this
particularly applies to fridge/freezers with only one compressor.

Read the manual properly before buying.

I think the problem of fridge working and freezer not may be a failure
symptom of such a fridge/freezer.

Edgar
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Liquorice

On Sat, 20 May 2006 15:20:06 +0100, Mogweed wrote:

I don't know why they wouldn't be suitable for use in outbuildings ...

Do a google on "climate class fridge", bottom of the fourth hit.
Fridges/freezers are designed to operate over given ambient temperature
range. Outside that range they might not be able to maintain the required
internal temperatures (too cold or too warm).

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Guy King

The message . com
from "MarkMc" contains these words:

When looking online to buy a replacement, we noticed that all the
fridge/freezers we looked at say that they are not suitable for use in
outbuildings.

During the summer there won't be a problem, they only fall down in the
winter when the ambient temperature is so low that the fridge bit
doesn't get cold enough to switch the compressor on. The freezing
compartment doesn't have its own thermostat.

There are systems out there with thermostats in both bits, but that's
not what's causing your problems at the moment.

--
Skipweasel

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Guy King

The message
from Owain contains these words:

pineapple and ginger ice-cream

*******! Now I've got to think about how to make some without an
ice-cream maker.

--
Skipweasel
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Fawthrop

On Sat, 20 May 2006 17:12:03 +0100, Guy King wrote:

|The message
|from Owain contains these words:
|
| pineapple and ginger ice-cream
|
|*******! Now I've got to think about how to make some without an
|ice-cream maker.

Yes excellent idea, I am a foodie as well.
Google gives *only* two pages for "pineapple and ginger ice-cream "

Off the top of my head imagining what it would taste like.
4 oz Raw pineapple cut into 1/8ins cubes, dry off juice on kitchen towel.
4 oz candied ginger pieces from the supermarket, chop up to 1/8 cubes.
Standard non machine vanilla Ice cream recipe,
http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/da...eam_4616.shtml
*few* drops of vanilla essence will do in place of vanilla pods. Not a lot
because I want the base ice cream to be blander than vanilla ice cream

Mix together and put in freezer proof bowl, put in freezer Actually
this should be better than using a machine because the machine would mash
up the pieces of ginger and pineapple. I what them left as they are I
want the taste to go *bang* pineapple, *bang* ginger.

Please report if you make it before me.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Guy King

The message
from Dave Fawthrop contains these words:

4 oz Raw pineapple cut into 1/8ins cubes, dry off juice on kitchen towel.
4 oz candied ginger pieces from the supermarket, chop up to 1/8 cubes.

Yup - pretty well what I had in mind. Brown sugar might make it taste
nice, too.
I reckon you'll have to squeeze the pineapple quite dry 'cos otherwise
it'll freeze into very solid icebergs.

--
Skipweasel
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.food+drink.misc
Guy King

The message
from Owain contains these words:

Or ginger wine?

Oooh, that's behind the last bottle of sloe gin. Must remember to make
some more this year.

--
Skipweasel
Posted to uk.d-i-y
David Hansen

On Sat, 20 May 2006 15:57:09 +0100 someone who may be Owain
wrote this:-

Because they only have a thermostat on the fridge. If the outhouse is at
approx-fridge temperature then the little gnome inside thinks "cold
enough!" and stops pedalling the compressor.

Some fridge freezers have a switch inside which can be switched on
in cold conditions. What it does in engineering terms I have no
idea, but they keep the freezer frozen and do not turn the fridge
into a freezer.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.food+drink.misc
Alan Holmes

"Guy King" wrote in message
The message
from Owain contains these words:

Or ginger wine?

Oooh, that's behind the last bottle of sloe gin. Must remember to make
some more this year.

My cousin used to make it, but we have lost touch, and I'd like to make
some, how do you do it?

Alan

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.food+drink.misc
Guy King

The message
from "Alan Holmes" contains these words:

Oooh, that's behind the last bottle of sloe gin. Must remember to make
some more this year.

My cousin used to make it, but we have lost touch, and I'd like to make
some, how do you do it?

Two bottles of gin, one empty bottle. remove a third of each bottle and
put it in the third so you now have three 2/3 full bottles.

Pick sloes - wash off bird turds if that sort of thing bothers you.

Prick sloes - traditionally with a blackthorn thorn, but I find slashing
them with a quick-un-pick or small knife works well[1].

Add sloes to 5/6 full, then add sugar to make up the rest of the volume.

Shake and store. Every few weeks shake gently (the bottles, not with
anticipation).

After about six months, drink with great pleasure.

[1] Some people say freezing them works, but I've tried a batch like
that using the same gin and same year's sloes as the rest, but it wasn't
as good - the colour and flavour were considerably reduced.

--
Skipweasel
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.food+drink.misc
graham

"Alan Holmes" wrote in message

"Guy King" wrote in message
The message
from Owain contains these words:

Or ginger wine?

Oooh, that's behind the last bottle of sloe gin. Must remember to make
some more this year.

My cousin used to make it, but we have lost touch, and I'd like to make
some, how do you do it?

Alan

My grandparents were well known for their sloe gin and they used to send me
out sloe picking - bloody miserable job. Their recipe was very simple: Put
one cup of sloes (each one pricked) into an empty gin bottle followed by one
cup of sugar. Fill the bottle with gin, cap and lay them down somewhere
safe:-) Shake briefly every day (briefly invert the bottle) until the sugar
has dissolved. Leave for 6- 9 months.
Grandfather used to make about a dozen bottles and my Grandmother made
another dozen that he didn't know about:-) They were all given away as
gifts.

One year I found what I thought were really prime specimens and soon filled
my basket. They were small, wild plums (bullaces) that my Gps palmed off on
Uncle Cecil who reckoned that it made the best "sloe" gin he'd ever had. He
enthused about it for years afterwards.
Graham

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.food+drink.misc
Guy King

The message 6c0cg.178908$7a.53143@pd7tw1no
from "graham" contains these words:

Grandfather used to make about a dozen bottles and my Grandmother made
another dozen that he didn't know about:-) They were all given away as
gifts.

We often give people a Christmas pud and a bottle of sloe gin for
Christmas. You can give them the same thing year after year and they
keep coming back for more.

--
Skipweasel