Posted to uk.d-i-y
Garry Nutter

Default Loft Modification.

Some time back we thought WE would convert the loft. That WE was the
wife. Anyway change of plans.

We have a Flink trussed rafters 8 in all. There is a diagonol bracing
going from Bottom Left to Top right across the trusses.

Like here http://www.tra.org.uk/pdf_files/pds4.pdf

Please check Fig 1 Chevron Brace Pinkish in the picture. My brace is
right in the way.

As we dont have the diagonol braces (Green), Only the Chevron type.
Would it be okay to remove part of the Chevron brace and it all still
stay up.

Thanks

Garry

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ian Stirling

Garry Nutter wrote:
Some time back we thought WE would convert the loft. That WE was the
wife. Anyway change of plans.

We have a Flink trussed rafters 8 in all. There is a diagonol bracing
going from Bottom Left to Top right across the trusses.

Along the inside of the trusses, parallel to the roof?

Like here http://www.tra.org.uk/pdf_files/pds4.pdf

Please check Fig 1 Chevron Brace Pinkish in the picture. My brace is
right in the way.

Of?

I can't see anything pink apart from the timber that is running along
the wall.

As we dont have the diagonol braces (Green), Only the Chevron type.
Would it be okay to remove part of the Chevron brace and it all still
stay up.

Probably.
Remove one, or remove them all?
The point of the chevron braces is to stop the roof top moving in the
line of the ridge.
Without it, under large amounts of wind loading, the roof can in
principle collapse sideways.

Adding diagonal bracing does the same thing as the chevron bracing does.

If you add sufficient diagonal bracing, then you can remove the chevron
bracing.

We'd need some information on roof size and cladding, but I'd expect a
timber about the same size as the chevron brace from one corner of each
side of the roof to the other would do just fine.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Guy King

The message .com
from "Garry Nutter" contains these words:

As we dont have the diagonol braces (Green), Only the Chevron type.
Would it be okay to remove part of the Chevron brace and it all still
stay up.

They were all left out of our house when it was built around 1970. It's
still up.

I keep meaning to go up and fit 'em.

--
Skipweasel
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rob

"Garry Nutter" wrote in message
oups.com...
Some time back we thought WE would convert the loft. That WE was the
wife. Anyway change of plans.

We have a Flink trussed rafters 8 in all. There is a diagonol bracing
going from Bottom Left to Top right across the trusses.

Like here http://www.tra.org.uk/pdf_files/pds4.pdf

Well if you need all that I am amazed hundreds of houses I have seen haven't
fallen down by now. It's only the ones that have a roof looking like the
diagram that have had the roof lift or fall off in gales! All a bit OTT and
not required from what I have seen in 25 years.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Burns

Guy King wrote:

They were all left out of our house when it was built around 1970. It's
still up.

Yep, roughly same age of house here, has got the "longitudinal binders"
but nothing corresponding to the "diagonal wind brace" or "chevron braces"

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Guy King

The message
from Andy Burns contains these words:

They were all left out of our house when it was built around 1970. It's
still up.

Yep, roughly same age of house here, has got the "longitudinal binders"
but nothing corresponding to the "diagonal wind brace" or "chevron braces"

To be fair, ours is probably adequately supported by the concrete walls
between houses in the terrace.

--
Skipweasel
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ian Stirling

Andy Burns wrote:
Guy King wrote:

They were all left out of our house when it was built around 1970. It's
still up.

Yep, roughly same age of house here, has got the "longitudinal binders"
but nothing corresponding to the "diagonal wind brace" or "chevron braces"

In practice.

As long as plenty of nails have been used at each joint, rather than
just one or two allowing each joint to easily pivot, I suspect it'll be
just fine.

Why loft vents for boiler and immersion cylinders? Dave Baker UK diy 45 March 14th 06 03:04 PM
Loft conversion - technical questions hansen UK diy 11 April 19th 05 07:51 PM
Loft Space Jon Rowlan UK diy 2 January 21st 05 07:02 AM
Adding CH to new loft - advice please [email protected] UK diy 19 January 7th 04 08:58 AM
Angle Iron for a loft Jim Stewart Metalworking 1 July 17th 03 11:47 PM