DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Solar water heating and combi boilers (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/157876-solar-water-heating-combi-boilers.html)

Andy Wade June 2nd 06 09:26 AM

Solar water heating and combi boilers

David Hansen wrote:

On Wed, 31 May 2006 15:46:41 GMT someone who may be "Pet @
www.gymratz.co.uk ;¬)" wrote this:-

How would one tell?

No idea, I'm not an expert on meter markings. A 1970's model might
just run backwards.

A traditional rotating aluminium disc type of meter will quite happily
run backwards, unaware as it is of the supply contract terms. Modern
digital-display electronic meters which work by accumulating a count in
a data register won't, since (AIUI) they have no mechanism for
decrementing the count.

--
Andy

Keith D June 18th 06 01:32 PM

Solar water heating and combi boilers

So, what is the answer?

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
t...

"David Hansen" wrote in message

I think that those who perhaps mainly have experience of hard water
areas tend to not appreciate what soft water is like.

I think, to be fair, that the same applies to people who mainly have
experience of soft water. When we visit a son in Wiltshire I'm amazed at
the scale on everything touched by water.

Yes, even him :-)

But when we visit a daughter in Wales, whose water is from a spring, we're
surprised that it's even softer than ours.

It certainly made a difference when the water board put hardness in (for
the sake of our arteries).

People
sometimes wonder why I don't use the water softener in my
dishwasher. The reason I don't is that it makes the water far too
soft.

We've never tried it.

Mary

solarman June 19th 06 07:43 PM

Solar water heating and combi boilers

Hi To You all on the subject solar power, albeit water heating or solar
pv.

I think the government should find out the cost to build a nuke power
station and the running costs for 35 years.

then spend all that money to put solar pv panels on house roofs around
the country.

its clean, no harm to anyone and no after effects.

as to solar water heating, i think it is great, we have it, it works,
and i am getting something without having to contribute to Gordn Browns
lifestyle.

Long live SOLAR in any form.

Thankyou for alowing me to let off some steam from my solar panel, its
been hot today.

Tony Bryer June 20th 06 11:57 AM

On 19 Jun 2006 11:43:14 -0700 Solarman wrote :
I think the government should find out the cost to build a nuke power
station and the running costs for 35 years.

then spend all that money to put solar pv panels on house roofs around
the country.

its clean, no harm to anyone and no after effects.

There's the small point that PV panels don't generate much electricity
in the winter. If this was Australia where peak electricity demand is in
high summer then it might just make more sense.

The Natural Philosopher June 20th 06 12:27 PM

Tony Bryer wrote:
On 19 Jun 2006 11:43:14 -0700 Solarman wrote :
I think the government should find out the cost to build a nuke power
station and the running costs for 35 years.

then spend all that money to put solar pv panels on house roofs around
the country.

its clean, no harm to anyone and no after effects.

There's the small point that PV panels don't generate much electricity
in the winter. If this was Australia where peak electricity demand is in
high summer then it might just make more sense.

Thee real solution is to let prices of fossil fuels rise..or tax them
...until people all by themselves start finding cheaper ways to get what
they want..

Energy efficient lightbulbs are very popular because they work, and *pay
for themselves* in a year or two.

Likewise loft insulation..

PV's are not.
Small gas turbines running off kerosene that produced electricity and
whose waste heat produced enough power to heat water, are a distinct
possibility for e.g. hospitals etc.

Tony Bryer June 20th 06 01:38 PM

On Tue, 20 Jun 2006 12:27:00 +0100 The Natural Philosopher wrote :
Energy efficient lightbulbs are very popular because they work,
and *pay for themselves* in a year or two.

For some people. Under the new Part L you cannot make new dwellings comply by increasing the proportion of low energy lighting because any fittings installed may not be there for long:

"Up to 3 low energy lamp fittings had been specified in the original proposals for the dwellings in the sample. The fittings had generally been installed in hallways, landings and some bedrooms, but few remained in the completed and occupied dwellings. Most had been removed by the occupants, and occupants expressed their intention to replace soon those few that remained."

BRE Survey 2004 http://www.est.org.uk/uploads/docume...ort_Oct_04.pdf

My hunch would be that far more 50W spots (x4 or whatever) get installed than low-energy fittings.

David Hansen June 21st 06 08:42 AM

Solar water heating and combi boilers

On Tue, 20 Jun 2006 11:57:47 +0100 someone who may be Tony Bryer
wrote this:-

There's the small point that PV panels don't generate much electricity
in the winter.

They have already got better and that will continue with suitable
support. At the moment they could not be called a sound financial
investment, but that will change. However, money is not the only
reason for doing things, if it was there would be little double
glazing installed in old houses.

Generating electricity from the sun is part of a diverse range of
options. It also comes into its own when electricity consumption is
reduced.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh