DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Solar water heating and combi boilers (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/157876-solar-water-heating-combi-boilers.html)

Colin Wilson May 24th 06 12:14 AM

Solar water heating and combi boilers

My original question was what to do with the surplus electricity. Indeed
I'm not sure what the regs are, currently, wrt to connecting microCHP into
a mains installation. I understand suppliers are concerned about the risk
of their engineers getting fried by power fed back from a CHP generator
into what would otherwise be a dead part of the system under fault
conditions.
Apart from that are there ways of selling surplus power (I recall someone
talking about trading RECs)? Or does one just give it away?

Some suppliers support export arrangements, but not many at present - I
believe this is something being taken up at regulatory level with the
government in line with the proposals for "green" energy targets.

The backfeed issue is, as I am lead to believe, mute, (i`ve raised the
question myself) as any connected load on the network will dissipate the
export rendering it effectively safe (and anyone working on the network
should be treating it as live regardless) - but the protection should
really prevent export in the event of the loss of mains supply.

The energy minister a couple of years ago (a scottish bloke IIRC) was
touted as the first "user" of a turbine generation device that was
described as simply plugging into a standard 13A socket - I got little
mental alarm bells ringing back then about export / protection !

Whether multiple backfeeds may cause a problem in the event of the
failure of one isolating protection device on a segment of network,
thereby putting a voltage back onto the network that may fool other
isolating protection devices to think the mains are energised on the
other hand... Even better if it happens to backfeed something like a
pole mounted transformer - which, lets face it, is likely to be common
in sites with wind turbines as they`re often remote.

Other issues you will likely encounter a

* Standard supply / connection agreements do not typically allow for
export.
* Metering of the installation / export - the metering is relatively
costly compared to a standard meter (possibly due to low volumes).
* Electronic meters may flag up illegal abstraction if the supply
happens to flow in the "wrong" direction.
* The local meter operator may not be in a position to fit the metering
specified by the supplier - in which case the supplier may need to send
a meter fixer a considerable number of miles to do it for them - thats
assuming the local REC allow export back to the network in the first
place...

A suggested work-around I heard was to give anyone exporting an
"allowance" off the bill, but how that would be policed is anyones guess
- everyone will say they`re generating to knock a few quid off ! (and if
the customers' generation equipment fails, how would this be detected to
allow the bills to be adjusted)

For exporting less than 16A/phase I believe G83/1 applies, otherwise
look at G59/1

David Hansen May 24th 06 05:13 AM

Solar water heating and combi boilers

On Tue, 23 May 2006 22:13:43 GMT someone who may be John Stumbles
wrote this:-

Indeed
I'm not sure what the regs are, currently, wrt to connecting microCHP into
a mains installation.

Much the same as connecting a small wind turbine I presume. With
these it must not output electricity if there is not an external
voltage from the mains.

Apart from that are there ways of selling surplus power (I recall someone
talking about trading RECs)? Or does one just give it away?

There are essentially three parts. Firstly reductions in importing
electricity. Secondly payment for exported electricity. Thirdly
amalgamation by your supplier of renewable certificates. As an
example http://www.good-energy.co.uk/home/33_generation.html is one
offer.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh

Mary Fisher May 24th 06 10:54 AM

Solar water heating and combi boilers

"Colin Wilson" wrote in message
t...

The energy minister a couple of years ago (a scottish bloke IIRC) was
touted as the first "user" of a turbine generation device that was
described as simply plugging into a standard 13A socket - I got little
mental alarm bells ringing back then about export / protection !

What happened to that system?

Mary

David Hansen May 24th 06 05:35 PM

Solar water heating and combi boilers

On Wed, 24 May 2006 10:54:16 +0100 someone who may be "Mary Fisher"
wrote this:-

The energy minister a couple of years ago (a scottish bloke IIRC) was
touted as the first "user" of a turbine generation device that was
described as simply plugging into a standard 13A socket - I got little
mental alarm bells ringing back then about export / protection !

What happened to that system?

It was probably the windsave http://www.windsave.com/

Of course the "plug-in" idea is to some extent a marketing gimmick.
I certainly wouldn't have one in any property I look after. However,
as they say in http://www.windsave.com/FAQ_technical.htm#22

"How safe is the system if the plug is pulled out of the socket?

"There are two aspects here to be aware of. Please note that the
applicable regulations demand that our system is safe in all modes
of use, or indeed, 'non-use'. We typically hard wire into a fused
spur, so there is no inadvertent disconnection available in normal
use. When we do use a 'plug in ' technique , the socket for the 13A
plug is also made safe from 'inadvertent unplugging' by means of a
safety cover, which requires a tool (and a 'responsible person') to
remove it. However, also please note that the standards do also
require the system to go 'dead and safe' within 0.4 seconds maximum.
We comply with this, but the above two methods also work to preclude
this aspect of any part 'exposed' remaining live for personal
contact."

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh

Colin Wilson May 24th 06 06:09 PM

Solar water heating and combi boilers

The energy minister a couple of years ago (a scottish bloke IIRC) was
touted as the first "user" of a turbine generation device that was
described as simply plugging into a standard 13A socket - I got little
mental alarm bells ringing back then about export / protection !

What happened to that system?

Not a clue, I never got any answers...

Mary Fisher May 24th 06 08:11 PM

wrote this:-

[...]

sigh I don't understand any of that - but is the company still going?

Mary

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh

David Hansen May 25th 06 11:31 AM

Solar water heating and combi boilers

On Wed, 24 May 2006 20:11:04 +0100 someone who may be "Mary Fisher"
wrote this:-

sigh I don't understand any of that

They only use the plug approach if they have to. Normally they wire
it into a suitable connection unit, of which there is an example at
http://www.mkelectric.co.uk/products...2&rangeid=1030

If they have to use the plug approach then the plug is fitted with a
cover that is screwed into the socket, so that it cannot be
accidentally withdrawn.

No matter how it is connected, the controls are arranged so that if
the external mains voltage disappears then within 0.4 of a second
the controller will stop outputting power to the mains wiring. I
assume it also brakes the wind turbine to a standstill. The external
mains voltage could disappear because the plug is withdrawn, the
cables are removed from the connection unit or cut, or the external
supply fails (a power cut).

This does mean that in a power cut the turbine cannot supply
electricity. There are ways round this, but these are best
supervised by a suitably qualified electrical engineer.

- but is the company still going?

As far as I know. The second wind turbine put up on the BBC2
television programme 'It's Not Easy Being Green'
http://www.itsnoteasybeinggreen.org/index.htm was one of theirs.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh

Mary Fisher May 25th 06 10:30 PM

wrote this:-

sigh I don't understand any of that

They only use the plug approach if they have to. Normally they wire
it into a suitable connection unit, of which there is an example at
http://www.mkelectric.co.uk/products...2&rangeid=1030

But - I'm sorry to be so simple - if the 'windmill' is generating
electricity how can it be used by putting it into the domestic wiring which
is designed to deliver power, not accept it?

- but is the company still going?

As far as I know. The second wind turbine put up on the BBC2
television programme 'It's Not Easy Being Green'
http://www.itsnoteasybeinggreen.org/index.htm was one of theirs.

I've saved that to peruse later. Some things look interesting but I haven't
time now, off to Scotland tomorrow. Back next week.

Don't go away ... :-)

Mary

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh

John Rumm May 26th 06 04:15 AM

Mary Fisher wrote:

They only use the plug approach if they have to. Normally they wire
it into a suitable connection unit, of which there is an example at
http://www.mkelectric.co.uk/products...2&rangeid=1030

But - I'm sorry to be so simple - if the 'windmill' is generating
electricity how can it be used by putting it into the domestic wiring which
is designed to deliver power, not accept it?

The simple answer is, the domestic wiring does not care... much the same
way you can have two batteries in a circuit and draw powwer from them both.

--
Cheers,

John.

David Hansen May 26th 06 10:04 AM

Solar water heating and combi boilers

On Thu, 25 May 2006 22:30:58 +0100 someone who may be "Mary Fisher"
wrote this:-

But - I'm sorry to be so simple - if the 'windmill' is generating
electricity how can it be used by putting it into the domestic wiring which
is designed to deliver power, not accept it?

In essence what it does is reduce the amount of electricity drawn
from the external supply. If the house is not consuming as much as
is being generated then the surplus is fed into the external supply
by the control system.

In the water analogy, water can be sent either way along a set of
pipes with branches. In electricity the "water" is not actually
flowing in one direction. Rather it is flowing in one direction and
then the other constantly. Thus there is no great problem accepting
the wind generated electricity in current circumstances. In fact
local generation tends to smooth operation of the local system.

There would be more serious problems if a large proportion of
electricity was generated in this way.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh

John Rumm May 27th 06 12:31 AM

Solar water heating and combi boilers

Mary Fisher wrote:

You have to understand the limitations of some folk, they expect to be spoon
fed :-)

Talking of which, you still have not told us what water softening you
use with your solartwin system.

--
Cheers,

John.

Mary Fisher May 30th 06 10:08 PM

"John Rumm" wrote in message
Mary Fisher wrote:

You have to understand the limitations of some folk, they expect to be
spoon fed :-)

Talking of which, you still have not told us what water softening you use
with your solartwin system.

I'm sorry, I don't remember seeing the question. We've been very busy and
have had lots of distractions ...

We're not using any water softener, why should we?

Mary

Mary Fisher May 30th 06 10:13 PM

"John Rumm" wrote in message
Mary Fisher wrote:

They only use the plug approach if they have to. Normally they wire
it into a suitable connection unit, of which there is an example at
http://www.mkelectric.co.uk/products...2&rangeid=1030

But - I'm sorry to be so simple - if the 'windmill' is generating
electricity how can it be used by putting it into the domestic wiring
which is designed to deliver power, not accept it?

The simple answer is, the domestic wiring does not care... much the same
way you can have two batteries in a circuit and draw powwer from them
both.

Well, I know I'm only a simple little grey haired old woman but if I tried
to put water from our rain butt into a domestic water tap I'd be surprised
if it would be acepted.

Now you can show off your physics - but not in words of one syllable,
please, I do have a smidgeon of the old fashioned variety.

Mary

Mary Fisher May 30th 06 10:17 PM

wrote this:-

But - I'm sorry to be so simple - if the 'windmill' is generating
electricity how can it be used by putting it into the domestic wiring
which
is designed to deliver power, not accept it?

In essence what it does is reduce the amount of electricity drawn
from the external supply. If the house is not consuming as much as
is being generated then the surplus is fed into the external supply
by the control system.

Ah - so there's some system to 'control' it ... it doesn't just go through
from the generator into the power outlet.

In the water analogy, water can be sent either way along a set of
pipes with branches. In electricity the "water" is not actually
flowing in one direction. Rather it is flowing in one direction and
then the other constantly.

Alternating current I understand.

Thus there is no great problem accepting
the wind generated electricity in current circumstances. In fact
local generation tends to smooth operation of the local system.

There would be more serious problems if a large proportion of
electricity was generated in this way.

I understand that, thank you.

But I hadn't heard mention of an intermediary control system.

Mary

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh

Steve Firth May 30th 06 10:54 PM

On Tue, 30 May 2006 22:13:57 +0100, Mary Fisher wrote:

I'm only a simple little grey haired old woman

Seconded. You forgot to add that you;re a simple grey haired old woman who
believes in an imaginary friend.

but if I tried to put water from our rain butt into a domestic water tap
I'd be surprised if it would be acepted.

If it were of the same quality as tap water then it's feasible.

Does your rain butt have a filter and chlorination equipment? A domestic
generator suitable for on-line use is supplied with equipment to match the
voltage and phase of the generator to the mains, which means that subject
to an agreement with your supplier and suitable metering equipment it's
permitted to generate your own electricity and supply it to the grid.

Pet @ www.gymratz.co.uk ;¬) May 30th 06 11:54 PM

Mary Fisher wrote:

Well, I know I'm only a simple little grey haired old woman but if I tried
to put water from our rain butt into a domestic water tap I'd be surprised
if it would be acepted.

Now you can show off your physics - but not in words of one syllable,
please, I do have a smidgeon of the old fashioned variety.

cue longer than intended response

Think of voltage as "pressure" or in the case of water then "bar"

If your water butt was full and was 30m tall you'd have 3 bar of
pressure at the bottom of your butt. :¬)

If you then plumbed it in to your domestic water pipe which has a
pressure of 2.5 bar then the water from your butt would indeed flow into
your pipes until the butt had drained down by 5m to give the same
effective pressure as your water supply (i.e. the level/depth of water
in your butt is 25 metres from bottom to top.

With me so far...

At which point, when you turn on a tap in the house water would flow
equally from the water but to the tap and from the water main to the
tap. EXCEPT.... the water butt would be a reducing water pressure as
the level reduced whereas the water supply from the main would be pretty
constant. in other words, the water butt would now be acting as a
"pressure storage" device. All water would flow from the water main to
the tap UNLESS the water main pressure dropped, at which point water
from the butt would now flow into the house until both pressures are
again equal.

In the mean time.... it's raining.... an awfull lot, and isn't stopping.
your butt is now trying to fill up, but as we know,when it is full it
has 3 bar of pressure. so........ all the time it's raining and your
butt is trying to create more than 2.5 bar of pressure, the excess water
(that which would take the water deeper than 25m is overcoming the
pressure in the water main and water is flowing into your house to cover
any demand made from open taps etc.

Where there is no demand, the water from the butt keeps trying to
equalise the pressure between the water main and it's self, and flows
back out of the house along the pipe to the water meter, through the
water meter and into the big pipe in the road.

This action causes your water meter to actually run backwards as you are
returning water back to the system.

Conclusion.

Volts (electricity pressure) = Bar (water pressure)
Wind = Rain

If volts or bar are equal from 2 sources (water main & water butt OR
electricity supply & wind turbine) in the same circuit power will be
used equally from both sources. If volts/bar from one source is greater
than the other then the source with the biggest numbers will be the
supplier of the energy/water.

Only thing that doesn't quite tie up is that there will always be 240v
on the ring main and the wind turbine will never output anything above
or below 240v so I can't really see that the electricity meter would
ever actually run in reverse as some might suggest.

HTH

http://Water-Rower.co.uk - Worlds best prices on the Worlds best Rower.

John Rumm May 31st 06 12:03 AM

Mary Fisher wrote:

Talking of which, you still have not told us what water softening you use
with your solartwin system.

I'm sorry, I don't remember seeing the question. We've been very busy and
have had lots of distractions ...

We're not using any water softener, why should we?

Erm, well if you have soft water already then there is no need. If you
don't, then the solar system will scale up since it is continualliy
being fed fresh water rather than recirculated water.

(hence the original question about whether you local H2O was already soft)

--
Cheers,

John.

John Rumm May 31st 06 12:16 AM

Mary Fisher wrote:

The simple answer is, the domestic wiring does not care... much the same
way you can have two batteries in a circuit and draw powwer from them
both.

Well, I know I'm only a simple little grey haired old woman but if I tried
to put water from our rain butt into a domestic water tap I'd be surprised
if it would be acepted.

Now you can show off your physics - but not in words of one syllable,
please, I do have a smidgeon of the old fashioned variety.

Well to use your analogy of the water butt, if you had a pump on it to
raise the pressure so that it was comparable to that of your mains
supply, then it would be "accepted" in the sense that when you turned on
a tap you would end up with a mixture of rain water and fresh water
coming out.

In the case of a power system, the "pressure" is voltage, and the "flow
rate" is current. So get the pressure (voltage) right, and turn on a tap
(plug in an appliance), and water (current) will flow from both sources.

You will need a few no return valves in there to make sure you don't end
up back feeding your generator with mains power, and to ensure that if
you do back feed the mains supply with your generator, it is only done
under certain controlled conditions.

(one presumes that the local generator must also have some way of
aligning the phase of its output with that of the main supply)

--
Cheers,

John.

David Hansen May 31st 06 06:05 AM

Solar water heating and combi boilers

On Tue, 30 May 2006 22:54:19 GMT someone who may be "Pet @
www.gymratz.co.uk ;¬)" wrote this:-

Only thing that doesn't quite tie up is that there will always be 240v
on the ring main

230V plus a little or minus even less.

and the wind turbine will never output anything above or below 240v

It will output a suitable voltage and waveform so that energy flows
"backwards" into the electricity system. Both voltage and waveform
are created electronically.

so I can't really see that the electricity meter would
ever actually run in reverse as some might suggest.

Many meters don't, because they are designed not to, but it would be
amusing to have the sort that does.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh

David Hansen May 31st 06 06:12 AM

Solar water heating and combi boilers

On Tue, 30 May 2006 22:17:01 +0100 someone who may be "Mary Fisher"
wrote this:-

Ah - so there's some system to 'control' it ... it doesn't just go through
from the generator into the power outlet.

The photograph at the top of
http://www.windsave.com/installation.htm shows the box from one
manufacturer. This chops up the DC from the turbine and converts it
to a suitable AC to output. This is a standard process now, used in
many applications, including trams/trains and the UPS systems some
have their computers plugged into.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh

Pet @ www.gymratz.co.uk ;¬) May 31st 06 04:46 PM

David Hansen wrote:

230V plus a little or minus even less.

I thought it was a theoretical 230V to fall in line with some European
ruling whereas in fact the UK voltage didn't ever change they just
factored in a 5% tolerance so 230v +- 5% means that 240v still falls
into line.

But I've prolly mis-interpreted something.

so I can't really see that the electricity meter would
ever actually run in reverse as some might suggest.

Many meters don't, because they are designed not to, but it would be
amusing to have the sort that does.

How would one tell?
Ours is a 1970's model.

http://Water-Rower.co.uk - Worlds best prices on the Worlds best Rower.

David Hansen May 31st 06 05:46 PM

Solar water heating and combi boilers

On Wed, 31 May 2006 15:46:41 GMT someone who may be "Pet @
www.gymratz.co.uk ;¬)" wrote this:-

I thought it was a theoretical 230V to fall in line with some European
ruling whereas in fact the UK voltage didn't ever change they just
factored in a 5% tolerance so 230v +- 5% means that 240v still falls
into line.

Before the change it was 240V plus or minus the same amount (can't
be bothered to look it up). Now it is 230V plus something or minus
less than something. This allows the voltage that arrives at
people's house to remain at around 240V, while allowing people to
claim harmonisation. IIRC the next stage is to set it at 230V plus
or minus something. The voltage will eventually change to 230V, but
not as quickly as party politicians claimed.

Many meters don't, because they are designed not to, but it would be
amusing to have the sort that does.

How would one tell?

No idea, I'm not an expert on meter markings. A 1970's model might
just run backwards.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh

John Rumm May 31st 06 06:31 PM

Mary Fisher wrote:

We're not using any water softener, why should we?

Erm, well if you have soft water already then there is no need. If you
don't, then the solar system will scale up since it is continualliy being
fed fresh water rather than recirculated water.

Silicone piping.

I was asking about the softness of the water, not the pipes! ;-)

If you go he

http://www.yorkshirewater.com/?PC=LS...H=497&OBH=493#

(stick your own postcode into the search box on the bottom left of the
home page he http://www.yorkshirewater.com/ if you want a more local
report than the central Leeads one I picked as an example)

It says:

"The water supplied to the zone is classified as being moderately hard
water, which is river/reservoir derived. As we have a grid system in
place whereby we can move water around the Yorkshire region as required,
occasionally the hardness of your water may vary."

(Alas the loacl report I looked at omits the hardness figures from the
report!)

So the thrust of my question was driven by:

(To quote from http://www.solartwin.com/PDF/Best_practice.pdf)

"Water quality

Best practice in water hardness control is more important for direct
than for indirect solar water heating systems. Direct solar water
heating systems may need robust hardness control: and water softeners
may be difficult to install in a few properties. Unless they are plumbed
“indirectly”, water harness control for direct solar is usually achieved
by polyphosphates where the water hardness is 100-200 ppm CaCO3 and by
the use of an ion exchange softener above this figure. Ion exchange
water softeners are thus regarded as essential best practice. Lower
cost, but less effective hardness control options such as “physical
water conditioning” may be feasible for indirect solar thermal plumbing."

Hence if you water is "moderately hard":

Which from: http://www.yorkshirewater.com/?OBH=1240&SCH=hardness

Gives:

Hardness in mg/l Hardness in mg/l
as calcium as calcium carbonate
Soft 0 - 20 0 - 50
Moderately soft 20 - 40 50 - 100
Slightly hard 40 - 60 100 - 150
Moderately hard 60 - 80 150 - 200
Hard 80 - 120 200 - 300
Very hard Over 120 Over 300

That suggests a 150 - 200 ppm CaCO3 level, which is in the range that
Solartwin recommend you use some form of softening.

--
Cheers,

John.

John Rumm May 31st 06 06:38 PM

Pet @ www.gymratz.co.uk ;¬) wrote:

David Hansen wrote:

230V plus a little or minus even less.

I thought it was a theoretical 230V to fall in line with some European
ruling whereas in fact the UK voltage didn't ever change they just
factored in a 5% tolerance so 230v +- 5% means that 240v still falls
into line.

But I've prolly mis-interpreted something.

No, that is about right. It used to be specced at 240V +/- 6%, all that
changed was the specified voltage was lowered to 230V and the tollerance
widened to allow 240V to meet the spec of 230V -6%/+10%

--
Cheers,

John.

Mary Fisher May 31st 06 09:11 PM

"John Rumm" wrote in message
Mary Fisher wrote:

We're not using any water softener, why should we?

Erm, well if you have soft water already then there is no need. If you
don't, then the solar system will scale up since it is continualliy being
fed fresh water rather than recirculated water.

Silicone piping.

I was asking about the softness of the water, not the pipes! ;-)

Yes dear, but why is there a problem about scaling in silicone piping?

John Rumm May 31st 06 09:27 PM

Mary Fisher wrote:

Silicone piping.

I was asking about the softness of the water, not the pipes! ;-)

Yes dear, but why is there a problem about scaling in silicone piping?

Well one presumes that eventually the collector gets blocked with scale
or the solar pump stops working, leaving you with a nice roof ornament.
You will also get plenty of scale accumulating/forming in the hot water
cylinder, and this is free to migrate into the solar system since it is
directly plumbed.

Scaling in pipes themselves is usually less of an issue (although
micorbore is more at risk) than the rest of the system.

--
Cheers,

John.

Peter Parry May 31st 06 09:48 PM

Solar water heating and combi boilers

On Wed, 31 May 2006 21:11:41 +0100, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

Yes dear, but why is there a problem about scaling in silicone piping?

There isn't, there is one in the metal heat collector and metal
junction pipes the silicone piping attaches to. If you don't use
soft water these quite rapidly become clogged rendering the panel
unusable.

--
Peter Parry.
http://www.wpp.ltd.uk/

Mary Fisher May 31st 06 09:48 PM

"John Rumm" wrote in message
Mary Fisher wrote:

Silicone piping.

I was asking about the softness of the water, not the pipes! ;-)

Yes dear, but why is there a problem about scaling in silicone piping?

Well one presumes that eventually the collector gets blocked with scale or
the solar pump stops working, leaving you with a nice roof ornament. You
will also get plenty of scale accumulating/forming in the hot water
cylinder, and this is free to migrate into the solar system since it is
directly plumbed.

Scaling in pipes themselves is usually less of an issue (although
micorbore is more at risk) than the rest of the system.

It's not microbore.

The domestic pipes don't block from scale and they're not made from low
friction material.

There's lots of room in the cylinder for scale but it tends to stick to the
surfaces and not migrate ...

You seem to think you know more about this system than the manufacturers. Do
you think they haven't addressed these potential problems?

Steve Firth May 31st 06 10:05 PM

On Wed, 31 May 2006 21:48:58 +0100, Mary Fisher wrote:

"John Rumm" wrote in message
Mary Fisher wrote:

Silicone piping.

I was asking about the softness of the water, not the pipes! ;-)

Yes dear, but why is there a problem about scaling in silicone piping?

Well one presumes that eventually the collector gets blocked with scale or
the solar pump stops working, leaving you with a nice roof ornament. You
will also get plenty of scale accumulating/forming in the hot water
cylinder, and this is free to migrate into the solar system since it is
directly plumbed.

Scaling in pipes themselves is usually less of an issue (although
micorbore is more at risk) than the rest of the system.

It's not microbore.

The domestic pipes don't block from scale and they're not made from low
friction material.

And they don't work in the same way or at the same temperatures as a solar
collector.

There's lots of room in the cylinder for scale but it tends to stick to the
surfaces and not migrate ...

The collector is, however the place where fresh water is first heated to a
temperature greater than 60C which means that if scale is likely to form
anywhere it's within the solar collector. The other problem you have if you
have soft water is that you are passing oxygen-rich water through the solar
collector and replenishing it before it can become oxygen depleted as
happens in domestic hot water systems. This oxygen rich water will increase
corrosion.

You seem to think you know more about this system than the manufacturers. Do
you think they haven't addressed these potential problems?

I do. It's not in their interest to solve such problems.

You fall back on faith that insert name here knows much more than any
mere newsgroup reader quite often. Do you imagine that everyone who sells
some domestic appliance is a genius and that only losers read newsgroups?

Mary Fisher May 31st 06 10:16 PM

wrote:

Yes dear, but why is there a problem about scaling in silicone piping?

There isn't, there is one in the metal heat collector and metal
junction pipes the silicone piping attaches to. If you don't use
soft water these quite rapidly become clogged rendering the panel
unusable.

The piping is silicone.

John Rumm June 1st 06 12:30 AM

Solar water heating and combi boilers

Mary Fisher wrote:

'strewth, do you take obtuse lessons?

Scaling in pipes themselves is usually less of an issue (although
micorbore is more at risk) than the rest of the system.

It's not microbore.

Never said it was...

The domestic pipes don't block from scale and they're not made from low
friction material.

Note my comment above: "Scaling in pipes themselves is usually less of
an issue". I was highlighting that pipes are not usually the things most
affected by scale.

You seem to think you know more about this system than the manufacturers.

Sorry, I don't think you are paying attention. I am not trying to back
you into a corner so that I can say "aha! it won't work then
because...", I was just trying to find out more about the system from
someone who has actually used it.

I have no knowledge of the system other than what I have read in the
manufacturers installation manual.

The *makers say* that in a situation with moderately hard water,
hardness control is *required*. Therefore it was my assumption that
since you had it professionally fitted following the makers advice you
must have some form of water softening device fitted.

I just wanted to know what they used!

Is that such a difficult question?

Do you think they haven't addressed these potential problems?

The makers certainly seem to have addressed the issues in their
instructions. Depending on what your installer did, he may have failed
to address a potential problem by ignoring the makers advice.

--
Cheers,

John.

David Hansen June 1st 06 08:24 AM

Solar water heating and combi boilers

On Wed, 31 May 2006 21:48:46 +0100 someone who may be Peter Parry
wrote this:-

Yes dear, but why is there a problem about scaling in silicone piping?

There isn't, there is one in the metal heat collector

There isn't any metal in contact with the water in a Solartwin
panel. It flows through silicone pipes as part of the freeze
tolerant design.

and metal junction pipes the silicone piping attaches to.

The silicone pipes attach close to the hot water cylinder. Any scale
that forms there is going to be little different than they which
forms when the cylinder is heated by the coil.

However, taking account of water hardness is advised by the
manufacturer. In this case I have no idea whether the installers
considered water hardness and decided that it wasn't a great
problem, failed to consider it, or were told not to do anything
about it.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh

Mary Fisher June 1st 06 09:54 AM

"John Rumm" wrote in message
Mary Fisher wrote:

'strewth, do you take obtuse lessons?

I do wonder why you're being so persistent about this. Do you really care
about what kind of water heating we have or do you just like baiting me?

You seem to think you know more about this system than the manufacturers.

Sorry, I don't think you are paying attention. I am not trying to back you
into a corner so that I can say "aha! it won't work then because...",

That's how you come across.

I was just trying to find out more about the system from someone who has
actually used it.

I doubt that you're considering to install one. I've told you how it works
for us, you continue to criticise it.

I have no knowledge of the system other than what I have read in the
manufacturers installation manual.

So why are you bothering?

The *makers say* that in a situation with moderately hard water, hardness
control is *required*. Therefore it was my assumption that since you had
it professionally fitted following the makers advice you must have some
form of water softening device fitted.

YOU haven't been listening. I've said lots of times that we fitted it
ourselves. Hardness has to be added to our water. That's been said here too
and not just by me.

Do you think they haven't addressed these potential problems?

The makers certainly seem to have addressed the issues in their
instructions. Depending on what your installer did, he may have failed to
address a potential problem by ignoring the makers advice.

Spouse installed it, with extra advice and encouragement from the makers
(I've said that before) because he trusts his own skills, so do I. What you
think is irrelevant. We spent months thinking about the system and
researching it and others. We are very happy with it, full stop. We have had
no problems so far with it. We can't anticipate any problems because it was
thoroughly researched (without benefit of your advice, but you can't be on
hand or everyone all the time).

So saying, we understand that nothing is perfect. That wouldn't stop us
buying a new spoon or car or pc or bag of flour.

Perhaps you live in a world where you are confident that nothing you have
will ever let you down. That's not the real world. Stay in it and leave
lesser mortals to enjoy or suffer from their own judgements. Nobody's going
to blame you.

Mary Fisher June 1st 06 09:59 AM

wrote this:-

Yes dear, but why is there a problem about scaling in silicone piping?

There isn't, there is one in the metal heat collector

There isn't any metal in contact with the water in a Solartwin
panel. It flows through silicone pipes as part of the freeze
tolerant design.

and metal junction pipes the silicone piping attaches to.

The silicone pipes attach close to the hot water cylinder. Any scale
that forms there is going to be little different than they which
forms when the cylinder is heated by the coil.

Thanks, David.

However, taking account of water hardness is advised by the
manufacturer. In this case I have no idea whether the installers
considered water hardness and decided that it wasn't a great
problem, failed to consider it, or were told not to do anything
about it.

Spouse installed it. Hardness isn't an issue here.

We don't have softeners, they're not needed and are undesirable. No water -
hot or cold - appliance suffers from scaling over normal periods of use
(e.g. twenty + years for a multipoint water heater, 22 years for a central
heating boiler, a hundred years for a copper kettle ... ).

Mary

David Hansen June 1st 06 10:57 AM

Solar water heating and combi boilers

On Thu, 1 Jun 2006 09:59:32 +0100 someone who may be "Mary Fisher"
wrote this:-

Spouse installed it.

Sorry. I had forgotten that you have said that several times. It's
probably because I'm of the male persuasion:-)

I think that those who perhaps mainly have experience of hard water
areas tend to not appreciate what soft water is like. People
sometimes wonder why I don't use the water softener in my
dishwasher. The reason I don't is that it makes the water far too
soft.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh

Peter Parry June 1st 06 10:58 AM

Solar water heating and combi boilers

On Wed, 31 May 2006 22:16:05 +0100, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

The piping is silicone.

"How hardness affects Solartwin

Is hardness control required? Yes. It is very important our panels
heat up to over 60C.
High temperatures promote limescale deposition.
Limescale could eventually block panels unless controlled...Warranty
is invalid for incorrect hardness methods or thresholds...
For direct installations, use nothing else except:
– Polyphosphate 100-199 ppm CaCO3 only
– Ion Exchange Water Softener 100 ppm CaCO3 and above"

--
Peter Parry.
http://www.wpp.ltd.uk/

Peter Parry June 1st 06 11:02 AM

wrote:

There's lots of room in the cylinder for scale but it tends to stick to the
surfaces and not migrate ...

You seem to think you know more about this system than the manufacturers. Do
you think they haven't addressed these potential problems?

Of course they have - they require the hardness of the water to be
controlled.

"0-99 (max) ppm CaCO3 very soft. No water hardness treatment
to be done here.

100-199 (max) ppm CaCO3 slightly hard-mod hard.
EITHER Fernox Superconc. Preventer OR Ion exch water softener req'd

If EVER over 200 ppm CaCO3 hard-very hard. Ion exchange water
softener required"

--
Peter Parry.
http://www.wpp.ltd.uk/

Mary Fisher June 1st 06 11:43 AM

Solar water heating and combi boilers

"David Hansen" wrote in message

I think that those who perhaps mainly have experience of hard water
areas tend to not appreciate what soft water is like.

I think, to be fair, that the same applies to people who mainly have
experience of soft water. When we visit a son in Wiltshire I'm amazed at the
scale on everything touched by water.

Yes, even him :-)

But when we visit a daughter in Wales, whose water is from a spring, we're
surprised that it's even softer than ours.

It certainly made a difference when the water board put hardness in (for the
sake of our arteries).

People
sometimes wonder why I don't use the water softener in my
dishwasher. The reason I don't is that it makes the water far too
soft.

We've never tried it.

Mary

John Rumm June 1st 06 04:05 PM

Mary Fisher wrote:

'strewth, do you take obtuse lessons?

I do wonder why you're being so persistent about this. Do you really care
about what kind of water heating we have or do you just like baiting me?

Yup I have nothing better to do....

I asked a question that is all. I can't help it if you have to be so
defensive about it. This is obviously a "touchy" subject for you, why I
am not sure, perhaps you expect everyone will challenge your decision to
install it. Not me.

I appreciate you enjoy arguing for the sake of it, but sometimes, just
sometimes you could just answer a straight question.

So to recap in this thread: I have asked about your system, what
components it consisted of, what it cost, what water softening was
installed. Back on topic I have also discussed solutions for combining
solar with a combi, then had a diversion into back feeding AC power
supplies. Mostly you have given in response suspicion, and avoidance.
Did the earth move for you too?

OK I give up, I don't want to know *that* much. Happy now?

You seem to think you know more about this system than the manufacturers.

Sorry, I don't think you are paying attention. I am not trying to back you
into a corner so that I can say "aha! it won't work then because...",

That's how you come across.

Then my presentation or your perception is flawed.

I was just trying to find out more about the system from someone who has
actually used it.

I doubt that you're considering to install one. I've told you how it works
for us, you continue to criticise it.

I am not considering installing one for me, since it would be
incompatible with my system. That does not mean that I don't want to
understand the system, its benefits, and pitfalls, and hence form an
opinion as to whether it would be appropriate for others who *may* want
such a system and might ask me to install it.

Now, show me where I have criticised your system.

I have no knowledge of the system other than what I have read in the
manufacturers installation manual.

So why are you bothering?

So I can find out more. Questions do not indicate hostility. You need to
address your preconceptions.

The *makers say* that in a situation with moderately hard water, hardness
control is *required*. Therefore it was my assumption that since you had
it professionally fitted following the makers advice you must have some
form of water softening device fitted.

YOU haven't been listening. I've said lots of times that we fitted it
ourselves. Hardness has to be added to our water. That's been said here too
and not just by me.

OK fair enough. You have said that. The difficulty is that the small
fragments of information that you did give have been handed out
piecemeal and obfuscated by the additional twittering.

Spouse installed it, with extra advice and encouragement from the makers
(I've said that before) because he trusts his own skills, so do I.

I am sure he did his bit just fine. What I was trying to reconcile was
the conflicting advice - the instructions say use water softening, yet
it seems they did not suggest that you should. This may mean that
someone screwed up, it may be they think they can sell more systems this
way, it may be your water is not actually hard enough to be a problem,
it may be the advice in the instructions is wrong. Who knows? You
probably do, but it seems you don't want to say.

What you
think is irrelevant. We spent months thinking about the system and
researching it and others. We are very happy with it, full stop. We have had
no problems so far with it. We can't anticipate any problems because it was
thoroughly researched (without benefit of your advice, but you can't be on
hand or everyone all the time).

I would not be qualified to offer you advice in these circumstances, and
so I would not.

Again you are being defensive. I was not criticising your purchase. The
only "criticism" I have expressed if you wish to call it that, was the
statement that the type of system you have would be of little use to the
owner of a water heating system that is based on a combi and has no
storage. Personally I don't consider that a criticism.

Perhaps you live in a world where you are confident that nothing you have
will ever let you down.

Yes that would be nice, but I am not *that* delusional.

--
Cheers,

John.