Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris Styles

Default Cleaning mortar splashes

Hi,

It seems that "brick cleaner" or "brick acid" is what I need to clean mortar
splashes from the brickwork on the outside of my house. Just to be clear,
there are not actual lumps of mortar, just the staining from where mortar
has been.

Anyway, look all over B&Q and couldnt find any "brick cleaner".. the old boy
who works there showed me where all the cleaning stuff is, and apparently
they dont sell such a thing (?!)

He suggested Caustic Soda instead. Now, I know this is ideal for cleaning
drains, but what abour mortar stains from bricks? I got some just in case
(it's not expensive, and i'll use it for other things anyway).

Can I use this? If so, what sort of strength/dilution should I use?

Cheers
Chris

Posted to uk.d-i-y
The Medway Handyman

Chris Styles wrote:

Anyway, look all over B&Q and couldnt find any "brick cleaner".. the
old boy who works there showed me where all the cleaning stuff is,
and apparently they dont sell such a thing (?!)

Generic brand name is Disclean any Hire Shop will sell it.

He suggested Caustic Soda instead. Now, I know this is ideal for
cleaning drains, but what abour mortar stains from bricks? I got
some just in case (it's not expensive, and i'll use it for other
things anyway).

No good at all, the exact opposite to what you want.

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Chris Styles wrote:
Hi,

It seems that "brick cleaner" or "brick acid" is what I need to clean mortar
splashes from the brickwork on the outside of my house. Just to be clear,
there are not actual lumps of mortar, just the staining from where mortar
has been.

aka 'patio cleaner.' Use the absolute minimum, it damages some
materials.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Chris Styles wrote:
Hi,

It seems that "brick cleaner" or "brick acid" is what I need to clean mortar
splashes from the brickwork on the outside of my house. Just to be clear,
there are not actual lumps of mortar, just the staining from where mortar
has been.

Anyway, look all over B&Q and couldnt find any "brick cleaner".. the old boy
who works there showed me where all the cleaning stuff is, and apparently
they dont sell such a thing (?!)

He suggested Caustic Soda instead. Now, I know this is ideal for cleaning
drains, but what abour mortar stains from bricks? I got some just in case
(it's not expensive, and i'll use it for other things anyway).

Can I use this? If so, what sort of strength/dilution should I use?

Cheers
Chris

Mortar is alkaline, strong acids will dissolve it. Brick acid is HCl.
Soda is an alkali, which will have no effect on mortar at all.

NT

YQ-95 II Saws type cement concrete road surface crack cleaning machine [email protected] Home Repair 1 June 4th 06 12:20 AM
"Draft Carpet Cleaning FAQ for comments" david lang UK diy 7 November 20th 05 07:29 PM
Carpet Cleaning FAQ david lang UK diy 6 November 20th 05 02:05 AM
custom shower mortar bed question Spud Home Repair 3 January 28th 05 05:39 AM
New whirlpool tub: Part 1: Mortar support? MAG Home Repair 4 June 28th 04 06:14 PM