Posted to uk.d-i-y
Graham Jones

Default How do I calculate this?

I have a portable air conditioning unit that is rated at 1200 watts.

My last electricity bill has the following:

76 kWh at 12.420p
236 KWh at 9.010p

So I reckon I can take the second figure as this is what most of my
electricity is charged at.

So does a unit rated 1200 watts use 1.2KWh, if so then the air
conditioner would cost me:

9.10 x 1.2 = 10.81p

Is this right?

Graham
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Harry Bloomfield

Graham Jones presented the following explanation :
I have a portable air conditioning unit that is rated at 1200 watts.

My last electricity bill has the following:

76 kWh at 12.420p
236 KWh at 9.010p

So I reckon I can take the second figure as this is what most of my
electricity is charged at.

So does a unit rated 1200 watts use 1.2KWh, if so then the air conditioner
would cost me:

9.10 x 1.2 = 10.81p

Is this right?

Per hour yes, but only assuming it ran flat out for the entire hour.
Usually the 1200 watts will be the maximum rating, rather than the
average KWh of normal use where the compressor will switch on and off
dependent on need for cooling.

--

Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Bob Minchin

Harry Bloomfield wrote in message ...
[...]

Also check that the 1200 watts refers to the power input to the a/c not the
heat pumping capacity of the unit.

Bob

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Per hour yes, but only assuming it ran flat out for the entire hour.
Usually the 1200 watts will be the maximum rating, rather than the
average KWh of normal use where the compressor will switch on and off
dependent on need for cooling.

If it's a portable unit it's unlikely to have a compressor?

--
*Why are a wise man and a wise guy opposites? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andrew Gabriel

In article ,
"Dave Plowman (News)" writes:
In article ,
Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Per hour yes, but only assuming it ran flat out for the entire hour.
Usually the 1200 watts will be the maximum rating, rather than the
average KWh of normal use where the compressor will switch on and off
dependent on need for cooling.

If it's a portable unit it's unlikely to have a compressor?

Mine does. And damn heavy it is too ;-)

--
Andrew Gabriel

Posted to uk.d-i-y
dennis@home

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Per hour yes, but only assuming it ran flat out for the entire hour.
Usually the 1200 watts will be the maximum rating, rather than the
average KWh of normal use where the compressor will switch on and off
dependent on need for cooling.

If it's a portable unit it's unlikely to have a compressor?

Its an air conditioner not some toy based on a peltier effect device.