Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Training as an electrician

Hi all, i'm looking for a way into the trade as a 25 year old with no
experience, i've had no luck in finding apprenticeship placements
(despite being prepared to cover the course fees myself as i understand
i am too old in the eyes of the LSC) I have however come accross these
people http://www.newcareerskills.co.uk/ele...an-courses.htm who for
£6K offer a self study course along with 4x1 week practical training
blocks covering the following accreditations...

Essential Electrics - CITB Certificated
16th Edition of the IEE Wiring Regulations City & Guilds 2381
Electrical Portable Appliance Testing City & Guilds 2377
CSCS Site Safety JIB (Joint Industry Board) certificated
Appointed Persons 1st Aid HSE Certificated
EAL certificated Domestic Installer Scheme

They also build a portfolio of the work you do in thier training
centres, help you construct a CV and offer recruitment support

Now i've had plenty of "6K is alot of money" comments (as if i wasn't
aware) but nothing much in the way of alternative advice, ideally it'd
be great to hear from someone with any experience of the company, but
further to that i'd greatly appreciate people's views on this route in,
whether they would consider me employable at the end of it, any
alternative avenues anyone is aware of, or anything else you think may
be helpful to me, i should point out that for the moment i am not
looking to go self employed, i simply want to get my foot in the door
to working as a qualified and competent electrician, thanks for your
time..... Tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y
wattie

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Smells a lot like SPAM to me....

Posted to uk.d-i-y
jon

"wattie" wrote in message

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Well it isn't. Tim is from a forum I frequent and asked there if it was an
ok course, i pointed him here as I said that there were a lot of
knowledgable people here ( as well as arseholes)who would have a better
idea.

It would be interesting to hear from the likes of Christian, and other
sparks if the course can deliver what it promises, ie what would his chances
of gaining employment be like following the end of the course.

Jon

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andrew Gabriel

In article ,
Owain writes:
http://www.newcareerskills.co.uk/ele...an-courses.htm who for

16th Edition of the IEE Wiring Regulations City & Guilds 2381

The IEE do intensive short courses with certification, not at all cheap
(£hundreds), but a lot cheaper than £6k

Used to be very much cheaper in further education and technical
colleges. Now that they've lost their government subsidies, that
may not be the case anymore, unless you are unemployed.

Electrical Portable Appliance Testing City & Guilds 2377

IEE ditto, or a lot of FE / Tech colleges do this periodically, 1 or 2
day course including certification.

Ditto. IME, very few electricians are PAT qualified, and when you
see them doing PAT testing, that's blindingly obvious.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Thanks for the replies guys...

Owain, domestic electrician for the moment i guess, so it seems i don't
need many of these qualifications? Am i right in thinking i only need
2381 and to demonstrate competence to become part P registered? The IEE
intensive course sounds great, although i wonder really how employable
it woud make me, i mean 4 weeks of practical training is better than
none... All i'm really after is enoug behind me to convince a
contractor to hire me, i was hoping the new career skills course might
just about be enough?

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Christian McArdle

It would be interesting to hear from the likes of Christian,

Well, I'm not a Part P qualified electrician. However, if I wanted to become
one, I'd do the two main C&G courses, or better still, pop down to the IEE
to take just the exams. Then I'd find work with a local certfied electrician
until I met the least onerous membership requirements of any of the
certifying bodies.

Of course, this requires that you already know what you are doing. If not,
then the full C&G courses at the local college would be good if you can get
a place. You should also contact local electricians to see if they want a
mate for minimum wage or thereabouts, where you can learn the nitty gritty
of pulling cables until you have the required paper to start earning proper
money. Don't forget to pack a cat, ball of string and a tin of salmon.

Christian.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Thanks guys, right, seriously thinking i should ditch the course now.
Believe me i've tried local electricians, i must have called/mailed
about 100 with absolutely no joy, they either have all the apprentices
they can handle or are only looking for school leavers. With that aside
though would it be the broad agreement of everyone here then that the
best thing for me to do if i could, is find someone who'll take me on
as a mate, and undertake the intensive IEE 2381 and 2391 courses as
suggested above? Looking on the IEE it seems even this would cost me
around £2000 http://www.iee.org/Events/Courses/Sh...c/inspcert.cfm

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Christian McArdle

With that aside though would it be the broad agreement of everyone
here then that the best thing for me to do if i could, is find
someone who'll take me on as a mate, and undertake the intensive
IEE 2381 and 2391 courses as suggested above?

These are definitely the courses you need. Make sure you KNOW it all before
you attend. Make sure you have read the full IEE regs cover to cover and
understand every sentence. Make sure you have the right equipment. Do full
periodic inspections on your house, your parent's houses and anyone in your
street who will let you. If you're lucky, your house needs rewiring. Do it
yourself to get some idea of how cables are run in practice.

Do all this BEFORE you go on the courses. Also, if you have the certificates
before you start ringing up the sparkies, you will be taken far more
seriously. There's nothing stopping you working for yourself immediately.
You just won't be able to sign off stuff, so you would need to submit
building notices. After a few of these a week, the BCO will get so p*ssed
off they might just let you start submitting major works certificates
unchallenged.

Christian.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tim S

Christian McArdle wrote:

[...]

Might get the 2381/2391 cheaper at local evening classes at the local tec.
Though some may insist that you have other C&G quals as a precursor.

Also, although, someone suggested SWA and MICC in connection with industrial
installations, SWA will come up many times anyone wants outside power.

MICC is rarer than it used to be - but someone with an antique or bare stone
building may want it but may not be worth the effort - depends a lot on the
local architecture in your area.

Also suggest going to www.iee.org and searching for a publication called
"Wiring Matters". You can download past copies as PDFs and they have some
great stock solutions to common wiring issues - such as power to an outside
building - but much more besides.

Cheers

Tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Cartmell

In article .com,
wrote:
or are only looking for school leavers

I know it's no consolation - but it's their loss. From experience of placing
mature (normally 20s & 30s) workmen in employment after short (under 12
months) training courses I can confirm that their employers found them to be
generally amongst their best workers, despite initial misgivings.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Make sure you KNOW it all before
you attend. Make sure you have read the full IEE regs cover to cover
and
understand every sentence.

What reading material would you suggest for me to do this? Jon
reccommended i get this
anything else you would suggest? I realise this is a difficult
question, but at a rough estimate how long do you think it would take
a non idiot to get to a stage where he could/should attend and pass
these two courses?

Tim S, i have spoken with both colleges in my area that offer
electrical training and both only do one day a week courses that
require me to be working at the same time

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tim S

wrote:

Make sure you KNOW it all before
you attend. Make sure you have read the full IEE regs cover to cover
and
understand every sentence.

What reading material would you suggest for me to do this? Jon
reccommended i get this

anything else you would suggest? I realise this is a difficult
question, but at a rough estimate how long do you think it would take
a non idiot to get to a stage where he could/should attend and pass
these two courses?

Try asking in the IEE forums - but don't play yourself down, or you'll get
the p*ss ripped out of you something rotton by the established sparks(!).

There are some recently qualified sparks there who should be able to tell
you.

The IEE regs, which are what will be examined in detail by 2381 are long,
complicated and apply to many situations such as farms and industry as well
as domestic. (eg, don't do *this* with your TT earht electrode or you'll
zap your cows sort of thing). Best read in conjunction with one of the
explanatory guides mentioned previously. ie you'll need to learn more than
you actually need, if you see what I mean.

Tim S, i have spoken with both colleges in my area that offer
electrical training and both only do one day a week courses that
require me to be working at the same time

They do seem to attach random and varied conditions for reasons I;ve never
understood (don't they want my money) - IEE might be the way to go.

Good luck,

Tim
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Tim S wrote:
MICC is rarer than it used to be - but someone with an antique or bare
stone building may want it but may not be worth the effort - depends a
lot on the local architecture in your area.

I had to try half the wholesalers in S London to get the bits I wanted for
a bare 2L1 installation.

--
*Time is fun when you're having flies... Kermit

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Christian McArdle

It would, however, be unwise to do anything for other people without
having public liability insurance.

Obviously, there are a raft of things that need to be done before forming a
business in any field, including insurance.

Christian.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Stuart

On Thu, 27 Apr 2006 16:59:35 +0100, "Christian McArdle"
wrote:

It would, however, be unwise to do anything for other people without
having public liability insurance.

Obviously, there are a raft of things that need to be done before forming a
business in any field, including insurance.

Christian.

Very Odd ..These last two mesages about training as an electrician are showing
up in the thread about the size of a tripod screw..Never seen that before .

Stuart