Posted to uk.d-i-y
Stuart

Default Op's Not Posting Replies

Is it just me or does anyone else notice a number of postings where assistance
is requested and given but the OP never comes back to make any further comment
..A bit rude that is it not .?

Stuart
Posted to uk.d-i-y
david thorpe

I think so.

On a group to which I contribute more than this one, people will come
on asking 'if anyone has a phone number for so and so' rather than
just looking in the phone book.

As newsgroup access gets more mainstream via Google and so on, people
see it as a 'free' service like the NHS. They don't understand or care
how it ticks.

Sign o' the times, I'm afraid.

OP never comes back to make any further comment
.A bit rude that is it not .?

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mary Fisher

"Stuart" wrote in message
Is it just me or does anyone else notice a number of postings where
assistance
is requested and given but the OP never comes back to make any further
comment
.A bit rude that is it not .?

It doesn't encourage generous responses.

Mary

Stuart

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Stuart

On Mon, 17 Apr 2006 14:13:36 GMT, Dave wrote:

On Mon, 17 Apr 2006 14:10:37 +0100, Stuart
wrote:

Is it just me or does anyone else notice a number of postings where assistance
is requested and given but the OP never comes back to make any further comment
.A bit rude that is it not .?

Stuart

Don't entirely agree (but I know what you mean). I tend to reply only if there
is something s else to contribute. I do however feel the need to say "thanks"
(genuinely) - but really it is a wob when thousands of people do it so don't
always just for that reason - not intended to be rude or unappreciative.

Actually a bit OT but things I find rude are replies (sarcastic) to shall we
say, the more obvious or mundane things. Yes they should look in the faq and do
own web searches first - but there are diy beginners out there and people who
know a lot about A but not B or perhaps are out of touch with the latest things.
This ng is probably one of the best out there and it doesn't help to discourage
people who might contribute to other things later. If you want an example of
how this *may* occur try posting a query about electrical earthing :-)
Just mho anyway

I know exactly what you mean Dave .I was just reading a reply a few minutes ago
that I thought was downright ill mannered . You actually replied to it as well
saying as much ..lol
Stuart
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy

wrote:

Is it just me or does anyone else notice a number of postings
where assistance is requested and given but the OP never comes
back to make any further comment .A bit rude that is it not .?

Stuart

Don't entirely agree (but I know what you mean). I tend to reply
only if there is something s else to contribute. I do however
feel the need to say "thanks" (genuinely) - but really it is a
wob when thousands of people do it so don't always just for that
reason - not intended to be rude or unappreciative.

I tend to agree with you.

It's unsatisfactory but a post which says only "Thank You" and quotes
the OP and the reply is seen by many people as unwelcome noise.

For this reason I tend not to post back to a thread I started unless
I have something of value to say..

Posted to uk.d-i-y
soup

Stuart wrote:
Is it just me or does anyone else notice a number of postings where
assistance is requested and given but the OP never comes back to make
any further comment .A bit rude that is it not .?

I find that very rude, even if it is just a "thanks all " all the way to
a "I found technique X for doing Y was the best" it is (IMHO) worth
posting, a lot of the time I am not asking how to do something (that's
what I feel faqs etc. are for) but rather an 'opinion' on what people
see as the "best" way to do something, the "thanks all" is a minimum but
a "I used technique X because" often helps someone who wanted to ask the
same or similar. There are times (very few) when I feel I can answer a
question I would appreciate a "thank you" or even a "well everyone knows
that and anyway that is not what I was aking about" to let me know my
idea has been seen and used or discarded.
--
This post contains no hidden meanings, no implications and certainly no
hidden agendas so it should be taken at face value. The wrong words

Posted to uk.d-i-y
The Medway Handyman

Stuart wrote:
Is it just me or does anyone else notice a number of postings where
assistance is requested and given but the OP never comes back to make
any further comment .A bit rude that is it not .?

I know what you mean mate!

Did Ronnie ever sort his driveway? Did Sean lay his floorboards? Did Martin
ever find his brass fittings? What about Pen and the strange boat
electrics? Did Tims pigeons go away? Has Dave bought a cheap SDS? Did
David ever buy his sliding mitre saw?

I'd just love to know!!!

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mary Fisher

wrote:

Is it just me or does anyone else notice a number of postings
where assistance is requested and given but the OP never comes
back to make any further comment .A bit rude that is it not .?

Stuart

Don't entirely agree (but I know what you mean). I tend to reply
only if there is something s else to contribute. I do however
feel the need to say "thanks" (genuinely) - but really it is a
wob when thousands of people do it so don't always just for that
reason - not intended to be rude or unappreciative.

I tend to agree with you.

It's unsatisfactory but a post which says only "Thank You" and quotes
the OP and the reply is seen by many people as unwelcome noise.

Well, not everyone. It's better to err on the side of courtsey.

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Donwill

Did Ronnie ever sort his driveway? Did Sean lay his floorboards? Did
Martin ever find his brass fittings? What about Pen and the strange boat
electrics? Did Tims pigeons go away? Has Dave bought a cheap SDS? Did
David ever buy his sliding mitre saw?

I'd just love to know!!!

Yes!! you'r right, sometimes there are so many solutions offered by
different contributors, I would love to know which solution was tried and
the results. I think it's useful feedback to know which was the successful
method, materials or technique.
Donwill

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Pete C

wrote:

Is it just me or does anyone else notice a number of postings where assistance
is requested and given but the OP never comes back to make any further comment
.A bit rude that is it not .?

I have been guilty of this in the past, meaning to post back in a
couple of days after the job is done. However that part of it gets
delayed indefinitely due to a lack of round tuits...

cheers,
Pete.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Broadback

wrote:

Is it just me or does anyone else notice a number of postings where assistance
is requested and given but the OP never comes back to make any further comment
.A bit rude that is it not .?

I have been guilty of this in the past, meaning to post back in a
couple of days after the job is done. However that part of it gets
delayed indefinitely due to a lack of round tuits...

cheers,
Pete.

The adage "You can't please all the people all the time" applies here.
When I wrote to thank peeps for help I had several irate replies that I
was wasting peoples time, so I rarely do it now. However I do agree
that when a problem has several possible answers posted it is useful to
know which solution was applied and if it worked.

--
Please do not reply to this Email address,
as all Emails are deleted before opened.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Eric The Viking

Actually a bit OT but things I find rude are replies (sarcastic) to shall
we
say, the more obvious or mundane things. Yes they should look in the faq
and do
own web searches first - but there are diy beginners out there and people
who
know a lot about A but not B or perhaps are out of touch with the latest
things.
This ng is probably one of the best out there and it doesn't help to
discourage
people who might contribute to other things later. If you want an example
of
how this *may* occur try posting a query about electrical earthing :-)
Just mho anyway

Yes, this type of reply is especially annoying if you find the OP whilst
searching Google groups and the answer you find is "Read the FAQ" or "Try
Google".

ETV

Posted to uk.d-i-y
fred

In article , Broadback
writes
wrote:

Is it just me or does anyone else notice a number of postings where assistance
is requested and given but the OP never comes back to make any further

comment
.A bit rude that is it not .?

I have been guilty of this in the past, meaning to post back in a
couple of days after the job is done. However that part of it gets
delayed indefinitely due to a lack of round tuits...

cheers,
Pete.

The adage "You can't please all the people all the time" applies here.
When I wrote to thank peeps for help I had several irate replies that I
was wasting peoples time, so I rarely do it now. However I do agree
that when a problem has several possible answers posted it is useful to
know which solution was applied and if it worked.

It's nice to get a bit of feedback to gauge the success, or otherwise, of any
advice. I think 'thanks, I did it this way and it worked (or didn't)' helps
everyone. When it's a couple of weeks or more later then a separate thread
is usually a good idea, my threads certainly expire after 10days.
--
fred
Plusnet - I hope you like vanilla
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andrew Gabriel

wrote:

Is it just me or does anyone else notice a number of postings where assistance
is requested and given but the OP never comes back to make any further comment
.A bit rude that is it not .?

I have been guilty of this in the past, meaning to post back in a
couple of days after the job is done. However that part of it gets
delayed indefinitely due to a lack of round tuits...

Exactly the same here. Also, I try not to create too much noise
over signal, and a thank-you with nothing else to say isn't
really "signal", although I'm open to suggestions to the contrary.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mungo

Andrew Gabriel wrote:

Exactly the same here. Also, I try not to create too much noise
over signal, and a thank-you with nothing else to say isn't
really "signal", although I'm open to suggestions to the contrary.

Pre-empt the gratitude in the original question: sign off with "Thanks
in advance".

Mungo (just a guilty of unintentional ingratitude as others here ;-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mary Fisher

wrote:

Is it just me or does anyone else notice a number of postings where
assistance
is requested and given but the OP never comes back to make any further
comment
.A bit rude that is it not .?

I have been guilty of this in the past, meaning to post back in a
couple of days after the job is done. However that part of it gets
delayed indefinitely due to a lack of round tuits...

cheers,
Pete.

The adage "You can't please all the people all the time" applies here.
When I wrote to thank peeps for help I had several irate replies that I
was wasting peoples time,

I've never had that response.

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y
pen

The Medway Handyman wrote:
Stuart wrote:
Is it just me or does anyone else notice a number of postings where
assistance is requested and given but the OP never comes back to make
any further comment .A bit rude that is it not .?

I know what you mean mate!

Did Ronnie ever sort his driveway? Did Sean lay his floorboards? Did Martin
ever find his brass fittings? What about Pen and the strange boat
electrics? Did Tims pigeons go away? Has Dave bought a cheap SDS? Did
David ever buy his sliding mitre saw?

I'd just love to know!!!

Pen here, and I'm still thinking about the boat. At the least I'm
going to replace the sockets where I plug in the kettle and the
hairdryer for standard "Euro" ones - the boat is kept in Spain and if
we need to replace an appliance I'm sure we'll buy locally. Certainly
the replies to my original query reinforced my fears that US sockets
weren't up to the job (thanks guys). But we have a more pressing
problem with the main circuit breaker which is prone to trip without
cause, so I'll wait until that's sorted by a real electrician before I
start playing around with the wiring.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
The Natural Philosopher

soup wrote:
Stuart wrote:
Is it just me or does anyone else notice a number of postings where
assistance is requested and given but the OP never comes back to make
any further comment .A bit rude that is it not .?

I find that very rude, even if it is just a "thanks all " all the way to
a "I found technique X for doing Y was the best" it is (IMHO) worth
posting, a lot of the time I am not asking how to do something (that's
what I feel faqs etc. are for) but rather an 'opinion' on what people
see as the "best" way to do something, the "thanks all" is a minimum but
a "I used technique X because" often helps someone who wanted to ask the
same or similar. There are times (very few) when I feel I can answer a
question I would appreciate a "thank you" or even a "well everyone knows
that and anyway that is not what I was aking about" to let me know my
idea has been seen and used or discarded.

Yes, but this is Usenet, and the Internet, and it runs itself in a truly
democratic fashion.

People who are habitual takers will find themselves ignored if they
continue.

On many threads, I have just one thing to say, I say it, and ignore the
thread thereafter.

Very few threads hold my interest..so if people take my advice, and
thank me, or not, really isn't an issue.

If I wasn't prepared to do it for free I wouldn't be doing it at all.

Complaining about Usenet is a total waste of a life. It is what it is,
take it or leave it, and the only bit you can change is your own postings.

With that.. I shall leave this thread.

Bye....----

Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm

Dave wrote:

Actually a bit OT but things I find rude are replies (sarcastic) to shall we
say, the more obvious or mundane things. Yes they should look in the faq and do
own web searches first - but there are diy beginners out there and people who
know a lot about A but not B or perhaps are out of touch with the latest things.
This ng is probably one of the best out there and it doesn't help to discourage
people who might contribute to other things later.

Yup quite agree. The shame is there are a handful of regular posters who
seem to exist for this sole purpose. They answer a question with a
putdown, and yet offer no actual information.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm

Eric The Viking wrote:

Yes, this type of reply is especially annoying if you find the OP whilst
searching Google groups and the answer you find is "Read the FAQ" or "Try
Google".

Posting a comment to read the FAQ can be acceptable, but at least post a
link ot the FAQ while you are at it! (Or with google, give a clue as to
what to search on)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm

The Medway Handyman wrote:

I know what you mean mate!

Did Ronnie ever sort his driveway? Did Sean lay his floorboards? Did Martin
ever find his brass fittings? What about Pen and the strange boat
electrics? Did Tims pigeons go away? Has Dave bought a cheap SDS? Did
David ever buy his sliding mitre saw?

I'd just love to know!!!

Perhaps we should start a tradition of a regular (ish) thread of
results. Posted (say) once a month, everyone can tag any interesting
outcomes etc onto it for those of us interested in the result. That way
it should not be too objectionable for those who think of it as "noise"

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm

Dave wrote:

Back to thread: I think the occasion bit of humour (as pathetically illustrated
by me above) is not a bad thing.

Yup, I have no problem with that! (even the really bad pun fests that we
sometimes degenerate into)!

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote:
Dave wrote:

Back to thread: I think the occasion bit of humour (as pathetically illustrated
by me above) is not a bad thing.

Yup, I have no problem with that! (even the really bad pun fests that we
sometimes degenerate into)!

A pun fest is a fun pest, fun for some, pest for others.

I have a different theory. I reckon many OPs dont post back cos they
took out advice, and are now dead.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rob Morley

In article
The Medway Handyman wrote:
Stuart wrote:
Is it just me or does anyone else notice a number of postings where
assistance is requested and given but the OP never comes back to make
any further comment .A bit rude that is it not .?

I know what you mean mate!

Did Ronnie ever sort his driveway? Did Sean lay his floorboards? Did Martin
ever find his brass fittings? What about Pen and the strange boat
electrics? Did Tims pigeons go away? Has Dave bought a cheap SDS? Did
David ever buy his sliding mitre saw?

I'd just love to know!!!

They're all hospitalised after following advice received here :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mike Halmarack

wrote:

Is it just me or does anyone else notice a number of postings where assistance
is requested and given but the OP never comes back to make any further comment
.A bit rude that is it not .?

I have been guilty of this in the past, meaning to post back in a
couple of days after the job is done. However that part of it gets
delayed indefinitely due to a lack of round tuits...

cheers,
Pete.

The adage "You can't please all the people all the time" applies here.
When I wrote to thank peeps for help I had several irate replies that I
was wasting peoples time, so I rarely do it now.

Many people are desperate for something to be irate about.
Fortunately, with this situation, it seems a complaint can be
justified whether people say thanks, or not.

However I do agree
that when a problem has several possible answers posted it is useful to
know which solution was applied and if it worked.

--
Regards,
Mike Halmarack

Drop the (EGG) to email me.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mary Fisher

"John Rumm" wrote in message

Perhaps we should start a tradition of a regular (ish) thread of results.
Posted (say) once a month, everyone can tag any interesting outcomes etc
onto it for those of us interested in the result. That way it should not
be too objectionable for those who think of it as "noise"

Excellent idea.

Mary

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mary Fisher

"Dave" wrote in message

[We don't need no steekin picture hooks. Rawl plugs, for men, now ]

Back to thread: I think the occasion bit of humour (as pathetically
illustrated
by me above) is not a bad thing.

Not at all pathetic but I prefer picture hooks. There again, I'm a woman and
know how to use them :-)

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y
soup

The Natural Philosopher wrote:.
If I wasn't prepared to do it for free I wouldn't be doing it at all.
Complaining about Usenet is a total waste of a life. It is what it is,
take it or leave it, and the only bit you can change is your own
postings.

I know you will not see this but I will reply anyway. I was in no way
complaining about usenet (a futile exercise if there ever was one) but
it is nice to be told what (if any) part of your advice was taken, a
thank you is in no way looked for but telling you you were right wrong
or indifferent is. I would much prefer some feedback like this but if
the OP only posts a thanks so be it. To not acknowledge answers at all
is rude (IMHO) .
The important question now is what sort of time scale should be
expected for replies .
If the question is about a DIY project maybe many weeks even months may
pass before the advice is used on the other hand if it is a then and
there question maybe the next day or even later that day is when
feedback should be left. For instance someone may ask on a Monday should
they buy drill X or Y then they think about it all week and it isn't
till the Saturday that it is bought so no answer untill the following
Monday (weekends being for DIY not "playing" on the computer) a week fo
what is a (on first sight) a simple question
I have been lambasted by a poster in another NG as I hadn't thanked
him,ok it was a complicated question and an even more complicated answer
with links, background etc but his rant was only 18 hours after I had
asked the question (now between earning a living and not always being on
the computer, 18 hours is nothing).

--
This post contains no hidden meanings, no implications and certainly no
hidden agendas so it should be taken at face value. The wrong words
may be used this is due to my limitations with the English language .

Posted to uk.d-i-y
The Natural Philosopher

soup wrote:
[...]

There's another bit of your life wasted expecting a reply that I am not
going to give ;-) Beyond this.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
soup

The Natural Philosopher wrote:
There's another bit of your life wasted expecting a reply that I am
not going to give ;-) Beyond this.

Ah but I wasn't expecting a reply as you had said(typed whatever) that
you would ignore this thread. Basically (if you want) you can consider
my "not expecting a reply but I will say it anyway" post as "talking" to
my self. Yes I am a bit of a loony talking to myself but at least then
I am sure of getting the reply I want. )
--
This post contains no hidden meanings, no implications and certainly no
hidden agendas so it should be taken at face value. The wrong words
may be used this is due to my limitations with the English language .

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mary Fisher

"soup" wrote in message
. uk...
The Natural Philosopher wrote:
There's another bit of your life wasted expecting a reply that I am
not going to give ;-) Beyond this.

Ah but I wasn't expecting a reply as you had said(typed whatever) that
you would ignore this thread. Basically (if you want) you can consider
my "not expecting a reply but I will say it anyway" post as "talking" to
my self. Yes I am a bit of a loony talking to myself but at least then
I am sure of getting the reply I want. )

Oh for Goodness' sake - shaddap!

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y
news

In message , Broadback
writes

When I wrote to thank peeps for help I had several irate replies that I
was

When you wrote to thank WHAT? Such babytalk is enough to make anyone
irate. Do you talk about "pooters" as well by any chance?

:-))

--
Ian

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mary Fisher

"news" wrote in message
In message , Broadback
writes

When I wrote to thank peeps for help I had several irate replies that I
was

When you wrote to thank WHAT? Such babytalk is enough to make anyone
irate. Do you talk about "pooters" as well by any chance?

:-)

I'm glad I'm not the only one who finds this childish!

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris Bacon

news wrote:
Broadback writes
When I wrote to thank peeps for help I had several irate replies that
I was

Sometimes writing a "thank you" can include putting in extra information
that's useful.

Do you talk about "pooters" as well by any chance?

If he's an entomologist he might...
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Bob Eager

On Tue, 18 Apr 2006 20:23:36 UTC, Owain
wrote:

I thought "peeps" was an Americanism, but sometimes it's hard to
differentiate.

I first came across it as part of the Harry Enfield catchphrase for his
kebab shop owner - "Hello, peeps". As such, the grating has worn off a
bit. But I abhor 'puter'..!

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mary Fisher

"Owain" wrote in message
Mary Fisher wrote:
"news" wrote
When I wrote to thank peeps for help I had several irate replies that I
was
When you wrote to thank WHAT? Such babytalk is enough to make anyone
irate. Do you talk about "pooters" as well by any chance?

:-)
I'm glad I'm not the only one who finds this childish!

I thought "peeps" was an Americanism, but sometimes it's hard to
differentiate.

As far as I remember I've only seen it in British posts - but my memory for
such things isn't reliable. However, being an Americanism isn't an excuse
for using it :-)

Mary

Owain

MOREMONEY [email protected] Home Ownership 0 December 8th 05 07:08 PM
MOREMONEY [email protected] Home Ownership 0 December 8th 05 04:13 AM
more money David Woodworking 1 December 7th 05 09:36 PM
more money David Home Repair 0 December 7th 05 07:38 PM