Posted to uk.d-i-y
raden

Default All these posts without context

What's going on with all these posts suddenly appearing with no context
shown

at first it was just plumber pete, but it seems to be a disease which is
spreading

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y
chris French

In message , raden
writes

What's going on with all these posts suddenly appearing with no context
shown

Don't seem to be seeing this - not that I read all the threads, do you
ahev some example thread titles/ message ID's
--
Chris French

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Steve Firth

raden wrote:

What's going on with all these posts suddenly appearing with no context
shown

at first it was just plumber pete, but it seems to be a disease which is
spreading

It's the curse of Google groups.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Phil L

raden wrote:
What's going on with all these posts suddenly appearing with no
context shown

at first it was just plumber pete, but it seems to be a disease which
is spreading

I'm not seeing any of these.
Have you tried resetting the local file?

Posted to uk.d-i-y
VisionSet

"chris French" wrote in message
In message , raden
writes

What's going on with all these posts suddenly appearing with no context
shown

Don't seem to be seeing this - not that I read all the threads, do you
ahev some example thread titles/ message ID's

Christ, haven't you got some paint to watch drying or something? ;-)

--
Mike W

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Hall

On Sun, 09 Apr 2006 20:16:11 GMT, raden wrote:

Which disease?

--

..andy

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Phil L

raden wrote:
In message , chris French
writes
In message , raden
writes

What's going on with all these posts suddenly appearing with no
context shown

Don't seem to be seeing this - not that I read all the threads, do
you ahev some example thread titles/ message ID's

Look at the posts on e.g. the three way valve

there seem to be three posters

gasman pete -
dg -

richard -

And 'sparks'
And 'mike' and you

There is just their reply with no previous posts included

There's about 18 posts in that thread, if you've not reset the LF you may be
out of memory

Posted to uk.d-i-y
raden

In message , chris French
writes
In message , raden
writes

What's going on with all these posts suddenly appearing with no
context shown

Don't seem to be seeing this - not that I read all the threads, do you
ahev some example thread titles/ message ID's

Look at the posts on e.g. the three way valve

there seem to be three posters

gasman pete -
dg -

richard -

There is just their reply with no previous posts included

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y
gasman pete

In the case of gasman pete, he's using GoogleGroups. They've probably
"upgraded" and broken it again.

ha ha I like it....
maybee someone can tell me where to get into newsgroups other than
google and co...
I am using mozzila as a browser if that helps
pete

Posted to uk.d-i-y
raden

In message , Andy Hall
writes
On Sun, 09 Apr 2006 20:16:11 GMT, raden wrote:

Which disease?

Google groups, it seems

it can be cured

--
geoff

Posted to uk.d-i-y
raden

In message , Phil L
writes
raden wrote:
In message , chris French
writes
In message , raden
writes

What's going on with all these posts suddenly appearing with no
context shown

Don't seem to be seeing this - not that I read all the threads, do
you ahev some example thread titles/ message ID's

Look at the posts on e.g. the three way valve

there seem to be three posters

gasman pete -
dg -

richard -

And 'sparks'
And 'mike' and you

There is just their reply with no previous posts included

There's about 18 posts in that thread, if you've not reset the LF you may be
out of memory

What, you're saying that my posts are not including those of who I'm
replying to in them ?

Not from where I am - I can see other people's posts in their replies to
my posts

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y
raden

In message .com,
gasman pete writes
In the case of gasman pete, he's using GoogleGroups. They've probably
"upgraded" and broken it again.

ha ha I like it....
maybee someone can tell me where to get into newsgroups other than
google and co...
I am using mozzila as a browser if that helps
pete

Well, your post worked there

it includes the post to which you're replying and so gives others a clue
what you're on about

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Phil L

raden wrote:
In message , Phil L
writes
raden wrote:
In message , chris French
writes
In message , raden
writes

What's going on with all these posts suddenly appearing with no
context shown

Don't seem to be seeing this - not that I read all the threads, do
you ahev some example thread titles/ message ID's

Look at the posts on e.g. the three way valve

there seem to be three posters

gasman pete -
dg -

richard -

And 'sparks'
And 'mike' and you

There is just their reply with no previous posts included

There's about 18 posts in that thread, if you've not reset the LF
you may be out of memory

What, you're saying that my posts are not including those of who I'm
replying to in them ?

Not from where I am - I can see other people's posts in their replies
to my posts

What I meant was that there are other posters within that thread.
And as has been explained this is google groups for you, it's been like this
for months on and off, mostly on.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
raden

In message , Phil L
writes
raden wrote:
In message , Phil L
writes
raden wrote:
In message , chris French
writes
In message , raden
writes

[...]

No, this is a newsgroup - uk.d-i-y

to access it correctly you need a ... newsreader

not the broken offspring of a search engine

--
geoff

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Phil L

raden wrote:

No, this is a newsgroup - uk.d-i-y

I know, I was explaining to you that this is what google groups is like,
this is what it does, not *this* is google groups.

to access it correctly you need a ... newsreader

not the broken offspring of a search engine

I've been around usenet for at least 7 years thanks and know how to decipher
headers.
TIP: if you right click a post and look at the properties you can see what
newsreader the poster is using, at least this can be done in OE, Turnpike
may be different, but it's no use going ballistic every time somneone
oversnips, a simple look at the headers would have shown you what the real
problem was/is.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mark

raden wrote in message

What's going on with all these posts suddenly appearing with no
context shown

gasman pete -
There is just their reply with no previous posts included

he an AOL user posting from Google, so I hope you have stocked up on the
Diazepam if you intend to put him straight.

-

Posted to uk.d-i-y
VisionSet

"raden" wrote in message

What I meant was that there are other posters within that thread.
And as has been explained this is google groups for you, it's been like

this
for months on and off, mostly on.

No, this is a newsgroup - uk.d-i-y

to access it correctly you need a ... newsreader

not the broken offspring of a search engine

You don't dictate to users what they do.
The user makes a descision for themselves based on what is available.
Ultimately it is the software developer that needs education not the user.
IT is a facilitator not a goal in itself.
For a start, like you don't access email from the few locations you dictate
the software, you shouldn't be limited to posting from those few locations
either.

--
Mike W

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jason

"raden" wrote in message

What's going on with all these posts suddenly appearing with no context
shown

Dunno about the context, but I've noticed (from here at least) the threads
are broken up all over the place, making it even harder to piece them
together.

-- JJ

Posted to uk.d-i-y
raden

In message , VisionSet
writes

"raden" wrote in message

What I meant was that there are other posters within that thread.
And as has been explained this is google groups for you, it's been like

this
for months on and off, mostly on.

No, this is a newsgroup - uk.d-i-y

to access it correctly you need a ... newsreader

not the broken offspring of a search engine

You don't dictate to users what they do.

Where have I dictated above ?

The user makes a descision for themselves based on what is available.

And I make the decision to have a go at them because it renders threads
unreadable

Ultimately it is the software developer that needs education not the user.
IT is a facilitator not a goal in itself.

For a start, like you don't access email from the few locations you dictate
the software, you shouldn't be limited to posting from those few locations
either.

As long as the s/w works - which it obviously doesn't

--
geoff

Posted to uk.d-i-y
raden

In message , Phil L
writes
raden wrote:

No, this is a newsgroup - uk.d-i-y

I know, I was explaining to you that this is what google groups is like,
this is what it does, not *this* is google groups.

Then get a newsreader which isn't borked

to access it correctly you need a ... newsreader

not the broken offspring of a search engine

I've been around usenet for at least 7 years thanks and know how to decipher
headers.
TIP: if you right click a post and look at the properties you can see what
newsreader the poster is using, at least this can be done in OE, Turnpike
may be different,

It is

but it's no use going ballistic every time somneone
oversnips,

But I'm a Netz Nazi

a simple look at the headers would have shown you what the real
problem was/is.

The solution lies in getting a working newsreader, doesn't it

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Nick

gasman pete wrote:
In the case of gasman pete, he's using GoogleGroups. They've probably
"upgraded" and broken it again.

ha ha I like it....
maybee someone can tell me where to get into newsgroups other than
google and co...
I am using mozzila as a browser if that helps

In Mozilla, click on Window. Do you see Mail & Newsgroups there?
If so, click on that and choose News Account. From there you can
choose the groups you want to subscribe to.
You will need to know the server name etc, but that applies to
all newsreaders.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Phil L

raden wrote:
In message , Phil L
writes
raden wrote:

No, this is a newsgroup - uk.d-i-y

I know, I was explaining to you that this is what google groups is
like, this is what it does, not *this* is google groups.

Then get a newsreader which isn't borked

What planet are you on? - there's nothing wrong with my newsreader - I'm not
the one complaining, you are.

to access it correctly you need a ... newsreader

not the broken offspring of a search engine

I've been around usenet for at least 7 years thanks and know how to
decipher headers.
TIP: if you right click a post and look at the properties you can
see what newsreader the poster is using, at least this can be done
in OE, Turnpike may be different,

It is

So there is no option in Turnpike to look at the properties of a post?

but it's no use going ballistic every time somneone
oversnips,

But I'm a Netz Nazi

a simple look at the headers would have shown you what the real
problem was/is.

The solution lies in getting a working newsreader, doesn't it

No, the solution lies in people understanding those using google groups -
not everyone has news access from their ISP and therefore no need for a
newsreader/client.

HTH

Posted to uk.d-i-y
raden

In message , Phil L
writes

a simple look at the headers would have shown you what the real
problem was/is.

The solution lies in getting a working newsreader, doesn't it

No, the solution lies in people understanding those using google groups -
not everyone has news access from their ISP and therefore no need for a
newsreader/client.

You wouldn't take a car out on the road with no brakes would you ?

get a newsreader that works

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Phil L

raden wrote:
In message , Phil L
writes

a simple look at the headers would have shown you what the real
problem was/is.

The solution lies in getting a working newsreader, doesn't it

No, the solution lies in people understanding those using google
groups - not everyone has news access from their ISP and therefore
no need for a newsreader/client.

You wouldn't take a car out on the road with no brakes would you ?

get a newsreader that works

I've got one thanks, I've been using it for years, try using yours.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
raden

In message , Phil L
writes
raden wrote:
In message , Phil L
writes

a simple look at the headers would have shown you what the real
problem was/is.

The solution lies in getting a working newsreader, doesn't it

No, the solution lies in people understanding those using google
groups - not everyone has news access from their ISP and therefore
no need for a newsreader/client.

You wouldn't take a car out on the road with no brakes would you ?

get a newsreader that works

I've got one thanks, I've been using it for years, try using yours.

....But mine does

it doesn't drop previous posts, it allows me to post contextually and
snip unwanted crap

all it needs is a **** filter, obviously

why do they always have hotmail accounts ?

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Weatherlawyer

raden wrote:

The solution lies in getting a working newsreader, doesn't it

No you dork, just put them in the kill file if you can't be bothered
explaining it to the posters concerned.

Get a life.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
raden

In message .com,
Weatherlawyer writes

raden wrote:

The solution lies in getting a working newsreader, doesn't it

No you dork, just put them in the kill file if you can't be bothered
explaining it to the posters concerned.

Get a life.

One has to try ...

I have never killfiled anyone

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Fawthrop

On 9 Apr 2006 20:49:28 GMT, Huge wrote:

|On 2006-04-09, chris French wrote:
| In message , raden
| writes
|
|What's going on with all these posts suddenly appearing with no context
|shown
|
| Don't seem to be seeing this - not that I read all the threads, do you
| ahev some example thread titles/ message ID's

I see it regularly

|They're followups from Google Groups.

It is easy to follow up with context from google groups,

Posted to uk.d-i-y
chris French

In message , Phil L
writes
raden wrote:
In message , Phil L
writes
I've been around usenet for at least 7 years thanks and know how to
decipher headers.
TIP: if you right click a post and look at the properties you can
see what newsreader the poster is using, at least this can be done
in OE, Turnpike may be different,

It is

So there is no option in Turnpike to look at the properties of a post?

there is (Ctrl+H toggles full header view off and on), I think Geoff
meant it was different.
--
Chris French

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mike Barnes

In uk.d-i-y, Phil L wrote:
raden wrote:
In message , Phil L
writes
TIP: if you right click a post and look at the properties you can
see what newsreader the poster is using, at least this can be done
in OE, Turnpike may be different,

It is

So there is no option in Turnpike to look at the properties of a post?

Usenet messages don't have "properties" except in the minds of writers
and users of some software such as OE. The term "properties" comes from
Windows, not Usenet.

A Turnpike user just looks at the complete unabridged message (View: All
Headers, or Ctrl+H), from which OE derives its "properties". In the
header section of the message is, for example,

Mike Barnes
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mathew Newton

raden wrote:

No, this is a newsgroup - uk.d-i-y

to access it correctly you need a ... newsreader

not the broken offspring of a search engine

Can you explain what's wrong with this particular post (posted from
said offspring)...?

Mathew

Posted to uk.d-i-y
The Natural Philosopher

chris French wrote:
In message , raden writes

What's going on with all these posts suddenly appearing with no
context shown

Don't seem to be seeing this - not that I read all the threads, do you
ahev some example thread titles/ message ID's

Google using a web interface. Doesn't post followups properly IIRC.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
The Natural Philosopher

gasman pete wrote:
In the case of gasman pete, he's using GoogleGroups. They've probably
"upgraded" and broken it again.

ha ha I like it....
maybee someone can tell me where to get into newsgroups other than
google and co...
I am using mozzila as a browser if that helps
pete

Best is to dump that and use firefox and thunderbird for mail and groups.

I've recently switched and its more than good enough.

Of course you need an NNTP capable ISP....
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Fitz

raden wrote:
In message , VisionSet
writes

"raden" wrote in message

[...]

I've just replied to this using google groups which has amazingly
included the context of the original post.
If a Google user clicks on Options and then reply you get the context.
It's really not difficult.
The software works - it's the users who are screwing up.
For those of us without usenet access at work it's the only choice.

--
Steve F

Posted to uk.d-i-y
VisionSet

"Fitz" wrote in message
ups.com...

For a start, like you don't access email from the few locations you

dictate
the software, you shouldn't be limited to posting from those few

locations
either.

As long as the s/w works - which it obviously doesn't

I've just replied to this using google groups which has amazingly
included the context of the original post.
If a Google user clicks on Options and then reply you get the context.
It's really not difficult.
The software works - it's the users who are screwing up.

Users don't screw up. Developers screw up. If the user doesn't use the
software correctly, that is a fault in the software product.

--
Mike W (A Developer)

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Bob Eager

On Mon, 10 Apr 2006 09:40:10 UTC, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

chris French wrote:
In message , raden writes

What's going on with all these posts suddenly appearing with no
context shown

Don't seem to be seeing this - not that I read all the threads, do you
ahev some example thread titles/ message ID's

Google using a web interface. Doesn't post followups properly IIRC.

It can...it's just not very obvious how to do it!
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Bob Eager

On Mon, 10 Apr 2006 09:41:50 UTC, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

I am using mozzila as a browser if that helps
pete

Best is to dump that and use firefox and thunderbird for mail and groups.

What's wrong with Mozilla? Perfectly capable...Firefox and Thunderbird
are essentially just the 'unbundled' parts.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Bob Eager

On Mon, 10 Apr 2006 10:10:31 UTC, "Fitz"
wrote:

I've just replied to this using google groups which has amazingly
included the context of the original post.
If a Google user clicks on Options and then reply you get the context.
It's really not difficult.
The software works - it's the users who are screwing up.

Except that it's not immediately obvious to a newcomer...the software
works, but the user interface is clearly lacking. A simple 'Reply
quoting original' link next to the 'Reply' link would help a great deal.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Fitz

VisionSet wrote:
"Fitz" wrote in message
ups.com...

For a start, like you don't access email from the few locations you

dictate
the software, you shouldn't be limited to posting from those few

locations
either.

As long as the s/w works - which it obviously doesn't

I've just replied to this using google groups which has amazingly
included the context of the original post.
If a Google user clicks on Options and then reply you get the context.
It's really not difficult.
The software works - it's the users who are screwing up.

Users don't screw up. Developers screw up. If the user doesn't use the
software correctly, that is a fault in the software product.

How are things in black and white world?

Of course some user interfaces are shocking. No argument.

To say that every single incorrect use of software is entirely the
software's fault is just plain wrong. Everything has a 'user
interface' even in the real world. You wouldn't blame a gas cooker if
someone rested some paper on one of the rings and set it on fire by
accidnt intending to light a different ring would you? Should the
cooker have had a 'paper on hob' detector that shut of the gas?

I wont even get into the fact that the customer only wants to pay X but
the features that will ensure the user can't make a mistake might cost
10X whereas a simple UI and some brief training can save a lot of time,
money and complexity.

--
Steve F