Posted to uk.d-i-y
Steve Firth

Default Underfloor heating

We're getting towards having to buy the kit to install underfloor
heating. We have 120 m^2 of floor to heat and as previously mentioned
it's out intention to use a thermal store with inputs from solar, wood
burner and an LPG boiler.

I think we have this more or less worked out and we were planning to use
pipework at 200mm centres for the underfloor heating[1] with an 8 port
manifold. I think we'll also simplify the job by getting some of that
template material to lay the pipe into before screeding.

Can anyone think of anything that I particularly need to look out for
when ordering the pipe, manifolds, valves etc? We're intending to get a
thermal store fitted with a mixer valve for the UFH so presumably no
need to have a an over temperature shut off valve on the flow to the
manifold?

[1] The house is in Italy remember so I think 200mm would be OK, unless
someone can think of a reason to reduce the spacing.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Lightman

Hi Steve

I've used the red template trays and they work very well!

My underfloor heating is half installed and I was thinking of adding a
thermal store with various inputs.

I'm very interested to know what make and model of thermal store you
went for?

Regards - Lightman

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Steve Firth

Lightman wrote:
Hi Steve

I've used the red template trays and they work very well!

My underfloor heating is half installed and I was thinking of adding a
thermal store with various inputs.

I'm very interested to know what make and model of thermal store you
went for?

We're still dithering between a 250 litre thermalstore from Newark
Cylinders and a solar heatbank from DPS.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
The Natural Philosopher

Steve Firth wrote:
[...]

That should give you about 50W/sq meter OK..I have full compliant
insulation and that spacing its just enough left on 24 hours with -5C
and a wind all day..Use as much underfloor insulation as you can fit.
ESPECIALLY with a suspended concrete floor.

I have to say I used reinforcing mesh under the screed anyway - needed
it for strength, and used cable ties to lace it too that.

It took no time at all.

I followed Polyplumb directions.
- no joints in the pipes at all.
- No circuit more than 100meters most less than 50 meters
- pressurisised the whole thing to 4 bar before AND DURING screeding.

Apart from a motorised valave that stick on, and causes a turkish bath
one day, its been faultless.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Christian McArdle

[1] The house is in Italy remember so I think 200mm would be OK, unless
someone can think of a reason to reduce the spacing.

Just remember that 200mm will be relatively uneven in heat distribution
compared to closer spacings. This may or may not be a problem.

Christian.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
The Natural Philosopher

Christian McArdle wrote:
[1] The house is in Italy remember so I think 200mm would be OK, unless
someone can think of a reason to reduce the spacing.

Just remember that 200mm will be relatively uneven in heat distribution
compared to closer spacings. This may or may not be a problem.

Christian.

In a screed, it was noticeable when I laid some self levelling..you
could see exactly where the pipes ran as it dried out ;-)...but in use,
with tiles over, or laminate, its pretty hard to tell with the bare
tootsies where the pipes are..