Posted to uk.d-i-y
The Medway Handyman

Default Odd taps

Hi All

Came across a problem today - changing a tap washer of all things. I've
changed dozens before, but this one was odd.

Very old kitchen circa 1960, red Formica everywhere. Tap looked a bit like
the schematic here; http://www.diydata.com/problem/taps/washer_replace.htm

Removed the grub screw apparently securing the tap head to the spindle as
shown in the schematic, but despite various methods including the
percussive, the tap head wouldn't come off at all.

The top of the tap had a plastic insert indicating hot or cold (green & red
in this case). No way would this insert come out, it appeared to be a
permanent plastic moulding.

I can't see why the tap would have a grub screw securing it from the side
and yet another securing it from the top as well, but the top of the tap
refused to come off.

Was it just jammed from age? Or does that insert mean a grub screw from
above as well as the side?

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Harry Bloomfield

The Medway Handyman wrote :
Hi All

Came across a problem today - changing a tap washer of all things. I've
changed dozens before, but this one was odd.

Very old kitchen circa 1960, red Formica everywhere. Tap looked a bit like
the schematic here; http://www.diydata.com/problem/taps/washer_replace.htm

Removed the grub screw apparently securing the tap head to the spindle as
shown in the schematic, but despite various methods including the percussive,
the tap head wouldn't come off at all.

The top of the tap had a plastic insert indicating hot or cold (green & red
in this case). No way would this insert come out, it appeared to be a
permanent plastic moulding.

I can't see why the tap would have a grub screw securing it from the side and
yet another securing it from the top as well, but the top of the tap refused
to come off.

They can become well and truly stuck. I recently had a couple of
similar ones to do and I could not move them at all. Rather than
destroy the taps, I made up a couple of shallow wedges from scrap
hardwood. I cut a slot in each, just wide enough for the spindle at the
pointy end to allow them to fit either side. Then put them in place
from opposite sides and tapped the blunt ends of the wedges with a pair
of hammers. The came straight off.

--

Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mary Fisher

"Harry Bloomfield" wrote in message
The Medway Handyman wrote :
Hi All

Came across a problem today - changing a tap washer of all things. I've
changed dozens before, but this one was odd.

Very old kitchen circa 1960,

You call that old?

LOL!

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y
The Medway Handyman

Harry Bloomfield wrote:

They can become well and truly stuck. I recently had a couple of
similar ones to do and I could not move them at all. Rather than
destroy the taps, I made up a couple of shallow wedges from scrap
hardwood.

Now that is a good idea! Thanks!

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mark

The Medway Handyman wrote in message
. uk...
Hi All

Came across a problem today - changing a tap washer of all things. I've
changed dozens before, but this one was odd.

Very old kitchen circa 1960, red Formica everywhere. Tap looked a bit

like
the schematic here; http://www.diydata.com/problem/taps/washer_replace.htm

They stick with age, however if it was identical to the top photo you don't
need to remove the tap handle to replace the washer
Are you sure this was a good career move ?

Dave
The Medway Handyman

-

Posted to uk.d-i-y
The Medway Handyman

Mark wrote:
They stick with age, however if it was identical to the top photo you
don't need to remove the tap handle to replace the washer

You did with this one. The cover for the gland nut unscrewed, but the top
of the tap prevented it moving up far enough to get a spanner on the jumper.
So ner ner ne ner ner.

Are you sure this was a good career move ?

Yes thanks, wish I'd done it years ago.

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y
nightjar

[...]

I had the same problem with a leaking bath tap of apparently the same
design. I had to take the bath out to get the tap off and it would not even
budge when I put it under a fly press. However, it did mean that I got
around to rebuilding the bathroom, as it was little more work than would
have been involved in putting back everything had taken out.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y
George Tingsley

Sorry mate Im with mark on this i was a plumber from 1950 to 2001 never
in 51 years met a chrome bell top tap that I needed to remove the tap
handle to replace a washer

Posted to uk.d-i-y
nightjar

"George Tingsley" wrote in message
oups.com...
Sorry mate Im with mark on this i was a plumber from 1950 to 2001 never
in 51 years met a chrome bell top tap that I needed to remove the tap
handle to replace a washer

From my experience, you must have had a couple of remarkably thin spanners,
to get them in under the shroud. I couldn't even get one of those flat
multi-size spanners in on my bath tap.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y
The Medway Handyman

"George Tingsley"
Sorry mate Im with mark on this i was a plumber from 1950 to 2001
never in 51 years met a chrome bell top tap that I needed to remove
the tap handle to replace a washer

From my experience, you must have had a couple of remarkably thin
spanners, to get them in under the shroud. I couldn't even get one of
those flat multi-size spanners in on my bath tap.

Exactly my problem Colin. The shroud unscrewed OK leaving a gap of about
3mm - no way any kind of spanner would fit.

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Prolong the life of your sink and basin taps - by many many years! AL UK diy 10 October 17th 05 12:20 AM
Taps leaking/running off Rachel UK diy 1 October 1st 05 05:11 PM
Old bath taps Mary Fisher UK diy 14 December 11th 03 10:35 PM
Problem with a mixer shower taps jay UK diy 2 November 11th 03 02:21 AM
Taps on basin keep moving John Stumbles UK diy 1 August 12th 03 08:42 AM