Posted to uk.d-i-y
jim.arnold

Default Gas supply installation

Starting to plan installing Gas Central heating - our house isn't
connected to gas - but there is a pipe running down the unmade road
outside.

Has anybody any idea of likely cost of connection ?

Does it matter who I choose as supplier ? I assume the actual work is
done by Transco ?
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dan delaMare-Lyon

"jim.arnold" wrote in message
Starting to plan installing Gas Central heating - our house isn't
connected to gas - but there is a pipe running down the unmade road
outside.

Has anybody any idea of likely cost of connection ?

It seems to be totally variable ime.

Does it matter who I choose as supplier ? I assume the actual work is
done by Transco ?

Them or a contractor on their behalf. Normal procedure is to contact your
intended supplier (say British gas for the sake of a good argument) and ask
them - they then get Transco out to quote for the install - and deal direct
with you. I think you can go to them direct - but they need to know who to
give the opening meter reading (predictably this will be a 0 or near as
dammit) but they also have to pass the meter point number into the standard
system - but onto someone who can bill for the gas.

hth

Cheers
dan.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Gav

jim.arnold wrote:
Starting to plan installing Gas Central heating - our house isn't
connected to gas - but there is a pipe running down the unmade road
outside.

Has anybody any idea of likely cost of connection ?

Does it matter who I choose as supplier ? I assume the actual work is
done by Transco ?

have you considered lpg? most systems are compatible with lpg, after an
injector change!
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Lobster

jim.arnold wrote:
Starting to plan installing Gas Central heating - our house isn't
connected to gas - but there is a pipe running down the unmade road
outside.

Has anybody any idea of likely cost of connection ?

I paid a very reasonable 208 GBP about 2 years ago - that got me a
capped-off pipe inside the house (cf about 700 for electric and over a
grand for water).

Does it matter who I choose as supplier ? I assume the actual work is
done by Transco ?

No, choose whichever supplier will give you the best deal. Yes, transco
do the work. I think you need to approach the supplier first; it was
all a pretty convoluted process IIRC. Takes months! Although gas was
definitely the easiest of the utilities to install.

David
Posted to uk.d-i-y
tarquinlinbin

On Fri, 31 Mar 2006 19:52:09 +0100, jim.arnold
wrote:

Starting to plan installing Gas Central heating - our house isn't
connected to gas - but there is a pipe running down the unmade road
outside.

Has anybody any idea of likely cost of connection ?

Does it matter who I choose as supplier ? I assume the actual work is
done by Transco ?

First things first, Transco no longer exist. They have now been
renamed/absorbed into National Grid Gas. Second, National Grid Gas
only provide/own network shipping services in certain parts of the
country. Where do you live?.

Other parts of the national network are now owned by other companies
from HSBC to the Maquire bank of Australia and others!!.

Either way it doesnt matter. The procedure is to contact your gas
supplier or a gas supplier as you dont already have one and request a
supply. They will then forward the request to the Gas Transporter for
your area who will normally send some kind of application pack for you
to complete,following which they will quote...phew

joe