Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Almost a loft conversion?

I'm thinking of increasing the space in my house. One idea I had was to
remove the ceiling in the main front bedroom making the roof space a
part of that room, then building a 'platform' level above part of the
main front bedroom and extending back over the bedroom at the back of
the house. This would make a large split level space, but essentially
one room. What building regulations would apply? Is this a loft
conversion re fire regulations etc. What kind of staircase would be
required? What about any requirements thoughout the rest of the house,
which already has a basement level. Any help on building regs and
problems I may encounter would be useful. Anyone done anything similar?
I know I need to speak to local building officer etc. But would like to
know if the idea is a non-starter. Many Thanks. Paul