Posted to uk.d-i-y
Daljit

Default Outdoor lights for nightclub

Hi there

I've had heaps of great advice on CH and plumbing in the past (and
given some back too i like to think)... now i need help with my new
business...

I'd like some advice on building a large sign, made of coloured
lightbulbs, that spell the name of a nightclub that i run (in a venue
which i hire once a month). The sign will be hung outdoors when it's
dark, for approx 5 hrs, in a spot that the public can't reach, and
above ground which is not used. The sign should be able to be
seen/read from a distance of 100 metres.

My current thinking is attach light fittings to a 8' x 4' rigid board
(painted black) and then run the cable indoors, using an RCD socket
plug. The board will be hung from fittings already attached to the
building.

I would like to be able to select my own colour of bulbs (pink and
orange is what i need) and for the lights to flash in some kind of
sequence (although a basic on/off would do). Also, for added effect, i
would like to spell letters using double/tramway lines of bulbs.

Does anyone know of any bulb/cable lights on the market that i can use
and adapt for this purpose?

Would i need to make something like this from scratch, and if so what
bulbs, fittings, cables, etc should i use?

thanks in advance

Daljit

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andrew Gabriel

In article .com,
"Daljit" writes:

I'd like some advice on building a large sign, made of coloured
lightbulbs, that spell the name of a nightclub that i run (in a venue

You might want to try sci.engr.lighting as there will be a number
of good suggestions, and one of the contributors constructs custom
displays for local councils.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y
john2

Daljit wrote:
Hi there

I've had heaps of great advice on CH and plumbing in the past (and
given some back too i like to think)... now i need help with my new
business...

I'd like some advice on building a large sign, made of coloured
lightbulbs, that spell the name of a nightclub that i run (in a venue
which i hire once a month). The sign will be hung outdoors when it's
dark, for approx 5 hrs, in a spot that the public can't reach, and
above ground which is not used. The sign should be able to be
seen/read from a distance of 100 metres.

You also need planning permission if it's big and it's illuminated.
Shouldn't be a problem, depending on the neighbourhood.
For example, in a historic conservation area it would be a definite no-no.

john2

Posted to uk.d-i-y
..

"Daljit" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Why not use 10mm diameter LEDs?
Check out some of the prices for them on eBay.
I bought 100 of them for £19.
You cold work out the spacing and double row them.
3.3 volts so hardly a problem with transformers and fairly waterproof if you
gave them a good seal on the back with silicon mastic.
Plenty of good wiring experts at the local college that'll wire it up to
your spec.