Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y
John

Default Anybody Know??

What these screws are called?

My wife received a dressing table stool today and asked me to put it
together for her. The seat frame attaches to the legs via a corner bracket
and a big chunky coarse wood cutting threaded allen screw. When I was
tightening the screw I could tell it wasn't 'biting'. The problem is the
predrilled holes in the legs are 6.5mm diameter and the diameter of the
thread on the screw is 7.0mm, giving 0.25mm per side for the screw to bite
into. The screw measures 5.0mm at the bottom of the threads, all measured
with a vernier, so they are true sizes.

I have spoken to the supplier (not manufacturer) and all they can do is send
a replacement which I think will be the same. I need some bigger diameter
screws but do not know what they are called. I have looked at Screwfix,
Woodfit, Toolstation and Unifix with no luck but I think it would be easier
if I had a name or type to go on. I did think of plugging the holes with
dowels and redrilling but if it doesn't work I have stuffed a £70 dressing
table stool.

If it helps to understand my ramblings this is the stool, (but doesn't show
the screws and bracket).

http://www.johnlewis.com/Shopping/Ph...U&ID=230202757

Thanks

John

Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y
The Natural Philosopher

John wrote:
[...]

get some thin play from a model shop - 1/64 or 1/32" and roll it up and
glue it into the holes.

Or use glued in matchsticks.

Another trick is to grease the screws and stuff a little car body filler
in the holes, then nail the screws mostly in, and when the filler goes
off, tighten up.

Or completely plug the holes with filler, and redrill at 6mm or 1./4"
Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y
The3rd Earl Of Derby

John wrote:
[...]

They be coach screws?

Can ye not put a cut down wallplug in the hole?

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y
John

"The3rd Earl Of Derby" wrote in message
k...
John wrote:
[...]

No they are not coach screws I have some of those and they are not the same
at all.

Can ye not put a cut down wallplug in the hole?

I did think of that but my 6mm plugs will not accept the end of the screw as
it is 5mm in diameter. As I said above I did think of dowels and redrilling
also but I don't want to cattle the stool and be left with a bill for
another one at £70.00

Cheers

John

Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y
Brian Reay

"John" wrote in message
What these screws are called?

My wife received a dressing table stool today and asked me to put it
together for her. The seat frame attaches to the legs via a corner
bracket and a big chunky coarse wood cutting threaded allen screw. When I
was tightening the screw I could tell it wasn't 'biting'. The problem is
the predrilled holes in the legs are 6.5mm diameter and the diameter of
the thread on the screw is 7.0mm, giving 0.25mm per side for the screw to
bite into. The screw measures 5.0mm at the bottom of the threads, all
measured with a vernier, so they are true sizes.

I'd ask the supplier to replace the legs. If you "fix it" (and there are a
number of options) and it later breaks, you'll have no come back.

A different matter if you've drilled the holes but that isn't the case.

Brian

Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y
The3rd Earl Of Derby

John wrote:

They be coach screws?

No they are not coach screws I have some of those and they are not
the same at all.

I think its assembly screws then, the type you get in Flatpacks/Self
assembly furniture.Just had a look at a unit in the backroom and its got
these star headed screws in it however looking at the thread it just
basically a wood screw thread.
Should be able to get them in most sheds

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y
John

"Brian Reay" wrote in message

"John" wrote in message
What these screws are called?

My wife received a dressing table stool today and asked me to put it
together for her. The seat frame attaches to the legs via a corner
bracket and a big chunky coarse wood cutting threaded allen screw. When
I was tightening the screw I could tell it wasn't 'biting'. The problem
is the predrilled holes in the legs are 6.5mm diameter and the diameter
of the thread on the screw is 7.0mm, giving 0.25mm per side for the screw
to bite into. The screw measures 5.0mm at the bottom of the threads, all
measured with a vernier, so they are true sizes.

I'd ask the supplier to replace the legs. If you "fix it" (and there are a
number of options) and it later breaks, you'll have no come back.

That's the problem they cannot replace the legs only the whole unit and I
think it will be a never ending circle of replacements and returns. I even
asked them to put me and the manufacturer in contact but "We can't do that
Sir".

A different matter if you've drilled the holes but that isn't the case.

Brian

Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y
Mike Halmarack

On Thu, 23 Mar 2006 17:33:58 -0000, "John"
wrote:

[...]

What I used to use for these situations was a plug of wire wool. What
I use now is a chunk torn off from one of the much more substantial
stainless steel scourers. Poke this loosely into the hole with a small
screwdriver and follow it with the screw. Solid as a rock!

--
Regards,
Mike Halmarack

Drop the EGG to email me.
Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y
Gilbert

John wrote:

That's the problem they cannot replace the legs only the whole unit
and I think it will be a never ending circle of replacements and
returns. I even asked them to put me and the manufacturer in contact
but "We can't do that Sir".

Oh just fix it and stop being such a wuss.

Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y
The3rd Earl Of Derby

John wrote:
What these screws are called?

There you go near the bottom,if these ain't them I'll eat my hat.
http://webserver.diygear.com/acatalo...crews_533.html

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y
Derek ^

wrote:

What these screws are called?

My wife received a dressing table stool today and asked me to put it
together for her. The seat frame attaches to the legs via a corner bracket
and a big chunky coarse wood cutting threaded allen screw. When I was
tightening the screw I could tell it wasn't 'biting'. The problem is the
predrilled holes in the legs are 6.5mm diameter and the diameter of the
thread on the screw is 7.0mm, giving 0.25mm per side for the screw to bite
into. The screw measures 5.0mm at the bottom of the threads, all measured
with a vernier, so they are true sizes.

I have spoken to the supplier (not manufacturer) and all they can do is send
a replacement which I think will be the same. I need some bigger diameter
screws but do not know what they are called.

They'll be proprietory fastenings.

I have looked at Screwfix, Woodfit, Toolstation and Unifix with no luck but
I think it would be easier
if I had a name or type to go on. I did think of plugging the holes with
dowels and redrilling but if it doesn't work I have stuffed a £70 dressing
table stool.

You'd be trying to drill 5mm out of the centre of a 6.5mm dowel. :-(

Take the whole lot back for a refund, and buy another.

It must have worked for somebody at sometime, maybe you were unlucky
with the specimen you got.

If it's still the same fill the holes with car body filler and drill
it for screws of your own choosing.

DG

Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Mike Halmarack wrote:

What I used to use for these situations was a plug of wire wool. What
I use now is a chunk torn off from one of the much more substantial
stainless steel scourers. Poke this loosely into the hole with a small
screwdriver and follow it with the screw. Solid as a rock!

--
Regards,
Mike Halmarack

Drop the EGG to email me.

His Wifey might be top heavy though.

/scampers of before John has a go. ;-)

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y
Mike Halmarack

On Thu, 23 Mar 2006 18:18:33 GMT, "The3rd Earl Of Derby"
wrote:

Mike Halmarack wrote:

What I used to use for these situations was a plug of wire wool. What
I use now is a chunk torn off from one of the much more substantial
stainless steel scourers. Poke this loosely into the hole with a small
screwdriver and follow it with the screw. Solid as a rock!

--
Regards,
Mike Halmarack

Drop the EGG to email me.

His Wifey might be top heavy though.

/scampers of before John has a go. ;-)

Stand your ground man!
At least you resisted touching on her bottom.
--
Regards,
Mike Halmarack

Drop the EGG to email me.
Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y
Cicero

"John" wrote in message
[...]

======================
Probably these:

http://www.woodfit.com/product_info....rew+-+7+x+50mm

Cic.

Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y
The Natural Philosopher

Derek ^ wrote:

It must have worked for somebody at sometime,

You owe me a new keyboard...

Or are you REALLY that naive?

Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y
Derek ^

On Thu, 23 Mar 2006 21:53:01 +0000, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

Derek ^ wrote:

It must have worked for somebody at sometime,

You owe me a new keyboard...

Or are you REALLY that naive?

I dunno.

Maybe I am. :-))

But John Lewis had one on display that they'd managed to get assembled
and one they had photographed.

DG.

Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y
John

"The3rd Earl Of Derby" wrote in message
. uk...
John wrote:
What these screws are called?

There you go near the bottom,if these ain't them I'll eat my hat.
http://webserver.diygear.com/acatalo...crews_533.html

Salt & pepper with that Sir? The diameter of those is only 5.35mm, the ones
I have are 7mm and too small! The shape is different aswell. Enjoy your
meal, I hope it's a Pork Pie hat ;-)

Cheers
John

Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y
John

"Cicero" wrote in message
. uk...

Probably these:

http://www.woodfit.com/product_info....rew+-+7+x+50mm

That's the nearest I have seen I would never have guessed at their name
being Confirmat Screw, they are only 7mm in diameter I now need to find
something like 9 or 10mm dia. Thanks a lot.

John

Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y
The3rd Earl Of Derby

John wrote:
What these screws are called?

There you go near the bottom,if these ain't them I'll eat my hat.
http://webserver.diygear.com/acatalo...crews_533.html

Salt & pepper with that Sir? The diameter of those is only 5.35mm,
the ones I have are 7mm and too small! The shape is different
aswell. Enjoy your meal, I hope it's a Pork Pie hat ;-)

Cheers
John

Not yet until you have emailed them. :-P

"We have the full range available, including the less common sizes".

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y
Peter Parry

On Fri, 24 Mar 2006 00:13:58 -0000, "John"
wrote:

That's the nearest I have seen I would never have guessed at their name
being Confirmat Screw, they are only 7mm in diameter I now need to find
something like 9 or 10mm dia. Thanks a lot.

It's far easier just to put a moderate dab of No-nails or Gripfill in
the hole, check the leg is correctly positioned, gently tighten the
screw and leave it overnight :-)

--
Peter Parry.
http://www.wpp.ltd.uk/

Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y
Sponix

On Thu, 23 Mar 2006 22:26:27 +0000, Derek ^
wrote:

But John Lewis had one on display that they'd managed to get assembled
and one they had photographed.

Computer trickery..
Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y
Cicero

"John" wrote in message
"Cicero" wrote in message
. uk...

Probably these:

http://www.woodfit.com/product_info....rew+-+7+x+50mm

That's the nearest I have seen I would never have guessed at their name
being Confirmat Screw, they are only 7mm in diameter I now need to find
something like 9 or 10mm dia. Thanks a lot.

John

I've used them ('Confirmat screws') for years and I've never heard the name
before. I hope somebody comes along with an explanation of such an unusual
name.

Cic.