Posted to uk.d-i-y
The Natural Philosopher

Default Best glue wood to plasterboard?

Says it all really. Need to attach some batten to plasterboard, have no
way to get to a stud or noggin..gotta be glued.

What's best? I will need to screw onto it, but apart from that it won't
be taking all that much stress.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
The3rd Earl Of Derby

The Natural Philosopher wrote:
Says it all really. Need to attach some batten to plasterboard, have
no way to get to a stud or noggin..gotta be glued.

What's best? I will need to screw onto it, but apart from that it
won't be taking all that much stress.

Erm! PVA as basically is wood glue.
--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to uk.d-i-y
The Natural Philosopher

The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:
The Natural Philosopher wrote:
Says it all really. Need to attach some batten to plasterboard, have
no way to get to a stud or noggin..gotta be glued.

What's best? I will need to screw onto it, but apart from that it
won't be taking all that much stress.

Erm! PVA as basically is wood glue.

I am concerned about being able to clamp it up tight enough to get a
good bond...hoping for something a bit more gap filling..?

Still an aliphatic wood glue might be good, also a low foam polyurethane
type..
Posted to uk.d-i-y
John

Says it all really. Need to attach some batten to plasterboard, have no
way to get to a stud or noggin..gotta be glued.

What's best? I will need to screw onto it, but apart from that it won't be
taking all that much stress.

Is plugging and screwing not an option? If not a 'No More Nails' type of
adhesive will work if the plasterboard isn't painted etc. Bear in mind it
will make a mess of the board if you ever want/need to remove it!

HTH

John

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Weatherlawyer

The Natural Philosopher wrote:
Says it all really. Need to attach some batten to plasterboard, have no
way to get to a stud or noggin..gotta be glued.

What's best? I will need to screw onto it, but apart from that it won't
be taking all that much stress.

Get some of those snail fixings; drill through the wood and the p/bd
(you need to have it supported or held in situ) remove wood and fit
fixing gently.

The screws that come with the fixings might be too short you can use
longer ones but they must be of the same gauge. Put an adhesive pava or
mastic on the timber and offer into position.

Insert screws and tighten. Do not overtighten or the snail fixings will
pull out.

There are any number of varieties of plasterboard fixings all more or
less the same general idea. These are the simplest.

Use a mastic adhesive if the timber is rough sawn, if it is a planed
edge, you can get away with pva. For the price of a mastic gun and a
tube of gripfill I'd use that. YMMV.

Watch out that you don't damage the backs of your handypops.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
The Natural Philosopher

John wrote:
Says it all really. Need to attach some batten to plasterboard, have no
way to get to a stud or noggin..gotta be glued.

What's best? I will need to screw onto it, but apart from that it won't be
taking all that much stress.

Is plugging and screwing not an option?

Possibly in one or two places...but I have NEVER found that to make a
secure joint sadly

If not a 'No More Nails' type of
adhesive will work if the plasterboard isn't painted etc. Bear in mind it
will make a mess of the board if you ever want/need to remove it!

Yes. I will try no more nails...I think

HTH

John

Posted to uk.d-i-y
The Natural Philosopher

Weatherlawyer wrote:
The Natural Philosopher wrote:
Says it all really. Need to attach some batten to plasterboard, have no
way to get to a stud or noggin..gotta be glued.

What's best? I will need to screw onto it, but apart from that it won't
be taking all that much stress.

Get some of those snail fixings; drill through the wood and the p/bd
(you need to have it supported or held in situ) remove wood and fit
fixing gently.

Can't get a drill there for most of the length sadly.

Its all behind a radiator, and I don't have time to drain down CH,
remove rad, do the job and put back...and its too frigging cold as well.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
dennis@home

Says it all really. Need to attach some batten to plasterboard, have no
way to get to a stud or noggin..gotta be glued.

What's best? I will need to screw onto it, but apart from that it won't be
taking all that much stress.

Don't forget the weakest bit will probably be the paper cover on the
plasterboard.
You don't need a glue any stronger than this.

If you want to be able to remove it easily then a double sided sticky foam
tape would be easy.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
The Natural Philosopher

dennis@home wrote:
Says it all really. Need to attach some batten to plasterboard, have no
way to get to a stud or noggin..gotta be glued.

What's best? I will need to screw onto it, but apart from that it won't be
taking all that much stress.

Don't forget the weakest bit will probably be the paper cover on the
plasterboard.
You don't need a glue any stronger than this.

If you want to be able to remove it easily then a double sided sticky foam
tape would be easy.

Plasterboard has been skimmed, but not painted.

I won't need any actual pull strength - just in shear - and the paper is
more than strong enough in that mode.

Ive had mixed results with 'no more nails' frankly.

CA (superglue) works if the gap is thin enough..
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Guy King

The message
from The Natural Philosopher contains these words:

I am concerned about being able to clamp it up tight enough to get a
good bond...hoping for something a bit more gap filling..?

I've glued shelves and things to the walls in this house for years.
No-more-nails type glue from Wilkinsons, slap the batten on and hold it
in place with gaffertape to stop it sliding down the wall overnight.
Best left to set for a day or two before relying on it.

On a more general note - if you get a big enough area of contact you can
get away with murder glueing stuff to walls. Even onto wallpaper, which
makes it much easier to remove later if you have to. Provided you trust
whoever did the papering!

--
Skipweasel
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Grunff

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Ive had mixed results with 'no more nails' frankly.

For gluing surfaces that absorb water, I've found water based no-nails
to be far better than the organic solvent based variety. This is one of
my favourites:

Grunff
Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Stumbles

On Tue, 21 Mar 2006 14:02:36 +0000, Grunff wrote:

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Ive had mixed results with 'no more nails' frankly.

For gluing surfaces that absorb water, I've found water based no-nails
to be far better than the organic solvent based variety. This is one of
my favourites:

Phew! Bit expensive innit? More than half the price of anything similar at
B&Q :-)

Have you tried the cheaper brands? They seem OK to me (though I tend to
use them by the bucketfull as filler as well as adhesive).

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Grunff

John Stumbles wrote:

Have you tried the cheaper brands? They seem OK to me (though I tend to
use them by the bucketfull as filler as well as adhesive).

Yes, I bought some of screwfix own brand water based before, and it was
OK. It's been discontinued and replaced with:

I tend to use water based for most things, switching to solvent based
only in situations where there's any chance of future moisture. The
water based ones skin much more slowly, and grab better.

--
Grunff
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rob Morley

In article
Weatherlawyer wrote:
The Natural Philosopher wrote:
Says it all really. Need to attach some batten to plasterboard, have no
way to get to a stud or noggin..gotta be glued.

What's best? I will need to screw onto it, but apart from that it won't
be taking all that much stress.

Get some of those snail fixings; drill through the wood and the p/bd
(you need to have it supported or held in situ) remove wood and fit
fixing gently.

Can't get a drill there for most of the length sadly.

Its all behind a radiator, and I don't have time to drain down CH,
remove rad, do the job and put back...and its too frigging cold as well.

You don't need to - just close the valves, slacken the valve-to-rad
couplings, tip the rad out and lie it down then retighten the couplings.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
The Natural Philosopher

In article
Weatherlawyer wrote:
The Natural Philosopher wrote:
Says it all really. Need to attach some batten to plasterboard, have no
way to get to a stud or noggin..gotta be glued.

What's best? I will need to screw onto it, but apart from that it won't
be taking all that much stress.

Get some of those snail fixings; drill through the wood and the p/bd
(you need to have it supported or held in situ) remove wood and fit
fixing gently.

Can't get a drill there for most of the length sadly.

Its all behind a radiator, and I don't have time to drain down CH,
remove rad, do the job and put back...and its too frigging cold as well.

You don't need to - just close the valves, slacken the valve-to-rad
couplings, tip the rad out and lie it down then retighten the couplings.

TRV mate. No chance to actually close it off completelly.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Lobster

Grunff wrote:
Yes, I bought some of screwfix own brand water based before, and it was
OK. It's been discontinued and replaced with:

I hate that they are forever doing that with their glue/sealant/mastic
cartridges. Frequently I've bought a particular type which I've got on
well with; go back to re-order and bang! it's gone.

David
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Weatherlawyer

Weatherlawyer wrote:
The Natural Philosopher wrote:
The message in here is secret. Need to attach some batten to plasterboard, have no
way to get to a stud or noggin..gotta be glued. So now you know what I am talking about

What's best? I will need to screw onto it, but apart from that it won't
be taking all that much stress. Note there is a lot left hidden in my meaning here.

Get some of those snail fixings; drill through the wood and the p/bd
(you need to have it supported or held in situ) remove wood and fit
fixing gently.

Can't get a drill there for most of the length sadly.

Its all behind a radiator, and I don't have time to drain down CH,
remove rad, do the job and put back...and its too frigging cold as well.

How long have you been posting on here you stupid tosser?

Why didn't you say that you were trying to get it to stick to a wall
down behind a radiator.

I don't know. And more important, neither do you.

Worra clot!

Posted to uk.d-i-y
John

"Weatherlawyer" wrote in message
ups.com...

How long have you been posting on here you stupid tosser?

Why didn't you say that you were trying to get it to stick to a wall
down behind a radiator.

I don't know. And more important, neither do you.

Worra clot!

I REALLY do not think there is any need to resort to a posting like that!
That is not helpful to anybody, especially the OP you "stupid tosser".

Cheers

JOhn

Posted to uk.d-i-y
The Natural Philosopher

Weatherlawyer wrote:
[...]

Oh dear. Someone kicked your cock through your cranium today? Or are you
always this amiable?
Posted to uk.d-i-y
The Natural Philosopher

John wrote:
"Weatherlawyer" wrote in message
ups.com...

How long have you been posting on here you stupid tosser?

Why didn't you say that you were trying to get it to stick to a wall
down behind a radiator.

I don't know. And more important, neither do you.

Worra clot!

I REALLY do not think there is any need to resort to a posting like that!
That is not helpful to anybody, especially the OP you "stupid tosser".

Oh..I don't mind. I've been on Usenet since before the ruddy Internet.
Let him get it off his chest. Probably saved him beating his wife or summat.

Cheers

JOhn

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Pete C

On Tue, 21 Mar 2006 11:59:21 +0000, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

Says it all really. Need to attach some batten to plasterboard, have no
way to get to a stud or noggin..gotta be glued.

What's best? I will need to screw onto it, but apart from that it won't
be taking all that much stress.

Car body filler

cheers,
Pete.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
The Natural Philosopher

wrote:

Says it all really. Need to attach some batten to plasterboard, have no
way to get to a stud or noggin..gotta be glued.

What's best? I will need to screw onto it, but apart from that it won't
be taking all that much stress.

Car body filler

cheers,
Pete.

Tried that. didn't work this time.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
dennis@home

Tried that. didn't work this time.

The only time I have stuck wood to plaster board was as a base for a shower
mixer.
I used tile cement about 24 years ago.
Its still stuck.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Pete C

On Wed, 22 Mar 2006 23:24:11 +0000, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

Pete C wrote:

Car body filler

cheers,
Pete.

Tried that. didn't work this time.

Thought there may be enough resin in the filler to soak into the
plaster.

Needs a bonding agent that soaks into the plaster and binds it
together. Try a of epoxy/araldite and warm the area with a heat
gun/hair dryer to help it soak in. Then when set use another coat on
the wood to glue in place.

If you can score the surface before applying anything that should
help.

cheers,
Pete.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

replying to Weatherlawyer, Rob wrote:
You are an obnoxious, unpleasant person, Weatherlawyer. Shame on you

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...rd-345181-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/11/17 20:14, Rob wrote:
replying to Weatherlawyer, Rob wrote:
You are an obnoxious, unpleasant person, Weatherlawyer. Shame on you

And you are posting via those profiteering ****s, homehub

Shame on you.

or condoning; the full, exact, specific meaning of collectivism, of its
logical implications, of the principles upon which it is based, and of
the ultimate consequences to which these principles will lead. They must
face it, then decide whether this is what they want or not.

Ayn Rand.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/11/2017 20:14, Rob wrote:
replying to Weatherlawyer, Rob wrote:
You are an obnoxious, unpleasant person, Weatherlawyer. Shame on you

You're coming across as a knob. We have no idea what you're talking
about, apart from demonstrating a dislike for "Weatherlawyer".

This might assist you with posting to a newsgroup, albeit through a website:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc1855

- If you are sending a reply to a message or a posting be sure you
summarize the original at the top of the message, or include just
enough text of the original to give a context.