Posted to uk.d-i-y
Steve Walker

Default Disability adaptations and Planning Permission

Hi gang -

Elderly relative needs some home adaptations to cope with wheelchair access
(disability is permanent). Sole entrance to home (semi-detached bungalow
in Leeds) is through a small enclosed timber porch (1m x 1.5m) - this has
narrow doors and changing floor levels etc, will be virtually impossible for
an elderly carer to get the wheelchair through it.

Ideally, we need to get this porch replaced with something a bit more
wheelchair friendly - eg concrete ramp from driveway to wider outside door,
a continuous floor level with the rest of house, and the inner door widened
or removed altogether. Construction needs to be quick and reliable, but
could comply with whatever specs were reasonably required. I'm guessing
it might be best approached as a mini-conservatory, eg fabricated from
standard upvc panels.

Now the tricky part - in order to have enough space to manoeuvre the chair,
the porch would need to be about 500mm deeper, but this would make it
project beyond the 'building line' in that street (eg the frontage of the
houses). Simple sketch at http://i2.tinypic.com/ri9gf6.jpg

No objections would be made by neighbours, but is this likely to be a
problem for planning permission etc? Is there any flexibility or
dispensation for disabled access? We really need this built in the next
4-6 weeks for hospital discharge, so can't wait a long time for approvals
and committees. I know there are grants available, but there's no point in
applying unless it's a realistic option.

Thanks in advance for any comments or advice -

Steve

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mark Spice

"Steve Walker" wrote in message
[...]

I don't know about the planning issues but make sure that your relative
applies for the council tax reduction that is available for adapted homes.
Not many people seem to know about this but I got it by making a ramp out of
the patio doors for my son and the reduction was back dated by 18 months.

http://www.sheffield.gov.uk/your-cit...cing-your-bill
/disabled-persons-relief

Basically if the house has been adapted for wheelchair use the property can
be downgraded by 1 council tax band. This is independent of council tax
benefit and is not means tested.

Hope this is helpful.

Cheers

Mark

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Roger Mills \(aka Set Square\)

Steve Walker wrote:

[...]

Go and have a word with a Planning Officer at your local council, taking
photographs of the existing setup and sketches/rough plans of what you want
to do. He/she will advise you what their policy is - so you will get a good
idea whether an application is likely to succeed. You'll still have to make
a formal application of course - which takes several weeks to determine
because there is a statutory requirement to display notices for so many
(28?) days, to give people an opportunity to object. If you go ahead without
waiting for permission, you run the risk of being forced to tear it down
again.

My guess is that the planners will be sympathetic - but they'll insist that
you follow due process.
--
Cheers,
Roger

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Steve Walker

Roger Mills (aka Set Square) wrote:

Go and have a word with a Planning Officer at your local council,
taking photographs of the existing setup and sketches/rough plans
of what you want to do. He/she will advise you what their policy
is - so you will get a good idea whether an application is likely
to succeed. You'll still have to make a formal application of
course - which takes several weeks to determine because there is
a statutory requirement to display notices for so many (28?)
days, to give people an opportunity to object. If you go ahead
without waiting for permission, you run the risk of being forced
to tear it down again.
My guess is that the planners will be sympathetic - but they'll
insist that you follow due process.

Thanks Roger, that's very helpful.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Steve Walker

Mark Spice wrote:

I don't know about the planning issues but make sure that your
relative applies for the council tax reduction that is available
for adapted homes. Not many people seem to know about this but I
got it by making a ramp out of the patio doors for my son and the
reduction was back dated by 18 months.

http://www.sheffield.gov.uk/your-cit...cing-your-bill
/disabled-persons-relief

Basically if the house has been adapted for wheelchair use the
property can be downgraded by 1 council tax band. This is
independent of council tax benefit and is not means tested.

Hope this is helpful.

Very much so, Mark. Thanks!

Posted to uk.d-i-y
dg

A planning application would be free for this work, and would typically
take upto eight weeks.
Also, if you can go via the local Social Services or Housing Dept
(under CSDPA works- The Chronically Sick and Disabled Persons Act )
then they will do all necessary work and get permissions for free.

With regards to planning, there will be some leeway in allowing for
works for disabled people. The works have to serve a function, which
may not be the most desirable visually, but necessary for the purpose.

Either way, the 'building line' is not something that can never be
crossed.

dg

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Roger Mills \(aka Set Square\)

Mark Spice wrote:

I don't know about the planning issues but make sure that your
relative applies for the council tax reduction that is available for
adapted homes. Not many people seem to know about this but I got it
by making a ramp out of the patio doors . . .

That's a novell use for patio doors! g
--
Cheers,
Roger
Please reply to newsgroup.
Reply address IS valid, but is disposable in the event of excessive
spam.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Steve Walker

dg wrote:

Either way, the 'building line' is not something that can never be
crossed.

Thanks dg - that was the critical issue, really.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Fawthrop

On Wed, 15 Mar 2006 21:46:52 -0000, "Steve Walker"
wrote:

|dg wrote:
|
| Either way, the 'building line' is not something that can never be
| crossed.
|
|Thanks dg - that was the critical issue, really.

Still worth asking, the planning people.
I have seen porches projecting in front of a line of houses, so the
official building line may not be the same as a line drawn along the front
of a row of houses.

--
Dave Fawthrop dave hyphenologist co uk
Freedom of Speech, Expression, Religion, and Democracy are
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Peter Crosland

[...]

A word of caution. The reduction will not apply if you simply make the entry
wheelchair accessible. The changes need to be more extensive internal
alterations.

Peter Crosland

Posted to uk.d-i-y
nightjar

[...]

Do you have to have the porch? If you took down the existing porch and
simply installed the ramp, that could almost certainly be kept within the
existing building line. If the height were no more than that of an ordinary
step, the carer could step onto the pavement, if necessary, when making the
turn.

No objections would be made by neighbours, but is this likely to be a
problem for planning permission etc? Is there any flexibility or
dispensation for disabled access? We really need this built in the next
4-6 weeks for hospital discharge, so can't wait a long time for approvals
and committees.

You will have to wait for approvals and committees if you want to do
something that requires planning permission, or risk having to take
everything down again. However, it is possible that removing the porch and
installing a ramp might not need it. The only person who can tell you is
your local Planning officer and, whatever you do, you should speak to one as
soon as possible.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Steve Walker wrote:
No objections would be made by neighbours, but is this likely to be a
problem for planning permission etc? Is there any flexibility or
dispensation for disabled access? We really need this built in the next

See
http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/england/genpub/en/1011888236897.html

MBQ

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mark Spice

"Peter Crosland" wrote in message
[...]

In our case all I did extra to the house was to make a wooden ramp to enable
Philip to get into the back garden. However we do live in a new house so
all the downstairs doors are wheelchair accessible. In fact it turns out
that we didn't need the ramp, or wheelchair, to qualify as the use of an
internal, special chair was deemed to be enough. I was very surprised at
the speed of assessment as it only took a couple of weeks between applying
and receiving a cheque for the backdated period.

If you had enough time you could apply for a disability facilities grant
from social services at the council. However this involves a lot of
paperwork and will take a number of months to complete.

Cheers

Mark