Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default mains LED buls (GU10) revisited

Sorry to start a new thread on old territory, but I wondered if anyone
has any newer experiences of this technology. 18 months ago I tried a
couple of bayonet & GU10 replacement bulbs utilising LED technology.
While they work the light levels are very low and harsh in quality. So
the white , even the 'warm' white, appears to be closer to the UV end
of the spectrum, not unlike a flourescent tube.

I really want this technology to work as I have a large number of GU10
lamps in my house which use too much electricty and seem to need
continuous replacement. My hope is that, like the early low energy
bulbs which were niether bright enough or warm in colour, LED
technology will improve.

These bulbs are not cheap. I have seen some newer types quoted as using
multiple 1w LED's with 'warm' light spectrum and 30K hours for £20 a
go. If they work and the light is good, it may well be worth
considering, but I wondered if anyone has any recent experiences of
this evolving technology.

many thanks

Jonathan Ives

How to tell which pipe is the mains? asalcedo UK diy 4 October 11th 05 01:34 PM
GU10 Mains Halogens Slurp UK diy 29 August 5th 05 07:39 AM
GU10 mains halogen bulbs Bill Scarab UK diy 13 December 1st 04 01:51 PM
Mains failure gennie switching Chris Wilson Electronics Repair 7 November 9th 03 12:31 AM
Mains failure generator switching tips? Chris Wilson UK diy 5 October 15th 03 12:12 AM