Posted to uk.d-i-y
Colin Wilson

Default Worcester Bosch 28Si II failure

Hmm... for the second time since installation in 2004 I suspect the
board has gone (the first was faulty from new and replaced by WB under
warranty)

I`m getting different error codes upon resetting / powering down for a
while, and the manual suggests it could be the board knackered (four
flashes per sec & one flash per sec have been seen).

Is there a known problem with the boards in these (as there is with
certain other brands) ?

This is the same boiler that locked out in December and couldn`t be
reset, but "miraculously" worked again when we came back from holiday
two weeks later to a stone-cold house.

Its been on 24/7 for about 2 months, and last night I switched it to
timed - similar circumstances to how it "failed" in December - it was
working fine until I switched it to the timer, then locked out the
first time it was fired up again - which is exactly what happened in
December.

TIA

--
--- Please add "newsgroup" in the subject of any personal replies ---
--- My anti-spam address has "ngspamtrap" & @btinternet.com in it ---
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Colin Wilson

This is the same boiler that locked out in December and couldn`t be
reset, but "miraculously" worked again when we came back from holiday
two weeks later to a stone-cold house.

Hmm its been switched off since my earlier post, and I just tried
firing it up again - and its working again.

Not too impressed with it at this point.

--
--- Please add "newsgroup" in the subject of any personal replies ---
--- My anti-spam address has "ngspamtrap" & @btinternet.com in it ---
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Colin Wilson

This is the same boiler that locked out in December and couldn`t be
reset, but "miraculously" worked again when we came back from holiday
two weeks later to a stone-cold house.

Hmm its been switched off since my earlier post, and I just tried
firing it up again - and its working again.

....and off again as soon as I try to draw water...

--
--- Please add "newsgroup" in the subject of any personal replies ---
--- My anti-spam address has "ngspamtrap" & @btinternet.com in it ---
Posted to uk.d-i-y
raden

In message , Colin
Wilson writes
[...]

Noisy relay contacts in the programmer ?

Completely power down, reboot and see what happens

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Colin Wilson

Noisy relay contacts in the programmer ?
Completely power down, reboot and see what happens

Done it several times - it manages to fire up from cold (if its been
switched off for half an hour or so) for what I think might be one
full cycle when the return flow gets up to temp, then locks out again.

I had the cover off it earlier to see the window to the combustion
chamber, and i`m not sure whether its normal, but the gas looked like
it was blowing out (or at very least struggling to stay lit) from left
to right and re-igniting itself every couple of seconds (without ever
actually going out completely). Whether this is normal modulation or
not i`m not in a position to speculate...

The error codes appear to refer to either the airflow sensor or
ignition lockout (it seems to pick one or the other at random) but i`m
not a gas engineer, and not brave (or stupid) enough to delve further
to try to pin it down properly. It only appears to have three possible
error codes - the other being gas failure, but I haven`t seen that one
yet :-}

I`ve just powered up, it lasted 5 mins and pumped some usable heat
into the rads, then started to cycle the ignition light every 3-4
seconds (as though it was going out and trying to relight) - it went
into lockout mode about 30 seconds later.

--
--- Please add "newsgroup" in the subject of any personal replies ---
--- My anti-spam address has "ngspamtrap" & @btinternet.com in it ---

Posted to uk.d-i-y
raden

In message , Colin
Wilson writes
[...]

Well, throw caution to the wind

first test the resistance of the air flow sensor in the normally open
position - you should be able to find a tube to suck or blow to achieve
this. Null out your probes on a DVM and check that the resistance is
less than an ohm

second - you need to be near the boiler when it's lighting
does the spark generator keep sparking for more than 4-5 clicks ?
is it lighting gas ?

You need to find out at exactly what point in the ignition sequence it's
failing, and whether it's doing it reliably

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y
legin

Raden, I am thinking about buying a system boiler shortly, poss a WB
28HE. Overall would it be a reliable choice, i.e. p.c.b.?
Many Thanks
Legin

Posted to uk.d-i-y
raden

In message . com, legin
writes
Raden, I am thinking about buying a system boiler shortly, poss a WB
28HE. Overall would it be a reliable choice, i.e. p.c.b.?
Many Thanks
Legin

I don't see many pcbs coming in for repair - however, they haven't been
around that long

They do seem to be well regarded, so, I'd say yes
--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Colin Wilson

Well, throw caution to the wind
first test the resistance of the air flow sensor in the normally open
position - you should be able to find a tube to suck or blow to achieve
this. Null out your probes on a DVM and check that the resistance is
less than an ohm

I think i`d rather call WB out and foot the bill, rather than risk
hamfistedly knackering it or blowing myself up :-}

second - you need to be near the boiler when it's lighting
does the spark generator keep sparking for more than 4-5 clicks ?
is it lighting gas ?

As I said elsewhere, when the cover was off, the flame was visibly
moving away from the outer edges of the case - this in turn lead to
the sparking for a second or so, and the flame front returning - i`m
not convinced it returned because it was igniting from the spark or
from the residual flame in the combustion chamber.

I have no way to check the gas pressure, so it may even be something
like that to blame for the iffy flame.

You need to find out at exactly what point in the ignition sequence it's
failing, and whether it's doing it reliably

It seems to be fairly consistent in that if its been off for a while
and switched back on, it lights up immediately, runs for about 5
minutes, then starts to ignition cycle and locks out after a few
attempts.

--
--- Please add "newsgroup" in the subject of any personal replies ---
--- My anti-spam address has "ngspamtrap" & @btinternet.com in it ---
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ed Sirett

On Thu, 09 Mar 2006 19:11:30 +0000, Colin Wilson wrote:

[...]

This sounds much more like a combustion problem.
Could even be the chamber cover is not sealing properly and draughts are
creating merry hell with the flames.

Time to measure the inlet pressure, outlet pressure, gas rate etc.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Homer2911

Colin Wilson wrote:
[...]

You seem to be fairly clued up - have you tried ringing WB Technical
Service? I found them pretty helpful with diagnosis over the phone

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Colin Wilson

You seem to be fairly clued up - have you tried ringing WB Technical
Service? I found them pretty helpful with diagnosis over the phone

I`m not that clued up on stripping gas appliances tbh, but it might be
worth a shot...