Posted to uk.d-i-y
Paul Andrews

Default OT Spitfire and the BBC reporting

"dave" wrote in message
Just a fume to say how pathetic was the sound BBC coverage of last

weekends
flypast by several Spitfires. What I was waiting to hear was the sound of

those
wonderful Merlins. What I got was two motormouth presenters with who were
terrified of any silence longer than 0.1 second.

The OB pictures were excellent though, great to see those aircraft flying.

Yes, it was fantastic to see them. I live in Bracknell and there used to be
an RAF training college here. On passing out the BOB memorial flight would
fly over the college and do aerobatics overhead. It certainly makes the hair
on the neck tingle to watch a spitfire and hurricane loop the loop overhead
and fly low over the trees. Usually I wouldn't know when it was going to
happen. I'd be at home and I'd hear this strange engine sound and out we'd
go to watch the fantastic show. Last thing would be a slow flypast with the
lancaster dipping it's wings over the college. Perfect.

Incredibly some people used to complain about it..

Paul
(Sadly the college is now closed, soon to be replaced by hundreds - if not
thousands - of houses )

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Buzby

[...]

My folks live right out in open countryside not so far from you.

One summers day we hear something interesting a coming - it was the BOB
flight.

The large table cloth was rapidly grabbed from the dining table and waved
enthusiatically in the garden. Next thing the Spit peels off and does a
double beat up of the house and garden before disppearing into the distance
waggling it's wings with glee.

Absolutely magical.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Lobster

Buzby wrote:

My folks live right out in open countryside not so far from you.

One summers day we hear something interesting a coming - it was the BOB
flight.

The large table cloth was rapidly grabbed from the dining table and waved
enthusiatically in the garden. Next thing the Spit peels off and does a
double beat up of the house and garden before disppearing into the distance
waggling it's wings with glee.

Absolutely magical.

It's a man... in an aeroplane....

(...but I do share the sentiments!)