Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tez

Default What do you put in gaps in plaster by window and door frames

Hi

Please could someone give me advice on the following.

Underneath many layers of wallpaper I have found quite deep gaps
between the plaster and some of the door frames. The plaster is mainly
sound but there are lots of little loose bits in the gaps.

I also have gaps between teh plasterboard and window frame in the
kitchen but for a differenet reason. The plaster put up the
plasterboard and skimmed it but left about 1cm gap all around the
window frame where it goes back to the stone wall.

Is the solution for both of these gaps to fill with standard filler or
for deep holes going back to the stone wall should I use some
expanding foam, let that dry and then put on a little bit of fine
surface filler to finish the job?
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Liquorice

On Thu, 02 Mar 2006 01:47:14 +0000, Tez wrote:

Underneath many layers of wallpaper I have found quite deep gaps
between the plaster and some of the door frames. The plaster is mainly
sound but there are lots of little loose bits in the gaps.

Remove the loose stuff and fill with "decorators chaulk". This is a
flexable filler and will take the movement between the timber and plaster
without cracking. Note you can't sand this stuff so you need to finish it
properly before it skins/sets. This makes it tricky to use for gaps much
over a couple of mm.

So for bigger gaps I'd fill with plaster or ordinary filler. Then if
really keen create a small gap between the frame and new filler before
the latter sets fully. Once set fill that with decorators chaulk.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Stuart Noble

Tez wrote:
Hi

Please could someone give me advice on the following.

Underneath many layers of wallpaper I have found quite deep gaps
between the plaster and some of the door frames. The plaster is mainly
sound but there are lots of little loose bits in the gaps.

I also have gaps between teh plasterboard and window frame in the
kitchen but for a differenet reason. The plaster put up the
plasterboard and skimmed it but left about 1cm gap all around the
window frame where it goes back to the stone wall.

Is the solution for both of these gaps to fill with standard filler or
for deep holes going back to the stone wall should I use some
expanding foam, let that dry and then put on a little bit of fine
surface filler to finish the job?

Stick anything in that fills the gaps and finish off with filler. Foam
pipe insulation is useful. You can shove it into quite large cavities
and it has enough spring to hold itself in place. Hell of a lot cheaper
than squirty foam, and less messy.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
The Natural Philosopher

Tez wrote:
Hi

Please could someone give me advice on the following.

Underneath many layers of wallpaper I have found quite deep gaps
between the plaster and some of the door frames. The plaster is mainly
sound but there are lots of little loose bits in the gaps.

I also have gaps between teh plasterboard and window frame in the
kitchen but for a differenet reason. The plaster put up the
plasterboard and skimmed it but left about 1cm gap all around the
window frame where it goes back to the stone wall.

Is the solution for both of these gaps to fill with standard filler or
for deep holes going back to the stone wall should I use some
expanding foam, let that dry and then put on a little bit of fine
surface filler to finish the job?

Decorators caulk.

Or for deeper holes, foam then decorators caulk.

For exterior use, get a frame sealant mastic.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Stuart

On Thu, 02 Mar 2006 10:31:46 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:

On Thu, 02 Mar 2006 01:47:14 +0000, Tez wrote:

Underneath many layers of wallpaper I have found quite deep gaps
between the plaster and some of the door frames. The plaster is mainly
sound but there are lots of little loose bits in the gaps.

Remove the loose stuff and fill with "decorators chaulk". This is a
flexable filler and will take the movement between the timber and plaster
without cracking. N

Nah..Decorators Chaulk is what painters use to write on walls with
when chatting on the phone .

It's Decorators Caulk you want ...lol

Stuart

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mike Halmarack

On Thu, 02 Mar 2006 01:47:14 +0000, Tez tez@none wrote:

Hi

Please could someone give me advice on the following.

Underneath many layers of wallpaper I have found quite deep gaps
between the plaster and some of the door frames. The plaster is mainly
sound but there are lots of little loose bits in the gaps.

I also have gaps between teh plasterboard and window frame in the
kitchen but for a differenet reason. The plaster put up the
plasterboard and skimmed it but left about 1cm gap all around the
window frame where it goes back to the stone wall.

Is the solution for both of these gaps to fill with standard filler or
for deep holes going back to the stone wall should I use some
expanding foam, let that dry and then put on a little bit of fine
surface filler to finish the job?

The sort of gaps I've seen in the situations you describe are usually
covered by architrave.
--
Regards,
Mike Halmarack