Posted to uk.d-i-y
Blair

Default Dyson problem

Our Dyson is not performing as well as it did. I have tried to clear all the
passages but with no success.
There may be a method of clearing the passages and if anyone knows I would
be much obliged
Blair

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Bob Eager

On Sun, 26 Feb 2006 20:25:15 UTC, "Blair" wrote:

Our Dyson is not performing as well as it did. I have tried to clear all the
passages but with no success.
There may be a method of clearing the passages and if anyone knows I would
be much obliged

First tell us which model!

Posted to uk.d-i-y
The Medway Handyman

Blair wrote:
Our Dyson is not performing as well as it did. I have tried to clear
all the passages but with no success.

(1) Take to dump & throw in skip.

(2) Buy Numatic tub or Sebo upright.

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Blair

"Bob Eager" wrote in message
On Sun, 26 Feb 2006 20:25:15 UTC, "Blair" wrote:

Our Dyson is not performing as well as it did. I have tried to clear all

the
passages but with no success.
There may be a method of clearing the passages and if anyone knows I

would
be much obliged

First tell us which model!

--

It is the Dyson dual cyclone.
I have looked for a reference number but neither on the machine or the

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Bob Eager

On Mon, 27 Feb 2006 06:20:29 UTC, "Blair" wrote:

First tell us which model!

It is the Dyson dual cyclone.
I have looked for a reference number but neither on the machine or the
handbook does it give a number ,only Dual Cyclone

They are all dual cyclone (I think)! There should be a number such as
DC01, DC02, or DC something. Usually in big letterss...

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Brian Sharrock

"Bob Eager" wrote in message
On Mon, 27 Feb 2006 06:20:29 UTC, "Blair" wrote:

First tell us which model!

It is the Dyson dual cyclone.
I have looked for a reference number but neither on the machine or the
handbook does it give a number ,only Dual Cyclone

They are all dual cyclone (I think)! There should be a number such as
DC01, DC02, or DC something. Usually in big letterss...

Although all Dyson's are non-bag there are filters in the exhaust
air-stream. On the earliest DC01(?) these were two separate
disposable 'pads', one of which fitted at the begining of the air-stream
path
and the other at the exit of the air-stream path - one later models the
filter
is a large washable foam pad located towards the exit of the air-stream.
The statement 'isn't working like it used to be ... ' is indicative of
a filter(s) that needs to be thrown away/ cleaned.

anaecdote when my wife and I were trying out the latest
Dyson in a branch of a well-known 'electrical-retailer-shed'
we were somewhat distracted by a couple (relatively young0
who'd brought a 'Dyson' back complaining that 'it isn't picking up
like it used to ...' . The machine they had with them was still full
of muck and dirt - they hadn't bothered to empty it! The staff-member
looked at the machine; asked a few questions of the "When did you
buy it?" type ... then pulled out the filter - which was caked in dirt.
Saying to the customers; - 'You realise you're supposed to clean
the filter?' ; he emptied the collector, placed a new filter into the
machine
and - voila! Lot's of suction ....!
As my wife commented .... 'I'd have been mortified to take such a dirty
machine back to a retailer!' I retorted, 'They've got the same amount
of power deciding who is going to be the Prime Minister as we do!"
Of course, that could expalin a lot

Brian

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Brian Sharrock

"Bob Eager" wrote in message
On Mon, 27 Feb 2006 06:20:29 UTC, "Blair" wrote:

First tell us which model!

It is the Dyson dual cyclone.
I have looked for a reference number but neither on the machine or the
handbook does it give a number ,only Dual Cyclone

They are all dual cyclone (I think)! There should be a number such as
DC01, DC02, or DC something. Usually in big letterss...

Although all Dyson's are non-bag there are filters in the exhaust
air-stream. On the earliest DC01(?) these were two separate
disposable 'pads', one of which fitted at the beginning of the air-stream
path
and the other at the exit of the air-stream path - one later models the
filter
is a large washable foam pad located towards the exit of the air-stream.
The statement 'isn't working like it used to be ... ' is indicative of
a filter(s) that needs to be thrown away/ cleaned.

anecdote
when my wife and I were trying out the latest Dyson in a branch of a
well-known 'electrical-retailer-shed' we were somewhat distracted by a
couple (relatively young)
who'd brought a 'Dyson' back complaining that 'it isn't picking up like it
used to ...' . The machine they had with them was still full of muck and
dirt - they hadn't bothered to empty it!
The staff-member looked at the machine; asked a few questions of the "When
did you
buy it?" type ... then pulled out the filter - which was caked in dirt.
Saying to the customers; - 'You realise you're supposed to clean the
filter?' ; he emptied the collector, placed a new filter into the machine
and - voila! Lot's of suction ....!
/anecdote

As my wife commented .... 'I'd have been mortified to take such a dirty
machine back to a retailer!' I retorted, 'They've got the same amount
of power deciding who is going to be the Prime Minister as we do!"
Of course, that could explain a lot

Brian

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Alan

"Blair" wrote in message
Our Dyson is not performing as well as it did. I have tried to clear all
the
passages but with no success.
There may be a method of clearing the passages and if anyone knows I would
be much obliged
Blair

Find the washable filter(s) in the unit, remove and either wash or replace.

The "No loss of suction" claim is bollix because as these get blocked over
time the suction in reduced!

Alan.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Blair

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
. uk...
Blair wrote:
Our Dyson is not performing as well as it did. I have tried to clear
all the passages but with no success.

(1) Take to dump & throw in skip.

(2) Buy Numatic tub or Sebo upright.

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk
01634 717930
07850 597257

I am delighted to report that I used the garden blower which is very

powerful to blow through all the channels and now the Dyson is working
perfectly again!
Our model is 10 years old
Blair

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Triple Jumper

Blair wrote:

Our Dyson is not performing as well as it did. I have tried to clear
all the passages but with no success.

(1) Take to dump & throw in skip.

(2) Buy Numatic tub or Sebo upright.

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk
01634 717930
07850 597257

I am delighted to report that I used the garden blower which is very

powerful to blow through all the channels and now the Dyson is working
perfectly again!
Our model is 10 years old

That must be a record. Ours lasted 4 years before I got fed up with buying replacement plastic parts, so bought a Sebo.
Do you know some people have set up companies and make a living on Dyson's unreliability?

Blair