Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default gas heating pressure problem

Hi,

I have just bought a new house and, let me say, am very poor at DIY,
but I am trying to learn.

For simplicity, I have taken 4 photos of my gas heating set up and
posted them on a kodak share site. This will hopefully make it easier
for people to see what I mean.

My gas comes from calorgas.

The gas heating has a pipe from which excess water flows if the
pressure is to high. this pipe is steadily flowing water when the heat
is on and the pressure seems to generally be at about 3 when the gas is
on. I have tried to readjust the gas pressure but am not sure how to
do this, and the changes i make seem to have no affect.

http://www.kodakgallery.com/Slidesho...e&conn_speed=1

If you paste the above link into a browser, or click on it if that
works, you will see a slideshow of 4 photos (use arrow to go through
each).

the first photo shows the gas boiler (i think thats what its called).
there is an on-off-reset switch, then another switch, then a dial which
here shows the level at about 1.5.

the next photo shows another dial which also has a reading of 1.5. On
this dial is a knob - i have labbelled A - and a screw - which i have
labelled B. I know this controls the pressure but I can not seem to
make any change to the system. I tried turning the screw to the '-'
and '+' position but no joy.
How is this supposed to control the pressure?

The third photo shows the control panel where i turn on the heating.
Are you supposed to have the heating on or off when you are changing
the gas pressure.

Is there something you are syupposed to do like turn the switch in
photo1 to reset and then change the pressure in photo2.

Any help or clarification on how all this works would be greatly
appreciated.

The 4th photo is a manual override switch - i do not know what this
does.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Kieran

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Aidan

the first photo shows the gas boiler (i think thats what its called).
there is an on-off-reset switch, then another switch, then a dial which
here shows the level at about 1.5.

It is a gas boiler. What make & model? You can usually get the
instructions on-line if you haven't got them.
The dial is a pressure gauge showing the pressure of water in the
heating circuit.

the next photo shows another dial which also has a reading of 1.5. On
this dial is a knob - i have labbelled A - and a screw - which i have
labelled B. I know this controls the pressure but I can not seem to
make any change to the system. I tried turning the screw to the '-'
and '+' position but no joy.
How is this supposed to control the pressure?

That looks like a Caleffi water Pressure Reducing Valve, with a
pressure gauge showing the downstream water pressure in bars. Turning
the screw will alter the pressure & flow rate of water coming out of
your (cold?) taps, it doesn't affect gas pressure (well I hope it
doesn't). I don't know what 'A' does, I'll have to go see.

Don't worry about gas pressure, it's preset & you shouldn't have to
ever touch it.

Is there a separate hot water storage cylinder? . This is for domestic
hot water (DHW) which you use for washing & laundry and is separate
from the water in the heating circuit, mentioned above.

The third photo shows the control panel where i turn on the heating.
Are you supposed to have the heating on or off when you are changing
the gas pressure.

That a Horstmann heating controller/programmer, turns power on to the
boiler when you want it available. I think the H37 is a 3 channel
programmer, i.e., it operates up to 3 zone valves which control the
flow of heat ( typically upstairs heating, downstairs heating & the hot
water storage cylinder heat).

Is there something you are syupposed to do like turn the switch in
photo1 to reset and then change the pressure in photo2.

No.

The 4th photo is a manual override switch - i do not know what this
does.

That's a zone valve (I Think). The white plastic box is the motor,
operated by the programmer. It's fixed to a brass valve connected into
the pipe which turns the heating water on/off.

The gas heating has a pipe from which excess water flows if the
pressure is to high. this pipe is steadily flowing water when the heat
is on and the pressure seems to generally be at about 3 when the gas is
on. I have tried to readjust the gas pressure but am not sure how to
do this, and the changes i make seem to have no affect.

The dripping pipe is probably from a pressure relief (safety) valve on
the heating circuit. There is an expansion vessel on the heating
circuit containing some air; when the heating water is hot it expands
and it compresses the air in the expansion tank. It is probable that
the expansion vessel needs recharging. I'd suggest you get a contractor
to do it now, but it's easy & you could do it yourself when you've
worked out the system.
You'd normally set the heating pressure (pressure gauge on boiler) to 1
bar with the system cold. It will increase when the system is hot. The
pressure relief valve usually discharges some water at 3 bar or 3.5 bar
to limit the pressure.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ed Sirett

On Thu, 23 Feb 2006 06:58:25 -0800, kieran5405 wrote:

[...]

Take a look at the sealed CH FAQ.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Aidan

Aidan wrote:

snip drivel

That looks like a Caleffi water Pressure Reducing Valve, with a
pressure gauge showing the downstream water pressure in bars. Turning
the screw will alter the pressure & flow rate of water coming out of
your (cold?) taps, it doesn't affect gas pressure (well I hope it
doesn't). I don't know what 'A' does, I'll have to go see.

Could be an earlier version of one of these;
http://www.caleffi.com/?q=node/cb/8/...at/7/95/585/30

Might be a pressure reducing valve with a pressure relief (safety)
valve. More pics please. Any writing on the end of the knobs? Use a
mirror to see. You need to trace the dripping pipe and see where it
goes to; into the boiler or into this thing?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Hi guys,

Thanks for all feedback.

The gas boiler is a Vokera Mynute 16e GPL.

On the pressure reducing valve - which has a knob you turn on one side
(called 'A' on photo) and a screw on the other side 'B'. There is the
word KRAMER wrote on the 'B' side. I cant see any other distinquishing
marks on the pressure reducing valve.

I read Ed's article about the sealed heating system and could not find
the 'filling point'. The 'discharge pipe' is located on the underside
of the gas boiler which is located in a utility room. I see from the
article that this is sometimes located outside but in my case it is
located inside. It is from here that the water drips when it hits 3 on
the bar. When this water is coming from the system is this bad for the
system i.e. is it damaging the radiators or the boiler?

Is there a separate hot water storage cylinder? . This is for domestic
hot water (DHW) which you use for washing & laundry and is separate
from the water in the heating circuit, mentioned above.

Aidan. I am not sure about this, I probably should know this but i
could not really see anything. There is nothing else like a cylindar
in the utility room and the hot water in the kitchen taps is heated
from the water setting on the Horstmann heating controller/programmer.
The other two seetings are for the lower and upper floors as you said.

So based on these details, is the water the result of the pressure
reducing valve not been correctly set. I can loosen Knob A on itand
loosen the screw B - should i be doing this - and which way. Or is it
the expansion valve that needs recharging - and how would i do this.

Thanks again for all help.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ed Sirett

On Fri, 24 Feb 2006 07:41:48 -0800, kieran5405 wrote:

I read Ed's article about the sealed heating system and could not find
the 'filling point'. The 'discharge pipe' is located on the underside
of the gas boiler which is located in a utility room. I see from the
article that this is sometimes located outside but in my case it is
located inside. It is from here that the water drips when it hits 3 on
the bar. When this water is coming from the system is this bad for the
system i.e. is it damaging the radiators or the boiler?

The filling point, may be integral with the boiler.
The discharge pipe is very wrong and this means that the installer was a
pillock so other stuff may be wrong too.

Reason for the pressure going to 3 bar are given in the FAQ.
Trace where all the pipe go. If all this is getting beyond the OP he
should get in some help.