Posted to uk.d-i-y
Daisy

Default Laundry, ventilation, etc

I'd really like to get a small tumble drier but there seems to be only
one condenser model and that's too big to fit where I want to put it.

I don't want to have to drape a massive tube through the room and out
the window, not to mention the neighbours would probably complain.

I'm wondering, just how much difference is there between clothes drying
on indoor racks and clothes drying in a tumble drier? Surely the same
amount of moisture goes into the air? Stongly tempted to buy the small
drier and just make sure the windows are open when drying.

Any opinions on this?

Daisy
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Lobster

Daisy wrote:
I'd really like to get a small tumble drier but there seems to be only
one condenser model and that's too big to fit where I want to put it.

I don't want to have to drape a massive tube through the room and out
the window, not to mention the neighbours would probably complain.

If you can't use a condensing model, can you not fit a permanent vent
directly through the wall, terminating in a grill on the outside? It's
a fairly straightforward diy or 'handyman' type job and much better to
the 'long tube' solution.

David
Posted to uk.d-i-y
David Hansen

On Sat, 18 Feb 2006 13:18:01 -0000 someone who may be Daisy
wrote this:-

I'd really like to get a small tumble drier but there seems to be only
one condenser model and that's too big to fit where I want to put it.

I don't want to have to drape a massive tube through the room and out
the window, not to mention the neighbours would probably complain.

Could you provide an outside vent for the machine? This might
involve something under the floor, or oblong ducting along the wall
might be suitable.

Although the amount of water to be removed is the same with drying
racks it is removed from the clothes more slowly and so has more
time to escape before the room becomes noticeably damp.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Can't vent it to the outside, because of the terms of the lease.

Thanks for the explanation about the moisture. It seems to me that as
long as I make sure to leave the windows open until all the moisture
has had time to escape, the end result should be the same.

If mushrooms appear, I'll know I was wrong. :-)

Daisy

Posted to uk.d-i-y

If I had a problem with damp I might consider a dehumidifier. At the
moment, the clothes are dried indoors on racks and there's no problem
with damp. My reasoning is that using a drier won't create extra
moisture, therefore will also not cause problem with damp as long as
the windows are left open till all damp is dispersed.

Tumblers make a lot of sense in my book. Drying the clothes inside on
racks and radiators is unsightly, and takes up time and space which I
can use in other, more life-enhancing ways. :-)

Daisy

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The difference between drying on racks and drying in a drier may not be
all that clear-cut. I found an interesting document at
http://www.mtprog.com/ApprovedBriefi...fingNoteID=368
comparing the various ways of drying clothes. It makes the point that
drying clothes around the house also has costs, and carries damp risks.
I don't know how accurate the comparison are.

As for drying the clothes in a launderette, that seems a rather drastic
solution, considering that you'd have to factor in the labour of
carrying the wet clothes to the launderette, and then factor in your
time spent waiting for possibly a long time for a machine to come free
which was not wanted by a washing customer.

Or I suppose you could choose to wash the clothes there as well, so as
to get priority on the drier; or you could pay the attendant to dry the
clothes. Not my ideal solution though.

Daisy

Posted to uk.d-i-y

To be honest, what you describe does not seem to me to be less
consuming of time and space and (admittedly trivial) labour than
hanging the clothes on airers and racks as I do at present. Throwing
everything in a tumbler would be a lot quicker. But if the load dries
quicker with a dehumidifier, that's definitely an advantage. Thanks
for explaining it. I might give it a try.

Daisy

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article . com,
says...

I can see I didnt explain. The idea is to put the clothes away in the
closet, not drape them around the ktichen. Out of the washer into the
closet. The dehumidifier in the closet is your clothes drying machine.
It wins over tumblers on every point bar one: they take longer than 30
mins to dry. It means even less of your time is wasted compared to
tumblers, less space used, less run cost, less energy use, less noise,
etc. Howbig the family is makes no difference to the comparison, other
than that with a tumble you have to wait even longer before you can put
the clothes away and get on with something else.

Yes I did misunderstand but I still don't get it. A large part of
every load is underwear, which I don't usually hang up in a closet,
call me oldfashioned. Then there's sheets and so on, which also don't
usually get hung up in a closet. So do you put a drying rack in the
closet, hang everything on that, and just treat the closet as if it was
a big drying room?

I don't mean to sound argumentative. A humidifer does sound like it
might be a good option for some loads.

Daisy

I hang just about everything up, but you can do it however suits you.
I've got some extra large hangers for double blankets etc - and I mean
large.

Thin things like smalls can just be placed on a shelf, they dry soon
enough not to need hanging. It works just like a regular built in
wardrobe expect that you dont need to dry stuff, just put it in and it
dries by itself.

The dehumidifier extracts all the water vapour, creating a very dry
atmosphere in the closet, and moves the air round. This makes
everything dry many times quicker than hanging them up would.

If you dont like hanging some items, conventional slatted shelving
would also work.

Japanese multi-peg hangers are ideal for some things, and multilayer

Why Japanese?

MBQ