Posted to uk.d-i-y
Richard Conway

Default Storing Paper/Books in loft

Hi all,

Just a quick one - my Dad always had a big thing about not putting boxes
of paper or books in the loft, as he claimed that there was a chance
they could cause a fire hazard if the paper got very dry and warm during
the summer. I would be interested to hear some people's opinions on this.

It has saddened me over the years as I've slowly realised that my father
who was always the font of all knowledge when I was younger can actually
be wrong on occasion!

Anyway - thanks in advance,
Richard.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
htmark98

I cant really see it as loads of people have books up the attic, Comic
books, old school books etc. Yes it's warm up there in the summer but
check your roof it might have air vents, mine does. I have loads up
there and no fire yet. My mum and dad have had my old books up in their
attic for 15 years and no fire there either.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Christian McArdle

Just a quick one - my Dad always had a big thing about not putting boxes
of paper or books in the loft, as he claimed that there was a chance
they could cause a fire hazard if the paper got very dry and warm during
the summer.

Not one I've come across, although most houses in summer are a tinderbox
waiting for an excuse to go up. It is amazing that there aren't more house
fires, really.

However, one real reason not to keep books up there is that they are heavy.
If placed mid span on the timbers, which are usually weak ones intended only
to hold up the ceiling, then you can flex them and damage the ceilings
below. This problem can be mitigated by putting the boxes directly on top of
a supporting wall.

Christian.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Richard Conway

Christian McArdle wrote:
Just a quick one - my Dad always had a big thing about not putting boxes
of paper or books in the loft, as he claimed that there was a chance
they could cause a fire hazard if the paper got very dry and warm during
the summer.

Not one I've come across, although most houses in summer are a tinderbox
waiting for an excuse to go up. It is amazing that there aren't more house
fires, really.

However, one real reason not to keep books up there is that they are heavy.
If placed mid span on the timbers, which are usually weak ones intended only
to hold up the ceiling, then you can flex them and damage the ceilings
below. This problem can be mitigated by putting the boxes directly on top of
a supporting wall.

Christian.

Not too much of a problem that, as we have an internal wall and an RSJ
replacing an old internal wall within about 4 foot of each other. Gives
us a nice long thin strip of well supported storage space.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Peter Lynch

On 2006-02-15, Richard Conway wrote:
Hi all,

Just a quick one - my Dad always had a big thing about not putting boxes
of paper or books in the loft, as he claimed that there was a chance
they could cause a fire hazard if the paper got very dry and warm during
the summer. I would be interested to hear some people's opinions on this.

It has saddened me over the years as I've slowly realised that my father
who was always the font of all knowledge when I was younger can actually
be wrong on occasion!

Anyway - thanks in advance,
Richard.

It's quite difficult for densely packed paper to catch fire - certainly
it won't spontaneously combust (below 451 F anyway). My loft is full of
books, papers, packing materials and I have never considered it a
problem. The loft does get hot in the summer, well over 40 C and because
of that I'm more concerned about mice or wasps chewing through the
papers, than fire.
If you are still worried, store your papers under a plastic header
tank (if the joists will bear the weight). Then if there is a fire
it'll melt the plastic tank and the water will extinguish the fire :-)

Pete

--
.................................................. .........................
.. never trust a man who, when left alone ...... Pete Lynch .

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Sponix

On Wed, 15 Feb 2006 12:28:18 +0000, Richard Conway
wrote:

Hi all,

Just a quick one - my Dad always had a big thing about not putting boxes
of paper or books in the loft, as he claimed that there was a chance
they could cause a fire hazard if the paper got very dry and warm during
the summer. I would be interested to hear some people's opinions on this.

It has saddened me over the years as I've slowly realised that my father
who was always the font of all knowledge when I was younger can actually
be wrong on occasion!

If the wiring were to overheat then obviously there'd be more stuff to
catch fire. Apart from that I can't see they pose any real hazard.

sponix
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mary Fisher

wrote:

Hi all,

Just a quick one - my Dad always had a big thing about not putting boxes
of paper or books in the loft, as he claimed that there was a chance
they could cause a fire hazard if the paper got very dry and warm during
the summer. I would be interested to hear some people's opinions on this.

It has saddened me over the years as I've slowly realised that my father
who was always the font of all knowledge when I was younger can actually
be wrong on occasion!

If the wiring were to overheat then obviously there'd be more stuff to
catch fire. Apart from that I can't see they pose any real hazard.

Books and stacked paper are VERY difficult to light.

Mary

sponix

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Fawthrop

On Thu, 16 Feb 2006 17:04:52 -0000, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

|"Sponix" wrote in message
| On Wed, 15 Feb 2006 12:28:18 +0000, Richard Conway
| wrote:
|
|Hi all,
|
|Just a quick one - my Dad always had a big thing about not putting boxes
|of paper or books in the loft, as he claimed that there was a chance
|they could cause a fire hazard if the paper got very dry and warm during
|the summer. I would be interested to hear some people's opinions on this.
|
|It has saddened me over the years as I've slowly realised that my father
|who was always the font of all knowledge when I was younger can actually
|be wrong on occasion!
|
| If the wiring were to overheat then obviously there'd be more stuff to
| catch fire. Apart from that I can't see they pose any real hazard.
|
|Books and stacked paper are VERY difficult to light.

Paper itself is quite difficult to light. During WWII it was my job the
twist newspapers into spirals, tie it into a knot, put kindling on top then
coal. If I did not get it right, the paper went out before it was all
burnt.
--
Dave Fawthrop dave hyphenologist co uk
Freedom of Speech, Expression, Religion, and Democracy are
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mathew Newton

Dave Fawthrop wrote:

Paper itself is quite difficult to light. During WWII it was my job the
twist newspapers into spirals, tie it into a knot, put kindling on top then
coal. If I did not get it right, the paper went out before it was all
burnt.

That's not quite the heroic answer to the old 'Grandad, what did *you*
do you during the war?' question!

;-)

Mathew

Posted to uk.d-i-y
raden

In message , Dave Fawthrop
writes

|Books and stacked paper are VERY difficult to light.

Paper itself is quite difficult to light. During WWII it was my job the
twist newspapers into spirals, tie it into a knot, put kindling on top then
coal. If I did not get it right, the paper went out before it was all
burnt.

Your real name's Pike, isn't it

--
geoff

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Fawthrop

On 16 Feb 2006 13:34:38 -0800, "Mathew Newton"
wrote:

|Dave Fawthrop wrote:
|
| Paper itself is quite difficult to light. During WWII it was my job the
| twist newspapers into spirals, tie it into a knot, put kindling on top then
| coal. If I did not get it right, the paper went out before it was all
| burnt.
|
|That's not quite the heroic answer to the old 'Grandad, what did *you*
|do you during the war?' question!

I was only a child doing chores. ;o)
--
Dave Fawthrop dave hyphenologist co uk
Freedom of Speech, Expression, Religion, and Democracy are
the keys to Civilization, together with legal acceptance of
Fundamental Human rights.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Marcus Fox

On 2006-02-15, Richard Conway wrote:
Hi all,

[...]

Would have thought that the water in the tank would conduct the heat away
from the plastic so it wouldn't burn/melt? Have boiled water in a plastic
cup over a candle before.

Marcus

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mary Fisher

"Marcus Fox" wrote in
message ...

On 2006-02-15, Richard Conway wrote:
Hi all,

[...]

That's impressive, , since plastic is a poor conductor.

I remember making a paper kettle from plans in a Daily Mail Annual in the
1940s. Never dared to test it though. I would now but can't find the plan.

Mary

Marcus

Posted to uk.d-i-y
S Viemeister

Mary Fisher wrote:

Would have thought that the water in the tank would conduct the heat away
from the plastic so it wouldn't burn/melt? Have boiled water in a plastic
cup over a candle before.

That's impressive, , since plastic is a poor conductor.

I remember making a paper kettle from plans in a Daily Mail Annual in the
1940s. Never dared to test it though. I would now but can't find the plan.

I've boiled water in a paper cup.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mary Fisher

"S Viemeister" wrote in message
Mary Fisher wrote:

Would have thought that the water in the tank would conduct the heat
away
from the plastic so it wouldn't burn/melt? Have boiled water in a
plastic
cup over a candle before.

That's impressive, , since plastic is a poor conductor.

I remember making a paper kettle from plans in a Daily Mail Annual in the
1940s. Never dared to test it though. I would now but can't find the
plan.

I've boiled water in a paper cup.

Oh I believe you :-) I just didn't have the courage to do it myself at that
very young age - about 7.

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y
S Viemeister

Mary Fisher wrote:

? ? Would have thought that the water in the tank would conduct the heat

?? ? away
?? ? from the plastic so it wouldn't burn/melt? Have boiled water in a
?? ? plastic
?? ? cup over a candle before.
??
?? That's impressive, , since plastic is a poor conductor.
??
?? I remember making a paper kettle from plans in a Daily Mail Annual in the
?? 1940s. Never dared to test it though. I would now but can't find the
?? plan.
??
? I've boiled water in a paper cup.

Oh I believe you :-) I just didn't have the courage to do it myself at that
very young age - about 7.

I was MUCH older when I tried the paper cup thing - at least 11!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mary Fisher wrote:

[...]

LOL! Far be it from me to suggest that Scots are behind the English...

ducks

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y
S Viemeister

Mary Fisher wrote:

"S Viemeister" ? wrote in message
? Mary Fisher wrote:
??
?? "S Viemeister" ? wrote in message
?? ...
?? ? Mary Fisher wrote:
?? ?
?? ?? ? Would have thought that the water in the tank would conduct the heat
?? ?? ? away
?? ?? ? from the plastic so it wouldn't burn/melt? Have boiled water in a
?? ?? ? plastic
?? ?? ? cup over a candle before.
?? ??
?? ?? That's impressive, , since plastic is a poor conductor.
?? ??
?? ?? I remember making a paper kettle from plans in a Daily Mail Annual in
?? the
?? ?? 1940s. Never dared to test it though. I would now but can't find the
?? ?? plan.
?? ??
?? ? I've boiled water in a paper cup.
??
?? Oh I believe you :-) I just didn't have the courage to do it myself at
?? that
?? very young age - about 7.
??
? I was MUCH older when I tried the paper cup thing - at least 11!

LOL! Far be it from me to suggest that Scots are behind the English...

?ducks?

Pfft.
I actually tried it! You were a wee fearty.
So there.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mary Fisher wrote:

"S Viemeister" ? wrote in message
? Mary Fisher wrote:
??
?? "S Viemeister" ? wrote in message
?? ...
?? ? Mary Fisher wrote:
?? ?
[...]

Absolutely true :-)

My Dad's strap was bigger than yours !

Mary
So there.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
S Viemeister

Mary Fisher wrote:

"S Viemeister" wrote
? I actually tried it! You were a wee fearty.

Absolutely true :-)

My Dad's strap was bigger than yours !

My Dad actually encouraged such things!
It drove my poor mother up the wall.

Sheila

Junior Member

Wink

Reckon it will not catch fire spontaneously but will help things along quite well if a fire breaks out from other sources. Only my opinion but why not throw it away? If it is in the loft it means you do not need to look at it. If you do not look at it, you do not need it - go on, be brave, throw away the crap. This of course is unless they are girlie mags, in which case construct a small cupboard next to the toilet - there are many people on the site who will be happy to advise about the best method of construction.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mary Fisher

"S Viemeister" wrote in message
Mary Fisher wrote:

"S Viemeister" wrote
? I actually tried it! You were a wee fearty.

Absolutely true :-)

My Dad's strap was bigger than yours !

My Dad actually encouraged such things!
It drove my poor mother up the wall.

I like your Dad :-)

Mary

Sheila

Posted to uk.d-i-y
S Viemeister

Mary Fisher wrote:

"S Viemeister" ? wrote in message
? Mary Fisher wrote:
??
?? "S Viemeister" ? wrote
?? ? I actually tried it! You were a wee fearty.
??
?? Absolutely true :-)
??
?? My Dad's strap was bigger than yours !
??
? My Dad actually encouraged such things!
? It drove my poor mother up the wall.

I like your Dad :-)

So did I.
Our dining table was used for all sorts of projects - from designing
printed circuits, to electronics assembly (largely HeathKits), to
glass-bending, to woodwork...it was also a pattern layout area for sewing
projects, among other uses.

Sheila
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Fawthrop

On Sun, 19 Feb 2006 14:59:40 +0000, tonytrans
wrote:

|Reckon it will not catch fire spontaneously but will help things along
|quite well if a fire breaks out from other sources. Only my opinion but
|why not throw it away? If it is in the loft it means you do not need to
|look at it. If you do not look at it, you do not need it - go on, be
|brave, throw away the crap. This of course is unless they are girlie
|mags, in which case construct a small cupboard next to the toilet -
|there are many people on the site who will be happy to advise about the
|best method of construction.

One should keep financial information for seven years, as the paper is
evidence if things go wrong.

Now where did I get that seven years from?
--
Dave Fawthrop dave hyphenologist co uk
Freedom of Speech, Expression, Religion, and Democracy are
the keys to Civilization, together with legal acceptance of
Fundamental Human rights.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mary Fisher wrote:

"S Viemeister" ? wrote in message
? Mary Fisher wrote:
??
?? "S Viemeister" ? wrote
?? ? I actually tried it! You were a wee fearty.
??
?? Absolutely true :-)
??
?? My Dad's strap was bigger than yours !
??
? My Dad actually encouraged such things!
? It drove my poor mother up the wall.

I like your Dad :-)

So did I.
Our dining table was used for all sorts of projects - from designing
printed circuits, to electronics assembly (largely HeathKits), to
glass-bending, to woodwork...it was also a pattern layout area for sewing
projects, among other uses.

I really think you're younger than me :-)

Mary

Sheila

Posted to uk.d-i-y
S Viemeister

Mary Fisher wrote:

"S Viemeister" ? wrote in message
? Mary Fisher wrote:
??
?? "S Viemeister" ? wrote in message
?? ...
?? ? Mary Fisher wrote:
?? ??
?? ?? "S Viemeister" ? wrote
?? ?? ? I actually tried it! You were a wee fearty.
?? ??
?? ?? Absolutely true :-)
?? ??
?? ?? My Dad's strap was bigger than yours !
?? ??
?? ? My Dad actually encouraged such things!
?? ? It drove my poor mother up the wall.
??
?? I like your Dad :-)
??
? So did I.
? Our dining table was used for all sorts of projects - from designing
? printed circuits, to electronics assembly (largely HeathKits), to
? glass-bending, to woodwork...it was also a pattern layout area for sewing
? projects, among other uses.

I really think you're younger than me :-)

Only a bit. Anyway, after 40 or 50, a few years more or less seems much
less important.

Sheila
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mary Fisher wrote:

"S Viemeister" ? wrote in message
? Mary Fisher wrote:
??
?? "S Viemeister" ? wrote in message
?? ...
?? ? Mary Fisher wrote:
?? ??
?? ?? "S Viemeister" ? wrote
[...]

True, but that 'bit' was significant when we were children. There were a lot
of 'advances' in the post war years. Our table had been used for dressmaking
all my life though, the distinctive noise of my mother's shears cutting
cloth while I played under the table stays with me.

I wonder what memories of our table our children have - perhaps the engine
block dumped on it by a friend one Christmas Day, or Spouse welding on it or
covered with motor cycle bits or my dissecting bees ...

Still, saves us from dying of boredom!

Mary

Sheila

Loft conversion - technical questions hansen UK diy 11 April 19th 05 07:51 PM
Loft insulation? Mogweed UK diy 26 March 30th 05 07:19 PM
Loft Space Jon Rowlan UK diy 2 January 21st 05 07:02 AM
Adding CH to new loft - advice please [email protected] UK diy 19 January 7th 04 08:58 AM
Angle Iron for a loft Jim Stewart Metalworking 1 July 17th 03 11:47 PM