Posted to uk.d-i-y
shotguntony

Default E30 BMW

Hi All, I've managed to snap off my ignition key in my E30 BMW and I've
managed to locate a new barrell with the full bracket. Meanwhile, I
thought I'd remove my existing bracket, so, removed steering wheel,
shrouds, etc and also what looks like a retaining pin with spring and
bushes thinking that the bracket would now pull off the steering
column. Either I'm not doing something obvious or it may be just an
incredibly tight fit, could do with a bit of help... TIA...

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Plowman (News)

In article .com,
shotguntony wrote:
Hi All, I've managed to snap off my ignition key in my E30 BMW and I've
managed to locate a new barrell with the full bracket. Meanwhile, I
thought I'd remove my existing bracket, so, removed steering wheel,
shrouds, etc and also what looks like a retaining pin with spring and
bushes thinking that the bracket would now pull off the steering
column. Either I'm not doing something obvious or it may be just an
incredibly tight fit, could do with a bit of help... TIA...

Dunno your car, but most have some 'thief proof' method of fixing the
steering lock assembly. Often shear bolts.

--
*Make it idiot-proof and someone will make a better idiot.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
norm

Try uk.rec.cars.maintenance.

Some experienced people in there.

On 11 Feb 2006 12:38:47 -0800, "shotguntony"
wrote:

Hi All, I've managed to snap off my ignition key in my E30 BMW and I've
managed to locate a new barrell with the full bracket. Meanwhile, I
thought I'd remove my existing bracket, so, removed steering wheel,
shrouds, etc and also what looks like a retaining pin with spring and
bushes thinking that the bracket would now pull off the steering
column. Either I'm not doing something obvious or it may be just an
incredibly tight fit, could do with a bit of help... TIA...

Posted to uk.d-i-y
John

wrote:

Hi All, I've managed to snap off my ignition key in my E30 BMW and I've
managed to locate a new barrell with the full bracket. Meanwhile, I
thought I'd remove my existing bracket, so, removed steering wheel,
shrouds, etc and also what looks like a retaining pin with spring and
bushes thinking that the bracket would now pull off the steering
column. Either I'm not doing something obvious or it may be just an
incredibly tight fit, could do with a bit of help... TIA...

Bear in mind the telescopic feature. When I had to do a similar job on a
Vauxhall I had to undo a clamp at the bottom end and push the column to
clear some clamps that were at the top.