Posted to uk.d-i-y
The Medway Handyman

Default Removing Radiators

Hi All

I've heard of a gadget that allows you to remove a radiator without draining
it out. Works on some kinda vacuum or something?

Anyone know what its called? Or tried one?

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Brian Reay

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
k...
Hi All

I've heard of a gadget that allows you to remove a radiator without
draining it out. Works on some kinda vacuum or something?

Anyone know what its called? Or tried one?

They used to be advertised in the plumbing mags. You closed the lockshield
valves, removed the bleed screw, screwed in the magic device (an air valve
with a threaded section that fitted the bleed screw thread), opened one of
the lockshields, and pumped in air. Displaced water went into header tank
( we are talking vented systems). When rad was empty, close opened
lockshield, open other one for a bit of pumping, close it, and job done.

Remove rad and, when you put it back, replace the magic device with the
bleed screw.

__
73
Brian
www.g8osn.org.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y
al

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
k...
Hi All

I've heard of a gadget that allows you to remove a radiator without
draining it out. Works on some kinda vacuum or something?

Anyone know what its called? Or tried one?

You can freeze the pipes? Need to be quick tho ....

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Hall

On Fri, 10 Feb 2006 18:10:49 GMT, "The Medway Handyman"
wrote:

Hi All

I've heard of a gadget that allows you to remove a radiator without draining
it out. Works on some kinda vacuum or something?

Anyone know what its called? Or tried one?

Are you thinking of the rubber bungs that Myson do for use with open
vent systems?

These go in the feed and vent pipes and if you are lucky prevent water
draining out.

--

..andy

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Roger Mills \(aka Set Square\)

Brian Reay wrote:

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in
message k...
Hi All

I've heard of a gadget that allows you to remove a radiator without
draining it out. Works on some kinda vacuum or something?

Anyone know what its called? Or tried one?

They used to be advertised in the plumbing mags. You closed the
lockshield valves, removed the bleed screw, screwed in the magic
device (an air valve with a threaded section that fitted the bleed
screw thread), opened one of the lockshields, and pumped in air.
Displaced water went into header tank ( we are talking vented
systems). When rad was empty, close opened lockshield, open other one
for a bit of pumping, close it, and job done.
Remove rad and, when you put it back, replace the magic device with
the bleed screw.

I've never seen a commercially available device - but, many years ago, I did
make a DIY device for pumping air into the bleed hole. It uses a Schrader
valve from a car tyre and can either replace the bleed pin when there's no
separate bleed assembly - or can replace the whole assembly if it's 1/8"
BSP. I posted a picture of it a while ago at
http://www.mills37.plus.com/Inflation_tool.jpg
--
Cheers,
Roger

Posted to uk.d-i-y
jaycee

I have used the bungs very sucessfully to fit replacement T/valves

Posted to uk.d-i-y
The Medway Handyman

jaycee wrote:
I have used the bungs very sucessfully to fit replacement T/valves

OK - what are they called and where do you get them?

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Steve Walker

wrote:

Hi All

I've heard of a gadget that allows you to remove a radiator
without draining it out. Works on some kinda vacuum or
something?

Anyone know what its called? Or tried one?

Are you thinking of the rubber bungs that Myson do for use with
open vent systems?

These go in the feed and vent pipes and if you are lucky prevent
water draining out.

Easier to just use push-fit end-stops nowadays?

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Steve Walker

The Medway Handyman wrote:
jaycee wrote:
I have used the bungs very sucessfully to fit replacement
T/valves

OK - what are they called and where do you get them?

Dave, they're just large rubber bungs. Push-fit end-stop fittings would do
the same thing, without the worry of them falling out partway through the
job.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Hall

wrote:

Hi All

I've heard of a gadget that allows you to remove a radiator
without draining it out. Works on some kinda vacuum or
something?

Anyone know what its called? Or tried one?

Are you thinking of the rubber bungs that Myson do for use with
open vent systems?

These go in the feed and vent pipes and if you are lucky prevent
water draining out.

Easier to just use push-fit end-stops nowadays?

You could, but then you would have to cut the feed pipe and remake the
joint.

--

..andy

Adding a new 15mm run for radiators? htmark98 UK diy 18 December 29th 05 11:32 PM
hot air heating versus radiators Ron UK diy 15 October 3rd 05 11:49 PM
3 out of 12 radiators not working - ideas? nico62 UK diy 6 December 13th 04 06:56 PM
Removing radiators John UK diy 4 October 26th 04 12:07 PM
top floor radiators are hot on bottom, cold on top kjpro Home Repair 4 November 16th 03 02:34 PM