DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Disposing of Fluorescent Tubes (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/144147-disposing-fluorescent-tubes.html)

Kev February 10th 06 09:20 AM

Disposing of Fluorescent Tubes

My council have always taken tubes before but they are classed as
hazardous waste and can't go in landfill so I will have to burn petrol,
putting CO2 into the atmosphere taking one 4ft tube to the council dump
to be diposed of. There again I could put the tube back in the bin and
hit it on the side with a hammer.
Just wondered what is so hazardous about a tube that it can't go into
landfill.
Also bearing in mind that there has been debate this week about fining
people for using a filament bulb and encougaging the use of compact
fluorescent bulbs whether the CO2 saved by using the more efficient
bulbs is going to be more than offset by the extra CO2 used in
disposing of Fluorescent tubes and bulbs.

Kevin

Sponix February 10th 06 09:58 AM

On 10 Feb 2006 01:20:49 -0800, "Kev" wrote:

My council have always taken tubes before but they are classed as
hazardous waste and can't go in landfill so I will have to burn petrol,
putting CO2 into the atmosphere taking one 4ft tube to the council dump
to be diposed of. There again I could put the tube back in the bin and
hit it on the side with a hammer.
Just wondered what is so hazardous about a tube that it can't go into
landfill.

It's the phosphor powder on the inside of the tube that is the
problem.

Personally, I just smash them up into little bits and flush 'em down
the toilet.

(Only joking before anyone starts)

sponix

Dave Fawthrop February 10th 06 10:04 AM

Disposing of Fluorescent Tubes

On 10 Feb 2006 01:20:49 -0800, "Kev" wrote:

|My council have always taken tubes before but they are classed as
|hazardous waste and can't go in landfill so I will have to burn petrol,
|putting CO2 into the atmosphere taking one 4ft tube to the council dump
|to be diposed of. There again I could put the tube back in the bin and
|hit it on the side with a hammer.

Health and safety gone mad.

Wrap/twist them in several layers of newspaper to stop the glass flying
everywhere. Tap them with a hammer. Put everything in a cereal packet
*Then* put that in the bin, they will never notice.

|Just wondered what is so hazardous about a tube that it can't go into
|landfill.

Umpteen years ago some fluorescent tube contained beryllium
http://www.osha.gov/SLTC/beryllium/ but that generation of tubes will have
gone into landfill long ago.
--
Dave Fawthrop dave hyphenologist co uk Please quote, with quote
character, previous post sniped to only the bit you are replying to.

Mark Carver February 10th 06 10:15 AM

Kev wrote:

Just wondered what is so hazardous about a tube that it can't go into
landfill.

Is it not the mercury content ?

Roger Mills \(aka Set Square\) February 10th 06 10:25 AM

Kev wrote:

My council have always taken tubes before but they are classed as
hazardous waste and can't go in landfill so I will have to burn
petrol, putting CO2 into the atmosphere taking one 4ft tube to the
council dump to be diposed of. There again I could put the tube back
in the bin and hit it on the side with a hammer.
Just wondered what is so hazardous about a tube that it can't go into
landfill.
Also bearing in mind that there has been debate this week about fining
people for using a filament bulb and encougaging the use of compact
fluorescent bulbs whether the CO2 saved by using the more efficient
bulbs is going to be more than offset by the extra CO2 used in
disposing of Fluorescent tubes and bulbs.

Kevin

The place where I buy my tubes in Leamington Spa has a skip at the back for
old ones. So the fuel I burn in fetching a new one also serves to dispose of
the old one.
--
Cheers,
Roger

[email protected] February 10th 06 10:26 AM

Kev wrote:

My council have always taken tubes before but they are classed as
hazardous waste and can't go in landfill so I will have to burn petrol,
putting CO2 into the atmosphere taking one 4ft tube to the council dump
to be diposed of. There again I could put the tube back in the bin and
hit it on the side with a hammer.
Just wondered what is so hazardous about a tube that it can't go into
landfill.

where else is it going to go?

Also bearing in mind that there has been debate this week about fining
people for using a filament bulb

taxing them would make most sense, then people are still free to use
what they want. Perhaps 50p per filament bulb.

and encougaging the use of compact
fluorescent bulbs whether the CO2 saved by using the more efficient
bulbs is going to be more than offset by the extra CO2 used in
disposing of Fluorescent tubes and bulbs.

the reality is dead linears and CFLs can all be run happily on the
right type of gear. It works by passing the power into the tube
capacitively through the glass wall. Condition of the electrodes is
then irrelevant.

Old halophosphate tubes output decreases over the life of the tube, but
the modern triphosphors are much better in this respect.

NT

Chris Bacon February 10th 06 10:29 AM

Disposing of Fluorescent Tubes

http://www.remade.org.uk/Glass/fluor..._recycling.htm

The3rd Earl Of Derby February 10th 06 10:29 AM

Kev wrote:
My council have always taken tubes before but they are classed as
hazardous waste and can't go in landfill so I will have to burn
petrol, putting CO2 into the atmosphere taking one 4ft tube to the
council dump to be diposed of. There again I could put the tube back
in the bin and hit it on the side with a hammer.
Just wondered what is so hazardous about a tube that it can't go into
landfill.
Also bearing in mind that there has been debate this week about fining
people for using a filament bulb and encougaging the use of compact
fluorescent bulbs whether the CO2 saved by using the more efficient
bulbs is going to be more than offset by the extra CO2 used in
disposing of Fluorescent tubes and bulbs.

Kevin

Damn! now I need a new tube after accidently hitting it with a broom pole.

Get real and smash the darn thing and shovel remains in a cardboard box
then put it in the bin.

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

The Natural Philosopher February 10th 06 10:58 AM

Mark Carver wrote:
Kev wrote:

Just wondered what is so hazardous about a tube that it can't go into
landfill.

Is it not the mercury content ?

that was my undertstanding.
The phosphors are relatively harmless.

No doubt there will be issues with CFLs in due course...

Sponix February 10th 06 11:05 AM

Disposing of Fluorescent Tubes

On Fri, 10 Feb 2006 10:58:29 +0000, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

Mark Carver wrote:
Kev wrote:

Just wondered what is so hazardous about a tube that it can't go into
landfill.

Is it not the mercury content ?

that was my undertstanding.
The phosphors are relatively harmless.

So where is the mercury, if it's not in the phosphor powder?

sponix

Mark Carver February 10th 06 11:12 AM

wrote:

Mark Carver wrote:
Kev wrote:

Just wondered what is so hazardous about a tube that it can't go into
landfill.

Is it not the mercury content ?

that was my undertstanding.
The phosphors are relatively harmless.

So where is the mercury, if it's not in the phosphor powder?

It's in vapour form AIUI ? isn't it 'solidified' mercury that cause
the ends of the tube to go black eventually ?

The Natural Philosopher February 10th 06 11:16 AM

wrote:

Mark Carver wrote:
Kev wrote:

Just wondered what is so hazardous about a tube that it can't go into
landfill.
Is it not the mercury content ?

that was my undertstanding.
The phosphors are relatively harmless.

So where is the mercury, if it's not in the phosphor powder?

sponix

Usually lying around in the tube. You can actually pour he odd blob of
mercury out of a broken tube.

Fluorescents are mercury vapour lamps. The plasma discharge is primarily
through mercury vapour, which then generates a complex spectrum of
lines, some in the visible spectrum, but a lot in the UV spectrum.

The job of the *phosphor coated tube* is to take those UV emissions and
re-emit them as visible light.

The two processes are completely distinct and separate. As are the
chemicals involved.

I believe that to get the mercury there, a small blob of mercury is
placed in the tube, its taken down to a very low pressure, and the
mercury 'boils' off and fills the tube as vapour.

T i m February 10th 06 11:28 AM

Disposing of Fluorescent Tubes

On Fri, 10 Feb 2006 10:04:06 +0000, Dave Fawthrop
wrote:

Umpteen years ago some fluorescent tube contained beryllium

Wasn't it also in the heatsink compound we used to use ..?

All the best ..

T i m

Dave Fawthrop February 10th 06 11:46 AM

Disposing of Fluorescent Tubes

On Fri, 10 Feb 2006 10:29:29 +0000, Chris Bacon
wrote:

|http://www.remade.org.uk/Glass/fluor..._recycling.htm

DEFRA currently advises that there should be a distinction between volumes
of tubes disposed. Large quantities should be treated as hazardous (but
non-special) waste, whilst small quantities can be disposed of as
non-hazardous household or commercial waste. It is currently the
responsibility of individual Local Authorities to determine what qualifies
as a large quantity; however it has been suggested this may be anything in
excess of 20 to 30 tubes.

OP council has gone mad :-(

Sponix February 10th 06 12:01 PM

Disposing of Fluorescent Tubes

On 10 Feb 2006 03:12:16 -0800, "Mark Carver"
wrote:

So where is the mercury, if it's not in the phosphor powder?

It's in vapour form AIUI ? isn't it 'solidified' mercury that cause
the ends of the tube to go black eventually ?

So once the tube is broken then the mercury vapour presumably
disperses.

sponix

Kev February 10th 06 12:14 PM

wrote:

Mark Carver wrote:
Kev wrote:

[...]

Given the number of old household tubes going to landfill, the volume
of mecury as a total of the of the landfill volume must be in the same
order as the background mecury content.
So the energy inefficient filament bulb is not quite the villain that
all the greens make it ou to be.

Kevin

The Natural Philosopher February 10th 06 12:25 PM

wrote:

So where is the mercury, if it's not in the phosphor powder?

It's in vapour form AIUI ? isn't it 'solidified' mercury that cause
the ends of the tube to go black eventually ?

So once the tube is broken then the mercury vapour presumably
disperses.

sponix

No, it condenses into liquid mercury.

A fairly toxic, but not totally hazardous element.

The Natural Philosopher February 10th 06 12:26 PM

wrote:

Mark Carver wrote:
Kev wrote:

[...]

he trouble is that the green movement has relied on sloppy thinking for
years.

Full pollution analysis probably makes nuclear power amongst the
greenest thing there is...

the amount of energy in recycling stuff probably makes most of it
counter productive.

Kevin

Tony Bryer February 10th 06 01:07 PM

On Fri, 10 Feb 2006 09:58:33 GMT Sponix wrote :
It's the phosphor powder on the inside of the tube that is the
problem.

Once it escapes and reacts with air is it any different to the
phosphorus in garden fertiliser?

[Latest version QSEDBUK 1.12 released 8 Dec 2005]

Peter Crosland February 10th 06 01:22 PM

Disposing of Fluorescent Tubes

|My council have always taken tubes before but they are classed as
|hazardous waste and can't go in landfill so I will have to burn petrol,
|putting CO2 into the atmosphere taking one 4ft tube to the council dump
|to be diposed of. There again I could put the tube back in the bin and
|hit it on the side with a hammer.

Health and safety gone mad.

It is not actually. The mercury content is very hazardous in large amounts.
The problem is,as with so many things, a questions of scale. The odd tube
here and there discarded into landfill is not in itself likely to be a
hazard. Scale that up the millions of tubes discarded each year and it
amounts to significant amount of a very toxic material that does not
decompose.

Peter Crosland

Kev February 10th 06 02:14 PM

Peter Crosland wrote:
|My council have always taken tubes before but they are classed as
|hazardous waste and can't go in landfill so I will have to burn petrol,
|putting CO2 into the atmosphere taking one 4ft tube to the council dump
|to be diposed of. There again I could put the tube back in the bin and
|hit it on the side with a hammer.

Health and safety gone mad.

It is not actually. The mercury content is very hazardous in large amounts.
The problem is,as with so many things, a questions of scale. The odd tube
here and there discarded into landfill is not in itself likely to be a
hazard. Scale that up the millions of tubes discarded each year and it
amounts to significant amount of a very toxic material that does not
decompose.

Peter Crosland

Like everything with the green issue, the whole thing is scewed up.
Scale up the millions of tubes discarded every amounts to significant
amounts of toxic material has to considered in the context of the
thousands of gallons of petrol that will now be burnt by householders
taking their old tubes and compact bulbs to the fuse tip.
I probabley dispose of one, possibley two tubes a year. I think that I
have only had to replace one compact bulb over a period of ten years.
Considering the amount of hazardous waste that would generate as a
percentage of just the tons of useless packaging I get through in a
year verses the trips to the tip that I am now expected to make doesn't
make sense.
But it is like the criticism levelled this week on the amount of water
used by households. With 30% of water lost before it even reaches the
tap the environmentalists are levelling their anger at the wrong
people.

Kevin

The Natural Philosopher February 10th 06 05:19 PM

Disposing of Fluorescent Tubes

Kev wrote:
..
But it is like the criticism levelled this week on the amount of water
used by households. With 30% of water lost before it even reaches the
tap the environmentalists are levelling their anger at the wrong
people.

The answer is to use more water: Then the relatively fixed losses of the
pipelines will drop to less in proportion :-)

This is the sort of inspired thinking that any government department is
expert at.

Pete C February 10th 06 05:39 PM

Disposing of Fluorescent Tubes

How many uk.d-i-yers does it take to dispose of a fluorescent tube?

Total so far...:

1 to jokingly suggest flushing it down the loo

3 to suggest smashing it and putting it in the bin in a box

3 to enquire about the toxic nature of the tube and it's materials

3 to discuss the properties and alterative uses of the toxic materials

3 to discuss how the toxic materials enable to tube to work

3 to discuss what happens to the toxic materials when the tube is
broken

2 to complain about excessive health and safety

2 to complain about the CO2 generated by driving to the tip

1 to complain about the toxic materials being landfilled

1 to propose that the tubes being landfilled isn't a problem

2 to disagree about tubes being landfilled and discuss tube recyling

to be continued...?

Andy Dingley February 10th 06 06:51 PM

Disposing of Fluorescent Tubes

On Fri, 10 Feb 2006 09:58:33 GMT, (Sponix) wrote:

It's the phosphor powder on the inside of the tube that is the
problem.

Not usually (_some_ obscure phosphors are hazzardous)

The problem with fluorescents is the mercury vapour in them.

Derek ^ February 10th 06 07:10 PM

On 10 Feb 2006 06:14:17 -0800, "Kev" wrote:

Like everything with the green issue, the whole thing is scewed up.
Scale up the millions of tubes discarded every amounts to significant
amounts of toxic material has to considered in the context of the
thousands of gallons of petrol that will now be burnt by householders
taking their old tubes and compact bulbs to the fuse tip.
I probabley dispose of one, possibley two tubes a year. I think that I
have only had to replace one compact bulb over a period of ten years.
Considering the amount of hazardous waste that would generate as a
percentage of just the tons of useless packaging I get through in a
year verses the trips to the tip that I am now expected to make doesn't
make sense.

This is a common market thing hyped up by the tube disposal
"industry".

I've seen an advert that just one fluorescent tube contains enough
mercury to contaminate 30,000 Cubic Metres of groundwater. What the ad
avoided saying is that it the Mercury doesn't actually end up in
groundwater most of it gets sequestered by chemicals (Sulphur ?) in
the environment.

DG

Lobster February 10th 06 07:20 PM

Kev wrote:

But it is like the criticism levelled this week on the amount of water
used by households. With 30% of water lost before it even reaches the
tap the environmentalists are levelling their anger at the wrong
people.

The answer is to use more water: Then the relatively fixed losses of the
pipelines will drop to less in proportion :-)

Not far from where I live there's a quite substantial amount of water
emerging from a bleb in the middle of a road - obviously a broken water
main - where it runs down the hill and down a drain; the road is always
wet. Last week I decided to report it to United Utilities - I couldn't
believe that somebody hadn't already done so as it had been going for
ages, but anyway... (In my defence, had it been in my road I'd have
phoned UU straight away, but as there must several hundred homes between
me and the leak, I didn't think it was really down to me!).

So, I got through on the phone, and the nice lady said, "Ah yes, we
already know about that leak, thanks. Somebody reported it in.... er,
August".

David

Derek ^ February 10th 06 07:31 PM

wrote:

So where is the mercury, if it's not in the phosphor powder?

It's in vapour form AIUI ?

In cool conditions it condenses to liquid Mercury. When the tube is
running the Mercury vapourises. It is this that is responsible for the
warm up delay that cheap compact fluorescents exhibit.

isn't it 'solidified' mercury that cause
the ends of the tube to go black eventually ?

No it's the actual metal of the filaments which gets ripped off the
filament surface by the discharge, especially if the filaments aren't
hot enough, at start-up for instance, or if the ballast &/or starter
doesn't provide enough pre-heat. Eventually this leaves the filaments
thin and weak and they break.

Probably the origin of stories that it's cheaper to leave fluorescents
on than switch them off.

DG

raden February 10th 06 07:59 PM

Disposing of Fluorescent Tubes

In message , T i m
writes
wrote:

Umpteen years ago some fluorescent tube contained beryllium

Wasn't it also in the heatsink compound we used to use ..?

Heat conductive washers etc

--
geoff

John February 10th 06 09:12 PM

wrote:

So where is the mercury, if it's not in the phosphor powder?

It's in vapour form AIUI ?

In cool conditions it condenses to liquid Mercury. When the tube is
running the Mercury vapourises. It is this that is responsible for the
warm up delay that cheap compact fluorescents exhibit.

isn't it 'solidified' mercury that cause
the ends of the tube to go black eventually ?

No it's the actual metal of the filaments which gets ripped off the
filament surface by the discharge, especially if the filaments aren't
hot enough, at start-up for instance, or if the ballast &/or starter
doesn't provide enough pre-heat. Eventually this leaves the filaments
thin and weak and they break.

Probably the origin of stories that it's cheaper to leave fluorescents
on than switch them off.

DG

We get very hung up over such issues but consider the environmental damage
that arson creates.

Chris Bacon February 10th 06 09:53 PM

Kev wrote:
But it is like the criticism levelled this week on the amount of water
used by households. With 30% of water lost before it even reaches the
tap the environmentalists are levelling their anger at the wrong
people.

Lavatory cisterns with flap valves waste lost of water.

al February 10th 06 10:24 PM

"Lobster" wrote in message
So, I got through on the phone, and the nice lady said, "Ah yes, we
already know about that leak, thanks. Somebody reported it in.... er,
August".

David

I hesitate to jump to their defence, but it can be quite difficult to get
permission to close a road for roadworks. Lots of rules about how many
times a year and how many different services club together to share the
inconvenience, etc. Having said that, they don't really seem to care a
great deal if it's a cost to them to do something (you can bet your life if
a customer was benefiting from something they'd jump to it!).

Andrew Gabriel February 10th 06 10:36 PM

Disposing of Fluorescent Tubes

In article ,
"Peter Crosland" writes:

It is not actually. The mercury content is very hazardous in large amounts.
The problem is,as with so many things, a questions of scale. The odd tube
here and there discarded into landfill is not in itself likely to be a
hazard. Scale that up the millions of tubes discarded each year and it
amounts to significant amount of a very toxic material that does not
decompose.

In modern tubes, it's tiny though.
I saw a discussion of this relating to the World Trade Center
collapse. Some of those nearby were concerned they might have
got mercury poisoning from the tubes in the building breaking.
They might have a small valid concern about mercury poison,
but not from the tubes. The mercury released from the teeth
fillings of the people who died is orders of magnitude higher.
In the UK, it averages 3g per person at the crematorium.

--
Andrew Gabriel

Andrew Gabriel February 10th 06 10:50 PM

Derek ^ writes:

No it's the actual metal of the filaments which gets ripped off the
filament surface by the discharge, especially if the filaments aren't

Actually, it's the emission coating on the filaments,
not the metal. Once the emission coating is all sputtered
off, the filaments can't transfer enough current into the
gas to maintain the discharge, unless the control gear
has enough voltage headroom to make the tube operate as
a cold cathode tube.

hot enough, at start-up for instance, or if the ballast &/or starter
doesn't provide enough pre-heat. Eventually this leaves the filaments
thin and weak and they break.

This will happen if the tube continues running in cold cathode
mode after the emission coating is all gone. This is dangerous
as it will overheat the tube ends, with the possibility of
melting the lampholder, igniting something nearby, or causing
the glass to crack or melt and the tube falling out. Control
gear should ensure a tube which has lost it's emission coating
(and is strictly dead) is not allowed to continue operating
at higher tube voltages until catastophic failure, although
I've certainly got some examples which don't.

--
Andrew Gabriel

Andy Hall February 10th 06 11:29 PM

Disposing of Fluorescent Tubes

On 10 Feb 2006 22:36:04 GMT, andrew@a17 (Andrew Gabriel) wrote:

In article ,
"Peter Crosland" writes:

It is not actually. The mercury content is very hazardous in large amounts.
The problem is,as with so many things, a questions of scale. The odd tube
here and there discarded into landfill is not in itself likely to be a
hazard. Scale that up the millions of tubes discarded each year and it
amounts to significant amount of a very toxic material that does not
decompose.

In modern tubes, it's tiny though.
I saw a discussion of this relating to the World Trade Center
collapse. Some of those nearby were concerned they might have
got mercury poisoning from the tubes in the building breaking.
They might have a small valid concern about mercury poison,
but not from the tubes. The mercury released from the teeth
fillings of the people who died is orders of magnitude higher.
In the UK, it averages 3g per person at the crematorium.

I'd heard this.

Some years ago the dentist showed me a container where he collected
left over amalgam filling material recovered from utensils and a
filter under the drain of the little spitoon.

It wasn't a large box but weighed several kilos.

I gradually had old childhood fillings replaced until they were all
gone. I would have liked to have lost more weight but every little
helps.

--

..andy

Frank Erskine February 10th 06 11:38 PM

"Peter Crosland" writes:

It is not actually. The mercury content is very hazardous in large amounts.
The problem is,as with so many things, a questions of scale. The odd tube
here and there discarded into landfill is not in itself likely to be a
hazard. Scale that up the millions of tubes discarded each year and it
amounts to significant amount of a very toxic material that does not
decompose.

In modern tubes, it's tiny though.
I saw a discussion of this relating to the World Trade Center
collapse. Some of those nearby were concerned they might have
got mercury poisoning from the tubes in the building breaking.
They might have a small valid concern about mercury poison,
but not from the tubes. The mercury released from the teeth
fillings of the people who died is orders of magnitude higher.
In the UK, it averages 3g per person at the crematorium.

Sheesh - how many people nowadays have Hg fillings in their teeth? I
thought white fillings were "de rigeur".

Or crowns.

--
Frank Erskine
Sunderland

Andy Dingley February 10th 06 11:45 PM

Disposing of Fluorescent Tubes

On Fri, 10 Feb 2006 17:39:40 +0000, Pete C wrote:

to be continued...?

The tubes (unbroken) never fail, only the heaters.

So either build yourself a Tesla coil, or go and live under a Grid
powerline and light them up again just with the external field.

Tim S February 10th 06 11:59 PM

Andy Dingley wrote:

On Fri, 10 Feb 2006 17:39:40 +0000, Pete C wrote:

to be continued...?

The tubes (unbroken) never fail, only the heaters.

So either build yourself a Tesla coil, or go and live under a Grid
powerline and light them up again just with the external field.

I saw that (too?) on Tomorrow's World :)

But would you be charged with stealing electricity?

Must try it sometime - there's a set of lines just down the road, 'twill
amuse the local chavs.

Tim

mogga February 11th 06 03:58 PM

wrote:

How many uk.d-i-yers does it take to dispose of a fluorescent tube?

Total so far...:

1 to jokingly suggest flushing it down the loo

3 to suggest smashing it and putting it in the bin in a box

3 to enquire about the toxic nature of the tube and it's materials

3 to discuss the properties and alterative uses of the toxic materials

3 to discuss how the toxic materials enable to tube to work

3 to discuss what happens to the toxic materials when the tube is
broken

2 to complain about excessive health and safety

2 to complain about the CO2 generated by driving to the tip

1 to complain about the toxic materials being landfilled

1 to propose that the tubes being landfilled isn't a problem

2 to disagree about tubes being landfilled and discuss tube recyling

to be continued...?

And 1 to comment on the different things people have gone off tangent
on.
Or have I made that 2 now?
--
Get money off vouchers for everything
http://www.moneyoffvouchers.co.uk

[email protected] February 11th 06 05:00 PM

Frank Erskine wrote:
(Andrew Gabriel) wrote:
"Peter Crosland" writes:

The mercury released from the teeth
fillings of the people who died is orders of magnitude higher.
In the UK, it averages 3g per person at the crematorium.

Sheesh - how many people nowadays have Hg fillings in their teeth?

I do. I've still got all my childhood fillings in there. They've done
me for 30 years, why would I change them now ?

Or am I going to die soon ;-)

Paul (who doesn't eat toffees ;)

raden February 11th 06 08:47 PM

Disposing of Fluorescent Tubes

In message , Andy Hall
writes
On 11 Feb 2006 09:00:14 -0800, wrote:
The mercury released from the teeth
fillings of the people who died is orders of magnitude higher.
In the UK, it averages 3g per person at the crematorium.

Sheesh - how many people nowadays have Hg fillings in their teeth?

I'm not sure about that, but modern filling materials are stronger and
adhere better than amalgam filling material so when it comes to
replacement

I can't agree there

I've had problems with ceramic fillings falling out

my molar fillings are Hg amalgam

--
geoff