Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default best material for boxing in pipes in downstairs loo?

Can anyone recommend the best sheet material for boxing in pipes in a
downstairs loo? Plywood? Hardboard? Chipboard? MDF?

I plan to paint the box to match the wall. I think MDF would paint up
best, not sure how waterproof it is though. Maybe if I prime it
including the edges it would work?

thanks in advance

Julian

Posted to uk.d-i-y
The Medway Handyman

Harry Bloomfield wrote:

I plan to paint the box to match the wall. I think MDF would paint up
best, not sure how waterproof it is though. Maybe if I prime it
including the edges it would work?

It shouldn't matter how waterproof it is. How will it ever get wet? And if
its painted, the surface isn't MDF anymore, it's paint. If the paint is
resistant to the steam & moisture in a bathroom thats all that matters.

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Harry Bloomfield

The Medway Handyman brought next idea :
It shouldn't matter how waterproof it is. How will it ever get wet?

Where there are pipes, there will be moisture - even if it is only
condensation on the pipes.

And if
its painted, the surface isn't MDF anymore, it's paint. If the paint is
resistant to the steam & moisture in a bathroom thats all that matters.

The paint might be resistant, but that does not mean it will be
completely water proof.

--

Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Nigel Molesworth

On Sun, 05 Feb 2006 07:55:46 GMT, Harry Bloomfield wrote:

Where there are pipes, there will be moisture - even if it is only
condensation on the pipes.

So does that mean you shouldn't use plaster on the walls in a WC?

MDF will be fine, and nice to work with.

--
Nigel M
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Harry Bloomfield

Nigel Molesworth has brought this to us :
So does that mean you shouldn't use plaster on the walls in a WC?

Plaster will not immiediatly suffer from a small amount of water and it
can usually dry out without damage.

MDF will be fine, and nice to work with.

At least until it gets some damp in it, then it will just crumble :-)

--

Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)
http://www.ukradioamateur.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y
The Medway Handyman

Harry Bloomfield wrote:

At least until it gets some damp in it, then it will just crumble :-)

The entire point is not to let any damp get to it. Seal it, paint it, tile
it, whatever. Easy enough to do.

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Fawthrop

On Mon, 06 Feb 2006 00:05:58 GMT, "The Medway Handyman"
wrote:

|Harry Bloomfield wrote:
|
| At least until it gets some damp in it, then it will just crumble :-)
|
|The entire point is not to let any damp get to it. Seal it, paint it, tile
|it, whatever. Easy enough to do.

Ever the optimist, aren't you.
--
Dave Fawthrop dave hyphenologist co uk Please quote, with quote
character, previous post sniped to only the bit you are replying to.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Lobster

The Medway Handyman wrote:
Harry Bloomfield wrote:

I plan to paint the box to match the wall. I think MDF would paint up
best, not sure how waterproof it is though. Maybe if I prime it
including the edges it would work?

It shouldn't matter how waterproof it is. How will it ever get wet? And if

In the downstairs loo? Depends whether the OP has any young sons,
doesn't it!

(Reminds me of an Xmas party I was at... I was chatting to the hostess
when another guest wandered over and asked her if she had a downstairs
loo. "No, sorry - it's upstairs on the right" Catching my quizzical
expression, as the bloke left, she muttered out of the corner of her
mouth - "Well, the kids use the downstairs one")

David
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ian_m

wrote in message
oups.com...
Can anyone recommend the best sheet material for boxing in pipes in a
downstairs loo? Plywood? Hardboard? Chipboard? MDF?

I plan to paint the box to match the wall. I think MDF would paint up
best, not sure how waterproof it is though. Maybe if I prime it
including the edges it would work?

Well I replaced the crap builder boxing in my house with 18mm MDF boxing 6
years ago in all toilets and bathrooms. Primed (all sides) and painted with
kitchens and bathroom paint to match rest of room. Had no issues, joints
opening, cracks etc due to kids missing the loo, wife flooding the boxing
whilst wiping up yellow stains and even leaking loo overflow (crap in valve
meant valve didn't close) causing water to drip and puddle on boxing and
even flow underneath and appear in kids bedroom cupboard. Just make sure you
seal all surfaces with primer/sealer so that if there is an excessive
unexpected leak its not a problem.....

Posted to uk.d-i-y
John

"Ian_m" wrote in message
wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

I must be odd - I like my exposed pipes - however, they are neat and only in
our downstairs toilet.

insulation of water pipes behind the wall of a finished attic Mike Home Repair 11 April 10th 19 03:44 PM
Safety issue - gas and water pipes on top of joists! Dave Matthews UK diy 18 September 10th 05 12:14 PM
Pipes in plaster brumster UK diy 0 April 25th 05 08:44 PM
Copper Casting In America (Trevelyan) Yuri Kuchinsky Metalworking 330 July 21st 04 11:59 PM
Please help - to microbore or not...? Rebecca UK diy 17 August 21st 03 04:05 PM