Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default want a toilet cistern that fills underwater

I'm about to replace my toilet. The old cistern (Italian, expensive,
20 years old) had a little tube inside that meant it refilled
underwater, rather than pouring water into the tank as most toilets do.
**Much** quieter.

None of the toilets I've looked at recently seem to have this feature.
Do they still exist, or have they been banned by building regs etc?
Does anyone know where I can get one?

Many thanks,

Chris

Posted to uk.d-i-y
John

wrote in message
ups.com...
I'm about to replace my toilet. The old cistern (Italian, expensive,
20 years old) had a little tube inside that meant it refilled
underwater, rather than pouring water into the tank as most toilets do.
**Much** quieter.

None of the toilets I've looked at recently seem to have this feature.
Do they still exist, or have they been banned by building regs etc?
Does anyone know where I can get one?

I believe the Titanic has a few that fill underwater left over ;-)

HTH

John

Posted to uk.d-i-y
emma

erm you don't mean a torbeck valve with a polythene tube that the water
runs down from the top?. B & Q etc. have them. Or you could get a
fluidmaster valve which I have found (having developed a recent
interest in toilet valves while refurbing a bathroom) to be very quiet.
Also B & Q etc, easy to fit too..I believe they do a whisper quiet one
but I have the normal one and its pretty quiet.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
sPoNiX

On 31 Jan 2006 01:00:46 -0800, "
wrote:

I'm about to replace my toilet. The old cistern (Italian, expensive,
20 years old) had a little tube inside that meant it refilled
underwater, rather than pouring water into the tank as most toilets do.
**Much** quieter.

None of the toilets I've looked at recently seem to have this feature.
Do they still exist, or have they been banned by building regs etc?
Does anyone know where I can get one?

The problem is that the stagnant water in the cistern could
theoretically be syphoned back into the water supply.

I *think* I have seen cysterns fitted with some sort of polythene tube
that quietens the flow of water...worth asking in your local posh
cistern shop, I suppose.

sponix

Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Stumbles

On Tue, 31 Jan 2006 09:52:44 +0000, sPoNiX wrote:

On 31 Jan 2006 01:00:46 -0800, "
wrote:

I'm about to replace my toilet. The old cistern (Italian, expensive,
20 years old) had a little tube inside that meant it refilled
underwater, rather than pouring water into the tank as most toilets do.
**Much** quieter.

I *think* I have seen cysterns fitted with some sort of polythene tube
that quietens the flow of water...worth asking in your local posh
cistern shop, I suppose.

Torbecks have the polythene tube, but you can DIY with a bit of plastic
overflow pipe taped (not airtightly) to hang below the discharge spout of
a standard diaphragm valve and conduct the water quietly down into the
cistern

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Christian McArdle

I'm about to replace my toilet. The old cistern (Italian, expensive,
20 years old) had a little tube inside that meant it refilled
underwater, rather than pouring water into the tank as most toilets do.
**Much** quieter.

Yes, you can get them, no problem. You have a choice of two designs.

1. The Fluidmaster or clone. These use a tower with a float that slides up
them. They pass water much more quickly than a ball valve, so a straight
swap ends up with a system that is still noisy, but fills in about 5 or 10
seconds (assuming mains fill). You can swap this behaviour for a slower and
much quieter fill by turning down the isolator valve. Very easy to find.

2. A standard ball valve with a plastic anti-syphon tube. This appears to be
what you are already familiar with. Harder to locate, generally.

Christian.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim Gregory

wrote in message
ups.com...
I'm about to replace my toilet. The old cistern (Italian, expensive,
20 years old) had a little tube inside that meant it refilled
underwater, rather than pouring water into the tank as most toilets do.
**Much** quieter.

None of the toilets I've looked at recently seem to have this feature.
Do they still exist, or have they been banned by building regs etc?
Does anyone know where I can get one?

Many thanks,

Chris

Pretty but illegal.
Whenever some reservoir has to be filled (direct off main supply),
gravity-fed, there must be a gap, to prevent siphonage to pollute the
supply, even if incoming pressure is higher.
An exception is the bottom-filling mode of copper HW cylinder with cold, but
that is always fed off a tank. The hot water comes out of the dome. Usually,
this cylinder is always full, whatever the temp
In my cisterns, the filler spouts near the ball-cock valve have a pendant
soft-polythene tube which "cocoons" the falling water, making filling quiet
noiseless.
Jim

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Geo

On Tue, 31 Jan 2006 20:18:56 GMT, "Jim Gregory" wrote:

Whenever some reservoir has to be filled (direct off main supply),
gravity-fed, there must be a gap, to prevent siphonage to pollute the
supply, even if incoming pressure is higher.

So it depends if the cistern is fed direct from the main or from the storage
tank. Don't think the OP stated his source.

Geo

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mains fed cistern.

Looks like I should stay with my existing loo I guess.

Thanks for all the advice guys!