Posted to uk.d-i-y
The Reid

Default cistern repair/replacement

Mother in laws toilet cistern is a slimline pastic non close
coupled model with a top plunger popular 20 years ago. The parts
you can buy in the DIY sheds are not broken, but the lever that
converts the downward plunge of the plunger into an upward pull
on the siphon snapped in half. I'm assuming I wont find a spare?
but a quick tour of the DIY sheds hasnt unearthed a repacement
cistern but Google finds
www.thomasdudley.co.uk/slimline.asp

which is probably the sort of thing i'll have to get, does anyone
know a good stockist of this kind of seperate non suiite cistern
(I'm in SE LOndon BTW)?

(BTW Google "miserable failure" or "failure" for a modest
amusement)
--
Mike Reid
Walk-eat-photos UK "http://www.fellwalk.co.uk" -- you can email us@ this site
Posted to uk.d-i-y
The Reid

Following up to The Reid

(BTW Google "miserable failure" or "failure" for a modest
amusement)

seems may not work anymore, Republicans are setting counter links
to Michael Moore?

Anyway the cistern is more interesting, it needs to be 4 inches
or less deep, I'm sure I saw one in the past, cant think where.
--
Mike Reid
Walk-eat-photos UK "http://www.fellwalk.co.uk" -- you can email us@ this site
Walk-eat-photos Spain "http://www.fell-walker.co.uk" -- dontuse@ all, it's a spamtrap
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mark

The Reid wrote in message
Mother in laws toilet cistern is a slimline pastic non close
coupled model with a top plunger popular 20 years ago. The parts
you can buy in the DIY sheds are not broken, but the lever that
converts the downward plunge of the plunger into an upward pull
on the siphon snapped in half. I'm assuming I wont find a spare?

I repaired one of those last week with an identical problem.
You can get replacement bits for these in most good independent plumbers
merchants.
NOT B&Q/ Plumcenter/etc

-

Posted to uk.d-i-y
david lang

The Reid wrote:
The parts
you can buy in the DIY sheds are not broken, but the lever that
converts the downward plunge of the plunger into an upward pull
on the siphon snapped in half

This is usually a 'C' hook like these
http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Plum...ies/d20/sd2703

Item 13706 about halfway down the page.

Dave

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mark

david lang wrote in message
k...
The Reid wrote:
The parts
you can buy in the DIY sheds are not broken, but the lever that
converts the downward plunge of the plunger into an upward pull
on the siphon snapped in half

This is usually a 'C' hook like these
http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Plum...ies/d20/sd2703

Item 13706 about halfway down the page.

Dave

"non close
coupled model with a top plunger popular 20 years ago"

you've never looked inside one of these then ?

-

Posted to uk.d-i-y
The Reid

Following up to Mark

I repaired one of those last week with an identical problem.
You can get replacement bits for these in most good independent plumbers
merchants.

cheers, I'll get searching!
--
Mike Reid
Walk-eat-photos UK "http://www.fellwalk.co.uk" -- you can email us@ this site
Walk-eat-photos Spain "http://www.fell-walker.co.uk" -- dontuse@ all, it's a spamtrap
Posted to uk.d-i-y
The Reid

Following up to Mark

Item 13706 about halfway down the page.

Dave

"non close
coupled model with a top plunger popular 20 years ago"

that sounds a good description, the broken part is not the C
hook, is a rocker lever that converts the downward force of the
plunger into an upward force on the c hook. (plastic or nylon)

you've never looked inside one of these then ?

do keen DIYers open up and cistern when they pay a visit? :-)
--
Mike Reid
Walk-eat-photos UK "http://www.fellwalk.co.uk" -- you can email us@ this site
Walk-eat-photos Spain "http://www.fell-walker.co.uk" -- dontuse@ all, it's a spamtrap
Posted to uk.d-i-y
david lang

Mark wrote:

"non close
coupled model with a top plunger popular 20 years ago"

you've never looked inside one of these then ?

I have, its just that I can't read properly :-)

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y
sPoNiX

On Mon, 30 Jan 2006 16:49:00 GMT, "Mark" wrote:

The Reid wrote in message
.. .
Mother in laws toilet cistern is a slimline pastic non close
coupled model with a top plunger popular 20 years ago. The parts
you can buy in the DIY sheds are not broken, but the lever that
converts the downward plunge of the plunger into an upward pull
on the siphon snapped in half. I'm assuming I wont find a spare?

I repaired one of those last week with an identical problem.
You can get replacement bits for these in most good independent plumbers
merchants.
NOT B&Q/ Plumcenter/etc

had the same proba few years ago. I think the rocker arm goes brittle
with age.

Ended up replacing the cistern in the end

sponix
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mark

The Reid wrote in message
Following up to Mark

I repaired one of those last week with an identical problem.
You can get replacement bits for these in most good independent plumbers
merchants.

cheers, I'll get searching!

Incidentally, if you cant get just the arm, [1]
you should be able to buy a complete replacement siphon which comes complete
with a new push button,
which would still be a lot cheaper and easier then replacing the complete
cistern.

[1] good old fashioned plumbers merchants seem to be disappearing at an
alarming rate, the one I use was probably stocked by Mr Thomas Crapper
himself , so many people now use the like of B&Q
for building sundries that the independent merchants are turning into posh
Bathroom centres that don't keep any spare parts and seem to be staffed by
reject clueless ****s from the I.T. industry.
/rant over

-

Posted to uk.d-i-y
The Reid

Following up to The Reid

I repaired one of those last week with an identical problem.
You can get replacement bits for these in most good independent plumbers
merchants.

cheers, I'll get searching!

found a proper plumbers merchant and they had a little kit of
spares, £8, job done!
--
Mike Reid
Walk-eat-photos UK "http://www.fellwalk.co.uk" -- you can email us@ this site
Walk-eat-photos Spain "http://www.fell-walker.co.uk" -- dontuse@ all, it's a spamtrap
Posted to uk.d-i-y
The Reid

Following up to Mark

[1] good old fashioned plumbers merchants seem to be disappearing at an
alarming rate, the one I use was probably stocked by Mr Thomas Crapper
himself , so many people now use the like of B&Q
for building sundries that the independent merchants are turning into posh
Bathroom centres that don't keep any spare parts and seem to be staffed by
reject clueless ****s from the I.T. industry.

I have found a good electrical shop and now a good plumber, I
intend to use both for all purchases, not just the difficult
stuff, don't give Homebase your money!

maybe we should have a FAQ of good merchants?
--
Mike Reid
Walk-eat-photos UK "http://www.fellwalk.co.uk" -- you can email us@ this site
Walk-eat-photos Spain "http://www.fell-walker.co.uk" -- dontuse@ all, it's a spamtrap
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mark

The Reid wrote in message
Following up to The Reid

I repaired one of those last week with an identical problem.
You can get replacement bits for these in most good independent plumbers
merchants.

cheers, I'll get searching!

found a proper plumbers merchant and they had a little kit of
spares, £8, job done!

good
not only have you had the satisfaction of repairing something, but you have
done your bit to reduce landfill and global warming. :-)

-

Close Coupled Toilet Cistern Keith Abbott UK diy 0 March 16th 05 07:44 PM
Toilet cistern syphon/overflow mackem UK diy 6 October 14th 04 03:33 PM
High level cistern flush too powerful steve UK diy 3 February 28th 04 04:28 PM
Cistern drip Ad UK diy 8 November 30th 03 12:20 AM
Water cistern PoP UK diy 6 October 3rd 03 11:56 PM