Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rick

Default Outsize Door Lock

I think I have made a bit of a screw up. I have just finished making a
door for my place, and like most stuff I make it is bigger and
stronger than anthing else.

I have made a castle door, oak plans, rosehead iron nails, specially
forged hinges, that sort of thing. The problem is that the rebate on
the frame is 50mm, so any standard lock, would have the key right up
hard against the frame.

So I need a lock, preferably a euro lock, where the key is 100mm or
more in from the side, any ideas ?

I can think of a number of ways round the problem, but I'd rather just
buy a big jobbie lock.

Thanks
Rick

Posted to uk.d-i-y
R obbo

"Rick" wrote in message

I think I have made a bit of a screw up. I have just finished making a
door for my place, and like most stuff I make it is bigger and
stronger than anthing else.

I have made a castle door, oak plans, rosehead iron nails, specially
forged hinges, that sort of thing. The problem is that the rebate on
the frame is 50mm, so any standard lock, would have the key right up
hard against the frame.

So I need a lock, preferably a euro lock, where the key is 100mm or
more in from the side, any ideas ?

I can think of a number of ways round the problem, but I'd rather just
buy a big jobbie lock.

Try this lot

http://www.coxsarchitectural.co.uk/locks.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Steve Walker

Rick wrote:
I think I have made a bit of a screw up. I have just finished
making a door for my place, and like most stuff I make it is
bigger and stronger than anthing else.

I have made a castle door, oak plans, rosehead iron nails,
specially forged hinges, that sort of thing. The problem is that
the rebate on the frame is 50mm, so any standard lock, would have
the key right up hard against the frame.

So I need a lock, preferably a euro lock, where the key is 100mm
or more in from the side, any ideas ?

I can think of a number of ways round the problem, but I'd rather
just buy a big jobbie lock.

An electromagnetic lock & keypad entry switch would make a witty
architectural counterpoint to your studded castle door.... )

Posted to uk.d-i-y
mrcheerful

"Rick" wrote in message

I think I have made a bit of a screw up. I have just finished making a
door for my place, and like most stuff I make it is bigger and
stronger than anthing else.

I have made a castle door, oak plans, rosehead iron nails, specially
forged hinges, that sort of thing. The problem is that the rebate on
the frame is 50mm, so any standard lock, would have the key right up
hard against the frame.

So I need a lock, preferably a euro lock, where the key is 100mm or
more in from the side, any ideas ?

I can think of a number of ways round the problem, but I'd rather just
buy a big jobbie lock.

Thanks
Rick

Fit the lock in the fixed bit, not the door.

mrcheerful

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rick

On Sun, 29 Jan 2006 20:34:47 -0000, "Steve Walker"
wrote:

Rick wrote:
I think I have made a bit of a screw up. I have just finished
making a door for my place, and like most stuff I make it is
bigger and stronger than anthing else.

I have made a castle door, oak plans, rosehead iron nails,
specially forged hinges, that sort of thing. The problem is that
the rebate on the frame is 50mm, so any standard lock, would have
the key right up hard against the frame.

So I need a lock, preferably a euro lock, where the key is 100mm
or more in from the side, any ideas ?

I can think of a number of ways round the problem, but I'd rather
just buy a big jobbie lock.

An electromagnetic lock & keypad entry switch would make a witty
architectural counterpoint to your studded castle door.... )

I quite fancy that. I wanted a keypad lock anyway, so when we are out
on the farm, we can lock the door, and not loose the keys. I could set
the keypad into the stone wall, and then just have old fashioned black
ironmongery on the door. It would work well I think. A door handle
would miss the "castle" look.

Thanks for the idea.

I have hunted the web some more, CISA seem to have something that will
work, they are itallian, and the critical word to descibe the size has
lost its meaning in the translation. Union/Chub/EPA have nothing
suitable.

Rick

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Weatherlawyer

R obbo wrote:
"Rick" wrote in message

The problem is that the rebate on the frame is 50mm, so any standard lock, would have
the key right up hard against the frame. So I need a lock, preferably a euro lock, where
the key is 100mm or more in from the side? I can think of a number of ways round the
problem, but I'd rather just buy a big jobbie lock.

Try this lot
http://www.coxsarchitectural.co.uk/loc ks.htm

He'd be better looking directly at Assa/Chub's site:
http://www.assalock.com/products.htm

Also to go and have a look at some of the banks in his locale.

Of course he could fit a meaty home made or fake finished "Back Lock"
there is no reason that is can't be a five lever back lock. If he can't
find one he can have a locksmith convert a 2 or 3 lever one. Then all
he'd want is a fake castle lock. Like they all used to have in the days
when ravens brought the keys to the heroes.

Much more reliable than a couple of sentries -who are always beguiled
by evil chantresses in those situations. (Either that or fed sleeping
draught's by some Machiavellian's lackey.)

Funny how no matter how often it happens, the heroine's father never
seems to think of that. If I didn't know better I'd say it was
unintelligent design. Bloody stupid sentries. No matter how cheap they
are, they must cost an hell of a lot more than a lock and key and a
couple of ravens.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
DJC

Rick wrote:

I have hunted the web some more, CISA seem to have something that will
work, they are itallian, and the critical word to descibe the size has
lost its meaning in the translation. Union/Chub/EPA have nothing
suitable.

I have a CISA here, what size details do you need to know?

--
David Clark

$message_body_include ="PLES RING IF AN RNSR IS REQIRD"
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Steve Walker

wrote:

Rick wrote:
[...]

Try screwfix 19768, 27496 or 68309 - sounds like great fun!