Posted to uk.d-i-y
Sandi

Default How read "red digits" on gas meter

How do I read my gas meter's red digits?

I have a gas meter which is a bit like this one:
http://tinyurl.com/9yxuj

However on my meter the red digits look different. After the white
digits, I have go this:

(a) one red digit

(b) a zero printed on the meter

(c) a dial (like a clock face) with an arm which goes round
clockwise. The dial says 0.5 at 6 o'clock and 1.0 at 12 o'clock.

How do I read these red digits?

I can not find the link between the arm rotations and the final white

Posted to uk.d-i-y
john

"Sandi" wrote in message
How do I read my gas meter's red digits?

I have a gas meter which is a bit like this one:
http://tinyurl.com/9yxuj

Are you serious? If you have a card that you need to fill in and send back
there will be a phone number. They might think you're winding them up !

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mark

Sandi wrote in message
How do I read my gas meter's red digits?

I have a gas meter which is a bit like this one:
http://tinyurl.com/9yxuj

For supplying a meter reading you don't...
Only read 6 digits from _Left_ to right

Hmmm
if you are female you my need a male to first point out which is which ;-(

-

Posted to uk.d-i-y
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Sandi wrote:
How do I read my gas meter's red digits?

I have a gas meter which is a bit like this one:
http://tinyurl.com/9yxuj

However on my meter the red digits look different. After the white
digits, I have go this:

(a) one red digit

(b) a zero printed on the meter

(c) a dial (like a clock face) with an arm which goes round
clockwise. The dial says 0.5 at 6 o'clock and 1.0 at 12 o'clock.

How do I read these red digits?

I can not find the link between the arm rotations and the final white

Any fink like this?

http://tinyurl.com/ayxb5

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Harry Bloomfield

The3rd Earl Of Derby used his keyboard to write :
Sandi wrote:
How do I read my gas meter's red digits?

I have a gas meter which is a bit like this one:
http://tinyurl.com/9yxuj

However on my meter the red digits look different. After the white
digits, I have go this:

(a) one red digit

(b) a zero printed on the meter

(c) a dial (like a clock face) with an arm which goes round
clockwise. The dial says 0.5 at 6 o'clock and 1.0 at 12 o'clock.

How do I read these red digits?

I can not find the link between the arm rotations and the final white

Any fink like this?

http://tinyurl.com/ayxb5

I don't think anything like that, it is a mechanical digital gas
meter...

The black with white digits are the whole number. Between those and the
red digits there will probably be a decimal point marked on the meter.
So you write those down thus:- WWWWWWW.RR

The dial with arm is for test/diagnostic purposes. However sometimes an
extra dummy digit needs to be inserted between the right most red digit
and sometimes not. The need for a dummy number to be inserted will be
indicated by a painted on '0'.

An arrow indicates the direction of rotation of the dial. The dial
reads from 0 to 1, 0 and 1 being co-located at the top of the dial with
a 0.5 at the bottom and eight intermediate markers - the value of which
have to be worked out.

Lacking the painted on '0', ten rotations of the arm will cause the
right most red digit to increment by 1. With the painted on '0' the arm
will rotate one hundred times before the red digit increments by one.

--

Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Alex

Mark wrote:
For supplying a meter reading you don't...
Only read 6 digits from _Left_ to right

Six? My card asks for 5 digits

alex
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mark

Alex wrote in message
Mark wrote:
For supplying a meter reading you don't...
Only read 6 digits from _Left_ to right

Six? My card asks for 5 digits

alex

so what !
you can get gas meters with only 4 digits, but judging from the picture the
OP posted this is not relevant.

-

Posted to uk.d-i-y
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Sandi wrote:
How do I read my gas meter's red digits?

I have a gas meter which is a bit like this one:
http://tinyurl.com/9yxuj

However on my meter the red digits look different. After the white
digits, I have go this:

(a) one red digit

(b) a zero printed on the meter

(c) a dial (like a clock face) with an arm which goes round
clockwise. The dial says 0.5 at 6 o'clock and 1.0 at 12 o'clock.

How do I read these red digits?

I can not find the link between the arm rotations and the final
white

Any fink like this?

http://tinyurl.com/ayxb5

I don't think anything like that, it is a mechanical digital gas
meter...

Did they say it was "digital"?

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Sandi

On 28 Jan 2006, The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:

Sandi wrote:
How do I read my gas meter's red digits?

I have a gas meter which is a bit like this one:
http://tinyurl.com/9yxuj

However on my meter the red digits look different. After the
white digits, I have go this:

(a) one red digit

(b) a zero printed on the meter

(c) a dial (like a clock face) with an arm which goes round
clockwise. The dial says 0.5 at 6 o'clock and 1.0 at 12
o'clock.

How do I read these red digits?

I can not find the link between the arm rotations and the final
white

Any fink like this?

http://tinyurl.com/ayxb5

No sorry that's not like mine.

Apart from the last two digits mine is more like this.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Sandi

On 28 Jan 2006, john wrote:

"Sandi" wrote in message
How do I read my gas meter's red digits?

I have a gas meter which is a bit like this one:
http://tinyurl.com/9yxuj

Are you serious? If you have a card that you need to fill in
and send back there will be a phone number. They might think
you're winding them up !

If I get a card left by British Gas then all that is needed is to
copy down what the gas meter display shows.

OTOH what I want is an accurate reading from the meter in order to
track my gas usage.

The meter is made by Parkinson Cowan. It is halfway between these two
http://tinyurl.com/dqpo3
http://tinyurl.com/9yxuj

It is a bit like the very last meter at the bootom of
http://tinyurl.com/8hyo9 but with the second 9 changed for a fixed
zero.

Have another read of my original posting to see what I mean ...

--------------- ORIGINAL POSTING ------------------
I have a gas meter which is a bit like this one:
http://tinyurl.com/9yxuj

However on my meter the red digits look different. After the white
digits, I have go this:

(a) one red digit
(b) a zero printed on the meter
(c) a dial (like a clock face) with an arm which goes round
clockwise. The dial says 0.5 at 6 o'clock and 1.0 at 12 o'clock.

How do I read these red digits?

I can not find the link between the arm rotations and the final white
dial.
------------- END ORIGINAL POSTING ------------

The main problem is that some of the digits behind the decimal point
don't seem to be all there.

The printed zero is the weird thing on the display because it almost
suggests that the clockface dial has to do 100 revolutions for the
previous red digit to advance!

Posted to uk.d-i-y
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Sandi wrote:
How do I read my gas meter's red digits?

Hello Sandi like most repliers have said, you don't need to read the red
digits as they are not required.

If you where to send the gas supplier a reading they would not bother about
the red end digit numbers its the first six digits that count.
--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Suz

if you are female you my need a male to first point out which is which ;-(

I'm sure that made sense in your head.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ed Sirett

On Sat, 28 Jan 2006 11:44:32 +0000, Alex wrote:

Mark wrote:
For supplying a meter reading you don't...
Only read 6 digits from _Left_ to right

Six? My card asks for 5 digits

AFAIK gas meters have either 4 or 5 digits before the ".". These are the
cubic metres for the gas bill reading.

Use of the pointer is outlined in the GAs Fitting FAQ below.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ed Sirett

On Sat, 28 Jan 2006 18:27:42 +0000, Sandi wrote:

The meter is made by Parkinson Cowan. It is halfway between these two
http://tinyurl.com/dqpo3

A very old gas meter that reads in cubic feet (in both the dial and digits).

http://tinyurl.com/9yxuj

The is a COMMERCIAL sized R5 gas meter.
The six digits in front the '.' are cu metres.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mark

news

Mark wrote:
For supplying a meter reading you don't...
Only read 6 digits from _Left_ to right

Six? My card asks for 5 digits

AFAIK gas meters have either 4 or 5 digits before the ".". These are the
cubic metres for the gas bill reading.

yes I don't have gas at home,
and was basing the "6" on a factory unit that I regularly have to read
and fitted with an R5 the same as the OP posted a link to.

-

Cheapest decent analog meter? [email protected] Electronics Repair 32 January 15th 06 09:59 PM
Is my gas meter electronic? [email protected] UK diy 12 January 14th 06 11:47 AM
Capacitance Meter Recommendation John Bachman Electronics Repair 10 June 27th 05 11:47 AM
Gas meter regulations Chris UK diy 11 April 20th 05 05:49 PM
Meter reader clocked me! BigWallop UK diy 3 July 23rd 03 09:58 AM