DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   any canvas sheets buyable in london?! (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/141812-any-canvas-sheets-buyable-london.html)

[email protected] January 24th 06 11:27 PM

any canvas sheets buyable in london?!

I know this is as lame a DIY question as you can get..
but I want to make a punchbag. I've been advised to staple canvas
sheets together and fill them with sand. Apparently this is softer on
the bare hands than a regular punchbag , and good for strengthening the
hands.

Problem is.
Where can I buy canvas sheets?!

I'm in london

thanks!

The3rd Earl Of Derby January 25th 06 12:01 AM

wrote:
I know this is as lame a DIY question as you can get..
but I want to make a punchbag. I've been advised to staple canvas
sheets together and fill them with sand. Apparently this is softer on
the bare hands than a regular punchbag , and good for strengthening
the hands.

Problem is.
Where can I buy canvas sheets?!

Google's your friend.
http://www.readymadecanvas.com/

I'm in london

Thats nice.

thanks!

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

raden January 25th 06 12:07 AM

any canvas sheets buyable in london?!

In message .com,
writes
I know this is as lame a DIY question as you can get..
but I want to make a punchbag. I've been advised to staple canvas
sheets together and fill them with sand. Apparently this is softer on
the bare hands than a regular punchbag , and good for strengthening the
hands.

Problem is.
Where can I buy canvas sheets?!

I really wouldn't bother - it'll last maybe half an hour using your
construction method (unless you want to just hit it with a feather)

Just go and buy a cheap (£30 ) one from Argos

--
geoff

The3rd Earl Of Derby January 25th 06 12:10 AM

any canvas sheets buyable in london?!

The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:

Rather expensive that last site.

Heavy duty canvas sheet and you can double the thickness.
http://www.decoratingdirect.co.uk/Pl...eets_and_Floor
_Protection/--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Andy Dingley January 25th 06 12:57 AM

On 24 Jan 2006 15:27:41 -0800, wrote:

Where can I buy canvas sheets?!

Anywhere that makes or sells big tents and marquees. The canvas is easy
- you also need them to sew it up for you. They can put hanging eyelets
in the top while they're about it.

Staples won't last 5 minutes. A punchbag-sized sack of sand is also
going to put a serious load on your ceiling - you wouldn't be the first
person to pull a bag through a ceiling, unless you do it right (usually
better to tie around a joist, rather than to try and screw into one).

[email protected] January 25th 06 03:17 AM

The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:
The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:

Rather expensive that last site.

Heavy duty canvas sheet and you can double the thickness.
http://www.decoratingdirect.co.uk/Pl...eets_and_Floor
_Protection/--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

thanks, I will follow that one up

T i m January 25th 06 07:58 AM

any canvas sheets buyable in london?!

On Wed, 25 Jan 2006 00:07:49 GMT, raden wrote:

In message .com,
writes
I know this is as lame a DIY question as you can get..
but I want to make a punchbag. I've been advised to staple canvas
sheets together and fill them with sand. Apparently this is softer on
the bare hands than a regular punchbag , and good for strengthening the
hands.

Problem is.
Where can I buy canvas sheets?!

I really wouldn't bother - it'll last maybe half an hour using your
construction method (unless you want to just hit it with a feather)

Just go and buy a cheap (£30 ) one from Argos

A mate gave me one of the 24" popular brand ones recently for my
daughter and her Tai Quan Do and I was interested to see what it was
full of.

Disposable nappies (new)!

When packed down these things felt pretty solid and I would imagine
had it been filled with sand:

1) I wouldn't have been able to lift it (as easily as the nappies).

2) You may as well been puching a building block (but that may be what
you need for building bone / whatever)?

If you go the sand route there are often quite a few 'professionally'
made bags available on ebay (cheap if you can collect) and a small one
filled with sand may be a better d-i-y solution than starting from
scratch?

All the best ..

T i m

Rob Morley January 25th 06 03:25 PM

any canvas sheets buyable in london?!

In article .com
wrote:
I know this is as lame a DIY question as you can get..
but I want to make a punchbag. I've been advised to staple canvas
sheets together and fill them with sand. Apparently this is softer on
the bare hands than a regular punchbag , and good for strengthening the
hands.

Army kit bags used to be a popular solution for this- you can pick them
up on eBay but a surplus store might be a better bet.