Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave W

Default CH heating programmer

Im looking for a 24h CH heating timer programmer, that has separate water
and heating timer settings.
To be specific I want the water only to come on at a set time in the
morning, and then the heating only to come on at a set time in the evening.
CH is a Y plan.
Cant seem to find one that will do this.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Nigel Molesworth

On Sun, 22 Jan 2006 12:54:29 GMT, Dave W wrote:

To be specific I want the water only to come on at a set time in the
morning, and then the heating only to come on at a set time in the evening.

They nearly all do this, so long as they have "independent" mode:

http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?id=11225&ts=40410

--
Nigel M
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave W

On Sun, 22 Jan 2006 14:34:24 +0000, Nigel Molesworth wrote:

On Sun, 22 Jan 2006 12:54:29 GMT, Dave W wrote:

To be specific I want the water only to come on at a set time in the
morning, and then the heating only to come on at a set time in the evening.

They nearly all do this, so long as they have "independent" mode:

http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?id=11225&ts=40410

Thanks
two channel is the term I should have been looking for
Do you know if these come with a decent wiring diagram?
I will be replacing a Honeywall st772 timer
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Set Square

Dave W wrote:

Im looking for a 24h CH heating timer programmer, that has separate
water and heating timer settings.
To be specific I want the water only to come on at a set time in the
morning, and then the heating only to come on at a set time in the
evening. CH is a Y plan.
Cant seem to find one that will do this.

One way of achieving what you want to do is to use a programmable thermostat
on the heating side. Then set set your original timer with HW on 'Timed' and
CH on 'Constant'. The *actual* timing for the heating is done by the
programmable stat - and can be completely different from the HW times. It
also means that you can have different room temperatures at different times
of the day should you so wish.
--
Cheers,
Set Square

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Christian McArdle

To be specific I want the water only to come on at a set time in the
morning, and then the heating only to come on at a set time in the

evening.
CH is a Y plan.
Cant seem to find one that will do this.

I haven't seen a new programmer not capable of this in the last 20 years,
apart from the mechanical ones.

Christian.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Set Square

Christian McArdle wrote:

To be specific I want the water only to come on at a set time in the
morning, and then the heating only to come on at a set time in the
evening. CH is a Y plan.
Cant seem to find one that will do this.

I haven't seen a new programmer not capable of this in the last 20
years, apart from the mechanical ones.

Christian.

Are you *sure*? Most programmers I have come across have only got *one*
timer. Whilst they provide independent *control* for HW and CH - such that
each can be either Off, Timed, or On constantly - if both are set to Timed,
they both come on at the *same* time. The OP wants one with independent
*timers* for HW and CH.
--
Cheers,
Set Square

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Christian McArdle

I haven't seen a new programmer not capable of this in the last 20
years, apart from the mechanical ones.

Are you *sure*? Most programmers I have come across have only got *one*
timer. Whilst they provide independent *control* for HW and CH - such that
each can be either Off, Timed, or On constantly - if both are set to

Timed,
they both come on at the *same* time. The OP wants one with independent
*timers* for HW and CH.

I don't doubt that such timers exist. I just haven't seen one on my travels.

Christian.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/01/2006 10:05 Set Square wrote:

Whilst they provide independent *control* for HW and CH - such that
each can be either Off, Timed, or On constantly - if both are set to Timed,
they both come on at the *same* time. The OP wants one with independent
*timers* for HW and CH.

The Horstmann CentaurPlus C27 will do what the OP wants. You can set
separate times for CH and HW.

Pity I can't get it to work as a replacement for my Landis & Gyr RWB2 -
see the 'Horstmann CentaurPlus C27 replacement for Landis & Gyr RWB2:
wiring problem' thread below if you can help.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Steve S

"Christian McArdle" wrote in message
I haven't seen a new programmer not capable of this in the last 20
years, apart from the mechanical ones.

Are you *sure*? Most programmers I have come across have only got *one*
timer. Whilst they provide independent *control* for HW and CH - such
that
each can be either Off, Timed, or On constantly - if both are set to

Timed,
they both come on at the *same* time. The OP wants one with independent
*timers* for HW and CH.

I don't doubt that such timers exist. I just haven't seen one on my
travels.

Christian.

I have had one of these for 3 or 4 years:
http://www.thermsaver.co.uk/heating_controls/qe2.html

It has separate and fully independent time programs for DHW and CH. It also
come with helpful wiring diagrams for different setups.

HTH,
Steve S

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Nigel Molesworth

On Mon, 23 Jan 2006 10:05:28 -0000, Set Square wrote:

The OP wants one with independent *timers* for HW and CH.

I haven't fully researched this, but every timer I considered was able
to control the HW and CH independently, but are often shipped with
them locked together for those whose system requires the HW to be on
for the CH to work.
--
Nigel M

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Set Square

Nigel Molesworth wrote:

On Mon, 23 Jan 2006 10:05:28 -0000, Set Square wrote:

The OP wants one with independent *timers* for HW and CH.

I haven't fully researched this, but every timer I considered was able
to control the HW and CH independently, but are often shipped with
them locked together for those whose system requires the HW to be on
for the CH to work.

But there's a world of difference between *switching* independently and
*timing* independently!

Locking together only really applies to gravity HW systems, thus ensuring
that the boiler fires when you select just CH. But even when not locked
together, most programmers don't provide independent timing programmes for
CH and HW. A few do, as has been reported here, but it's not too common.
--
Cheers,
Set Square

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Steve S

"Set Square" wrote :

But there's a world of difference between *switching* independently and
*timing* independently!

Locking together only really applies to gravity HW systems, thus ensuring
that the boiler fires when you select just CH. But even when not locked
together, most programmers don't provide independent timing programmes for
CH and HW. A few do, as has been reported here, but it's not too common.

The Grasslin TOWERCHRON QE1/QE2 I mentioned earlier can be set up for
either gravity of fully pumped and, as I said, offers fully independent
timing.

Steve S

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave W

Christian McArdle wrote:

[...]

Thanks Set square
I was really looking for a 24H timer to achieve this, as due to my work
shift patterns I have to reprogram the timer settings every 4 days.
so that I have hot water to shower when I get up,
im not in the house long enough at the getting up time to warrant running
the CH.
and a warm house to come home to.
As you correctly say there are lots of programmers such as
http://www.discountedheating.co.uk/s...mers_1105.html
which control the water and CH but NOT independently.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave W

On Mon, 23 Jan 2006 11:13:07 GMT, Steve S wrote:

[...]

Thanks that one looks the job, as it will also programme in 24H mode.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Bob Eager

On Mon, 23 Jan 2006 17:03:49 UTC, Dave W
wrote:

Are you *sure*? Most programmers I have come across have only got *one*
timer. Whilst they provide independent *control* for HW and CH - such that
each can be either Off, Timed, or On constantly - if both are set to Timed,
they both come on at the *same* time. The OP wants one with independent
*timers* for HW and CH.

Thanks Set square
I was really looking for a 24H timer to achieve this, as due to my work
shift patterns I have to reprogram the timer settings every 4 days.
so that I have hot water to shower when I get up,

As you correctly say there are lots of programmers...
which control the water and CH but NOT independently.

I fitted a Honeywell ST6400C....does just that. Here's the user
manual...

http://content.honeywell.com/uk/home...T6400Cuser.pdf

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Nigel Molesworth

On Mon, 23 Jan 2006 14:13:23 -0000, Set Square wrote:

But there's a world of difference between *switching* independently and
*timing* independently!

Please explain?

--
Nigel M
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Nigel Molesworth

On Mon, 23 Jan 2006 17:03:49 GMT, Dave W wrote:

As you correctly say there are lots of programmers such as
http://www.discountedheating.co.uk/s...mers_1105.html
which control the water and CH but NOT independently.

That's because they are single channel!

--
Nigel M
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Set Square

Nigel Molesworth wrote:

On Mon, 23 Jan 2006 14:13:23 -0000, Set Square wrote:

But there's a world of difference between *switching* independently
and *timing* independently!

Please explain?

What I mean is this. If they've only got one timer, you can still have
independent control of CH and HW to the extent that you can have (say) HW
Timed and CH Off, or HW on continuously and CH Timed (or any other
combination of Off/Timed/Continuous.

What you *can't* have is CH and HW *both* timed but coming on at *different*
times from each other. For that, you need the programmer to have *two*
independent timers - as indeed some - but by no means all - do.
--
Cheers,
Set Square

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Nigel Molesworth

On Mon, 23 Jan 2006 19:14:57 -0000, Set Square wrote:

If they've only got one timer ...

Then you *obviously* can't do what the OP wanted.

--
Nigel M
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave W

On Mon, 23 Jan 2006 17:43:15 +0000, Nigel Molesworth wrote:

On Mon, 23 Jan 2006 17:03:49 GMT, Dave W wrote:

As you correctly say there are lots of programmers such as
http://www.discountedheating.co.uk/s...mers_1105.html
which control the water and CH but NOT independently.

That's because they are single channel!

Which is why I replied to you earlier
"Thanks
two channel is the term I should have been looking for"

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Nigel Molesworth

On Tue, 24 Jan 2006 00:28:29 GMT, Dave W wrote:

Which is why I replied to you earlier
"Thanks two channel is the term I should have been looking for"

Indeed.

--
Nigel M
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Set Square

Nigel Molesworth wrote:

On Mon, 23 Jan 2006 19:14:57 -0000, Set Square wrote:

If they've only got one timer ...

Then you *obviously* can't do what the OP wanted.

I *know* that - which is why I was warning the OP that simply having
*independent* control of CH and HW wasn't enough! Some of the earlier
replies implied that *any* programmer which had separate switches for CH and
HW would do - which is untrue.
--
Cheers,
Set Square

Posted to uk.d-i-y
The Natural Philosopher

Christian McArdle wrote:

To be specific I want the water only to come on at a set time in the
morning, and then the heating only to come on at a set time in the
evening. CH is a Y plan.
Cant seem to find one that will do this.

I haven't seen a new programmer not capable of this in the last 20
years, apart from the mechanical ones.

Christian.

Are you *sure*? Most programmers I have come across have only got *one*
timer. Whilst they provide independent *control* for HW and CH - such that
each can be either Off, Timed, or On constantly - if both are set to Timed,
they both come on at the *same* time. The OP wants one with independent
*timers* for HW and CH.

dunno. I have *three independent* settings for up to *THREE on/off periods
per day EACH plus one hour override or 'advance to go ' settings on all
THREE channels. Or disable any or all channels.

Honeywell I think.

Never missed a beat it hasn't.
Unlike the MV it drives...
Posted to uk.d-i-y
The Natural Philosopher

wrote:

Are you *sure*? Most programmers I have come across have only got *one*
timer. Whilst they provide independent *control* for HW and CH - such that
each can be either Off, Timed, or On constantly - if both are set to Timed,
they both come on at the *same* time. The OP wants one with independent
*timers* for HW and CH.

Thanks Set square
I was really looking for a 24H timer to achieve this, as due to my work
shift patterns I have to reprogram the timer settings every 4 days.
so that I have hot water to shower when I get up,

As you correctly say there are lots of programmers...
which control the water and CH but NOT independently.

I fitted a Honeywell ST6400C....does just that. Here's the user
manual...

http://content.honeywell.com/uk/home...T6400Cuser.pdf

My Honeywell allows each day of the week to have different timings as well.
On all three channels.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Bob Eager

On Wed, 25 Jan 2006 18:30:55 UTC, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

I was really looking for a 24H timer to achieve this, as due to my work
shift patterns I have to reprogram the timer settings every 4 days.
so that I have hot water to shower when I get up,

As you correctly say there are lots of programmers...
which control the water and CH but NOT independently.

I fitted a Honeywell ST6400C....does just that. Here's the user
manual...

http://content.honeywell.com/uk/home...T6400Cuser.pdf

My Honeywell allows each day of the week to have different timings as well.

I took that as a given. Of course, it does that too.