Posted to uk.d-i-y
Stuart A

Default Letter Tiles

Does anyone know where sells tiles for making a house name or sign -
lettter by letter ? They are normally about 3 x 2 ins and have a
decorative border. Many houses seem to have them , but not know the
origin. All my enquiries in West Dorset fail.

On enquiring on another group I was told B&Q stocked them - not round
here at least! Any other ideas please.

Many thanks in advance,

Stuart Allison

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Cuprager

Stuart A wrote:
Does anyone know where sells tiles for making a house name or sign -
lettter by letter ? They are normally about 3 x 2 ins and have a
decorative border. Many houses seem to have them , but not know the
origin. All my enquiries in West Dorset fail.

On enquiring on another group I was told B&Q stocked them - not round
here at least! Any other ideas please.

Many thanks in advance,

Stuart Allison

My in-laws brought theirs back from Spain. Maybe a good excuse for
another holiday?? )
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Nigel Molesworth

On 18 Jan 2006 16:27:25 -0800, Stuart A wrote:

Does anyone know where sells tiles for making a house name or sign

They are now illegal under the 2001 Bad Taste Act.

--
Nigel M
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Nigel Molesworth

On Thu, 19 Jan 2006 14:48:57 -0000, Ziggur wrote:

As is your response to the OP's perfectly reasonable query.

Want to vote?

--
Nigel M

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Nigel Molesworth wrote:
Does anyone know where sells tiles for making a house name or sign

They are now illegal under the 2001 Bad Taste Act.

They might be, but making a house number visible seems to be a dying art.
At one time it would be large characters as part of a window above the
door. As would a house name, if it had one. Now most seem to be ashamed of
others being able to find their house easily. Especially postmen.

--
*Windows will never cease *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Frank Erskine

On Fri, 20 Jan 2006 00:05:44 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
Nigel Molesworth wrote:
Does anyone know where sells tiles for making a house name or sign

They are now illegal under the 2001 Bad Taste Act.

They might be, but making a house number visible seems to be a dying art.
At one time it would be large characters as part of a window above the
door. As would a house name, if it had one. Now most seem to be ashamed of
others being able to find their house easily. Especially postmen.

I believe it's actually illegal to not have your house number or name
displayed at your door.

--
Frank Erskine
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Nigel Molesworth

On Fri, 20 Jan 2006 09:44:31 +0000 (UTC), Frank Erskine wrote:

I believe it's actually illegal to not have your house number or name
displayed at your door.

It would be a bit pointless where I live, you can't see the houses
from the road.

--
Nigel M
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Stuart A

About the response I'd expect from someone using the soubriquet of a
1950s school boy. Any more useful responses welcome.

Regards to all
Stuart Allison

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Nigel Molesworth

On Sat, 21 Jan 2006 01:07:33 -0000, Ziggur wrote:

Are you 5'2", with thinning hair, a goatee beard, and
leather patches on the elbows of your jacket?

No, but why do you ask, is this your type?

Mordez-moi!

--
Nigel M
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Nigel Molesworth

On 20 Jan 2006 15:20:18 -0800, Stuart A wrote:

About the response I'd expect from someone using the soubriquet of a
1950s school boy.

What's the matter with this group ATM, it seems to be turning into
uk.d-i-y.no-sense-of-humour.

In an attempt to be helpful (and with a possibly more tasteful
solution) have you considered transfers?

Talking of bad taste, have a look at this Xmas decoration, isn't it
the worst thing you have ever seen?

http://www.webhost-online.co.uk/molesworth/yuk.jpg

--
Nigel M
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rob Morley

In article
Nigel Molesworth wrote:
On 20 Jan 2006 15:20:18 -0800, Stuart A wrote:

About the response I'd expect from someone using the soubriquet of a
1950s school boy.

What's the matter with this group ATM, it seems to be turning into
uk.d-i-y.no-sense-of-humour.

In an attempt to be helpful (and with a possibly more tasteful
solution) have you considered transfers?

What's your problem with number tiles? Are you thinking of something
different than everyone else?
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Nigel Molesworth

On Mon, 23 Jan 2006 18:35:27 -0000, Rob Morley wrote:

What's your problem with number tiles?

I have no problem with *number* tiles, but letter tiles are naff.

Apart from being tacky, they are not PS and they don't kern; you may
as well type the house name on an old typewriter and enlarge it with a
photocopier. Tell you what, why not go to the local garage and see if
they can make up the name on a number plate.

--
Nigel M
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rob Morley

In article
Nigel Molesworth wrote:
On Mon, 23 Jan 2006 18:35:27 -0000, Rob Morley wrote:

What's your problem with number tiles?

I have no problem with *number* tiles, but letter tiles are naff.

I must admit I've never seen any, or at least not noticed them.

Apart from being tacky, they are not PS and they don't kern; you may
as well type the house name on an old typewriter and enlarge it with a
photocopier.

I don't see why they can't be proportional, although obviously kerning
would be a problem. I did rather wonder why the OP doesn't just have a
ceramic plaque made up, although there's great scope for nastiness in
those too.

Tell you what, why not go to the local garage and see if
they can make up the name on a number plate.

No need - you can spot my house from the scrap cars in the front garden
:-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Nigel Molesworth

On Tue, 24 Jan 2006 10:38:39 -0000, Rob Morley wrote:

I did rather wonder why the OP doesn't just have a
ceramic plaque made up

A much better idea.

OK, it's horses for courses, it depends on your locality and
surrounding area, I would suggest the following grin:

Rural area with houses more than 50m apart (where I live). Something
very distinctive with the house name painted on, this helps delivery
drivers to find you. For example cider barrel, millstone, cart wheel,
bee hive (what I have)

Less rural area. A slice of oak from the tree that fell down in the
hurricane painted with the house name.

Urban area that wants to be rural. A ceramic plate with the house
name, even though the house has a number.

Urban area, middle class. Wrought-iron gates with the house number
integrated into the design.

Urban area, ex-council houses. Stick on metal plates with italic
numbers, plastic screw on numbers or letters. "Got any 'ose"

Urban area, council houses. Whatever the council put up.

Housing estate in Liverpool. Don't put your number on the door or the
narcs will know where you live. Meet all your customers in the alley.

--
Nigel M
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Nigel Molesworth

On Tue, 24 Jan 2006 19:43:49 +0000, Owain wrote:

I have laser-printed cardboard inserts in the entry phone panel :-)

Ah, one I forgot.

The town or mews house. Depends if you are running a "business" from
home. For residential property, a neatly printed insert in the panel
is ideal. For others, a hastily scribbled bit of paper stuck on the
door frame saying "For French Massage, ring top bell - if no reply
phone 09087 123 666 and leave a message"

--
Nigel M