Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mike Barnes

Default Handirack: any good?

Not very DIY but I bet this group has the answers.

I'm looking for a low-cost way to get four people and their skis to the
airport, in a normal hatchback. Looking at roof bars, they're about £90
a pair and they're specific to one model of car so not as much use as
they might be.

Then I found the "Handirack"...

http://www.handirackuk.com/

.... which is basically a pair of inflatable pillows that can be strapped
onto the roof of any car. Pretty cheap at £49.99 all in.

Has anyone used a Handirack? Does it really work? What are the
disadvantages?

--
Mike Barnes
Posted to uk.d-i-y
.

Mike Barnes wrote:
Not very DIY but I bet this group has the answers.

I'm looking for a low-cost way to get four people and their skis to
the airport, in a normal hatchback. Looking at roof bars, they're
about £90 a pair and they're specific to one model of car so not as
much use as they might be.

Then I found the "Handirack"...

http://www.handirackuk.com/

... which is basically a pair of inflatable pillows that can be
strapped onto the roof of any car. Pretty cheap at £49.99 all in.

Has anyone used a Handirack? Does it really work? What are the
disadvantages?

2 scratch lines on your car roof ?

about 4" wide by the looks of things. I'd rather spend the extra and keep a proper
Thule rack in the boot. and how did the person in that example get the surf boards
to the beach in the first place ?

total gimmick, imo.

YMMWV

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Capitol

Mike Barnes wrote:

Not very DIY but I bet this group has the answers.

I'm looking for a low-cost way to get four people and their skis to the
airport, in a normal hatchback. Looking at roof bars, they're about £90
a pair and they're specific to one model of car so not as much use as
they might be.

Why not consider a non slip mat on the roof of the car, and hold the
ski's down with a couple of webbing straps looped right through the car
door frames. Worked for us with a 5' double bed and mattress!!
Surprisingly effective, I also use it for the boat on occasions, with a
bit more fore and aft restraint.
Some considerate driving may be required.

Regards
Capitol
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mary Fisher

"Capitol" wrote in message

Why not consider a non slip mat on the roof of the car,

What a good idea! Not just for skis (which wedon't use) - for anything! The
frame for the Viking tent comes to mind ...

Thanks,

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Colin Wilson

Why not consider a non slip mat on the roof of the car, and hold the
ski's down with a couple of webbing straps looped right through the car
door frames. Worked for us with a 5' double bed and mattress!!

Been there, done that... also had a 3 seater sofa on top of a mini
once... police car spotted us, shook their head in disbelief, and
carried on their way (it was very well secured !)

--
Please add the word "newsgroup" in the subject line of personal emails
**** My email address includes "ngspamtrap" and " ****

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Lobster

Mike Barnes wrote:
Not very DIY but I bet this group has the answers.

I'm looking for a low-cost way to get four people and their skis to the
airport, in a normal hatchback. Looking at roof bars, they're about £90
a pair and they're specific to one model of car so not as much use as
they might be.

Buy a second-hand set on ebay for 40 quid, then afterwards sell them the
same way for a similar sum.

David