Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Light switch wiring.....

Hi,

Am wanting to know about wiring a light switch. The switch is one of 2
switches operating the same 2 lights in my hall.

I have 2 cables, one with a red, black and yellow/green earth wire the
other with a red, blue, yellow and a yellow/green earth wire.

The switch has 3 places for the wires. L1, L2 and COM.

The 2 live red wires will go together as will the blue and black but
where do they and the yellow wire fit into the switch.

Regards and Thanks

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Erm, stop right now.....

I think you should probably refer to the FAQ at

http://www.diyfaq.org.uk/electrical/...l.html#two-way

before you go any further. If you still don't understand then ask -
it's not quite as simple as you think (although it is obvious when you
realise what is really going on).

Phil

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Christian McArdle

I have 2 cables, one with a red, black and yellow/green earth wire the
other with a red, blue, yellow and a yellow/green earth wire.

The switch has 3 places for the wires. L1, L2 and COM.

The 2 live red wires will go together as will the blue and black but
where do they and the yellow wire fit into the switch.

All the conductors are actually lives, either permanent or switched. The
blue/black doesn't mean neutral. There are different methods of wiring this
up. My favourite below has the advantage of not requiring any additional
connector blocks.

Firstly, get some red sleeving. You can use red insulation tape, but it
isn't as secure.

Connect the reds to L1.
Connect the black and blue to L2.
Connect the yellow to COM.

At the other switch you should have just the 3 core + earth cable. It is
wired the same, except for the absence of the 2 core cable.

Connect the red to L1.
Connect the blue to L2.
Connect the yellow to COM.

Ensure that every single conductor, apart from the yellow/green earth are
either already red, or have red sleeving. If your house largely uses new
colours (and it apparently doesn't) use brown sleeving.

Christian.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Plowman (News)

In article . com,
wrote:
Am wanting to know about wiring a light switch. The switch is one of 2
switches operating the same 2 lights in my hall.

I have 2 cables, one with a red, black and yellow/green earth wire the
other with a red, blue, yellow and a yellow/green earth wire.

The switch has 3 places for the wires. L1, L2 and COM.

The 2 live red wires will go together as will the blue and black but
where do they and the yellow wire fit into the switch.

L1 L1
0===========0 0===========0============= Line
| \ / |
\ / \ /
L2 Optional L2
Intermediate

--
*Santa's helpers are subordinate clauses.*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.