Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mold

Default OT selling house via web sites

"dave" wrote in message
Sorry for OT but I was just wondering of anyone here has had an success
(or
failure!) at selling their house on the web - rather than via an estate
agent? I
see there are a few sites around that will list/advertise a property for a
cut
of the proceeds on sale via any contact supplied by themselves. I
appreciate the
risks that are possible with this and that's why I thought I'd ask for any
persoanl experiences with this.

I suppose I could put up my own site and advertise the proprety there -
but the
problem then is (as I see it) how do potential buyers find it.

There is also ebay of course... comments? :-)

Thanks.

Yes.

We used Houseweb - It was on for about 5 weeks without much interest and
just as we got the bloke round from Taylors (we we're in a hurry) we had two
people phone in two days.

I think we paid about 120 for permanent advertising on all the usual
websites (you just need to renew for free once a month - by clicking a
button) and also got a professional looking sign for the front.

We've saved a mint on the costs (about 1300 quid we were quoted from
Taylors). Just get your solicitors to deal with any negotiations with buyers
that are required and you don't have to do much work yourself.

If you are not in a hurry you might as well do it yourself and then change
to an estate agents if you feel it's not working for you. You can advertise
privately and sell through an agent at the same time, just make sure the
agents contract states "Sole agent" rather than "Sole seller" - if it is the
last they can sting you for a cut even if they do not provide the buyer.

I wouldn't sell a house on eBay, I think you'd have to be nuts TBH!

Rich.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Geoffrey

On Mon, 16 Jan 2006 17:17:10 GMT, "Mold" wrote:

I wouldn't sell a house on eBay, I think you'd have to be nuts TBH!

Um why?

If you put a reserve in for the least amount you are willing to accept
I don't see a problem.

Do you think there are more timewasters on ebay than there are
wandering around estate agents?

And you never know - you might get someone who can pay via paypal

--
If you think education is expensive, try ignorance.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Adrian Brentnall

Hi All

On Mon, 16 Jan 2006 18:22:23 GMT, Geoffrey
wrote:

On Mon, 16 Jan 2006 17:17:10 GMT, "Mold" wrote:

I wouldn't sell a house on eBay, I think you'd have to be nuts TBH!

Um why?

If you put a reserve in for the least amount you are willing to accept
I don't see a problem.

Do you think there are more timewasters on ebay than there are
wandering around estate agents?

And you never know - you might get someone who can pay via paypal

Actually - property 'auctions' on eBay work differently to other eBay
sales....

quote

Due to the wide variety of laws governing the sale of properties in UK
and Ireland, eBay property listings are not legally binding offers to
buy and sell that property. Instead, they are simply a way for sellers
to advertise their property and meet potential buyers. At the close of
the auction, the seller should contact the winning bidder to discuss
entering into a contract for the real property. However, neither party
is obligated to complete the property transaction. This type of
transaction is called a Non-binding Auction.

What is a Non-binding auction?

Non-binding auctions of properties do not involve binding commitments
by members to buy and sell property. Instead, these "auctions" are
simply a way for sellers to advertise their properties within the
auction-style environment familiar to eBay's members. At the close of
the auction, the seller is expected to contact the high bidder to
discuss entering into a contract for the real sale of the property.
Neither party is obliged to complete the transaction.

unquote

So the business of 'reserves', 'final fees' etc don't come into it -
there's a flat listing fee of £35 - which either represents an
enormous saving over using an estate agent, or a waste of £35 -
depending on whether you're successful or not.

There's probably a good reason why there are only 164 properties
advertised on eBay at this moment......

Adrian
Suffolk UK
======return email munged=================
take out the papers and the trash to reply
Posted to uk.d-i-y
skuzzbag

On Mon, 16 Jan 2006 18:22:23 GMT, Geoffrey wrote:

On Mon, 16 Jan 2006 17:17:10 GMT, "Mold" wrote:

I wouldn't sell a house on eBay, I think you'd have to be nuts TBH!

Um why?

If you put a reserve in for the least amount you are willing to accept
I don't see a problem.

Do you think there are more timewasters on ebay than there are
wandering around estate agents?

And you never know - you might get someone who can pay via paypal

Well, does it work differently to a normal auction?

I just couldn't imagine a house going in 2 weeks and netting you want you
want for it.

Just seems a bit odd to me, maybe I'm missing something!
Posted to uk.d-i-y
sPoNiX

wrote:

On Mon, 16 Jan 2006 17:17:10 GMT, "Mold" wrote:

I wouldn't sell a house on eBay, I think you'd have to be nuts TBH!

Um why?

If you put a reserve in for the least amount you are willing to accept
I don't see a problem.

Do you think there are more timewasters on ebay than there are
wandering around estate agents?

And you never know - you might get someone who can pay via paypal

All ebay auctions for houses are non binding, regardless of the final
bid price. This is in the ebay T&Cs

It's simply a way of getting buyer and seller together.

As it only costs £35 it's worth a go.

sponix