Posted to uk.d-i-y
sponix

Default clinical thermometer

On Sun, 15 Jan 2006 17:47:52 GMT, dave wrote:

I'd like to get a new clinical thermometer (just to have one in the house) and
replace the glass Hg one we have now. I'm off to Boots in the morning to see
what they have - but wonder if someone here knows a make they can recommend (and
where from + cost?)

Out of interest, how accurate are the digital ones? The glass ones are
calibrated to 0.1 degree C

The digital ones are OK...t'other day I saw an infra red forehead
thermometer which I thought was a good idea.

sponix
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andrew Gabriel

In article ,
sponix writes:

The digital ones are OK...t'other day I saw an infra red forehead
thermometer which I thought was a good idea.

Skin temperature isn't such an accurate measure.
It's useful when you want to check 1000/hr coming
through immigration though. Pointing the thing in
your mouth can be a little more accurate in some
circumstances.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Liquorice

On Sun, 15 Jan 2006 18:58:10 +0000, sponix wrote:

The digital ones are OK...t'other day I saw an infra red forehead
thermometer which I thought was a good idea.

We have an IR stick in yer ear jobbie. No problems with the kids
accepting it. Much quicker(*) than a LCD forehead thing which they did
object to and safer than a glass/Hg stick it in the mouth one. Even
more fun if you let them pop off the hygiene cover. It's a Braun
Thermoscan, not cheap at about £30 but worth it for the speed and ease
of use on the kids.

(*) A reading is 5s from holding ear to reading the display. Button
push to beep is maybe 1s.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tim S

Dave Liquorice wrote:

On Sun, 15 Jan 2006 18:58:10 +0000, sponix wrote:

The digital ones are OK...t'other day I saw an infra red forehead
thermometer which I thought was a good idea.

We have an IR stick in yer ear jobbie. No problems with the kids
accepting it. Much quicker(*) than a LCD forehead thing which they did
object to and safer than a glass/Hg stick it in the mouth one. Even
more fun if you let them pop off the hygiene cover. It's a Braun
Thermoscan, not cheap at about £30 but worth it for the speed and ease
of use on the kids.

(*) A reading is 5s from holding ear to reading the display. Button
push to beep is maybe 1s.

I've not been fully convinced that ear wax won't mess those up, and they
advocate buying loads of throw away sheaths, which didn't appeal either.

I needed to replace a failed thermometer last week. In the end I went for a
regular digital, a Microlife 10-second jobby (actually 20 seconds, unless
you go for the alien probe method). Very impressed, it is fast for its type
and has a nice back light, plus water proof.

Normally I'm quite happy with mercury/glass, doesn't need batteries and
keeps it's accuracy. But having little kiddies persuaded me otherwise - I
hate chasing mercury blobs on carpets with shiny 2p's trying to gather them
all up.

Tim
Posted to uk.d-i-y
chris French

In message , Tim S
writes
Dave Liquorice wrote:

On Sun, 15 Jan 2006 18:58:10 +0000, sponix wrote:

The digital ones are OK...t'other day I saw an infra red forehead
thermometer which I thought was a good idea.

We have an IR stick in yer ear jobbie. No problems with the kids
accepting it. Much quicker(*) than a LCD forehead thing which they did
object to and safer than a glass/Hg stick it in the mouth one. Even
more fun if you let them pop off the hygiene cover. It's a Braun
Thermoscan, not cheap at about £30 but worth it for the speed and ease
of use on the kids.

(*) A reading is 5s from holding ear to reading the display. Button
push to beep is maybe 1s.

I've not been fully convinced that ear wax won't mess those up,

They are it seems quite reliable - wife is a doc (though in a different
field ) and seems happy with it.

and they
advocate buying loads of throw away sheaths, which didn't appeal either.

We have thrown away one I think. unless I suspect an ear infection I've
not bothered to thrown it away.

I needed to replace a failed thermometer last week. In the end I went for a
regular digital, a Microlife 10-second jobby (actually 20 seconds, unless
you go for the alien probe method). Very impressed, it is fast for its type
and has a nice back light, plus water proof.

We have a digital probe type one as well (a freebie from drug rep) works
ok but fiddlier than the ear one.
--
Chris French

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Brian Sharrock

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
ll.com...
On Sun, 15 Jan 2006 18:58:10 +0000, sponix wrote:

The digital ones are OK...t'other day I saw an infra red forehead
thermometer which I thought was a good idea.

We have an IR stick in yer ear jobbie. No problems with the kids
accepting it. Much quicker(*) than a LCD forehead thing which they did
object to and safer than a glass/Hg stick it in the mouth one. Even
more fun if you let them pop off the hygiene cover. It's a Braun
Thermoscan, not cheap at about £30 but worth it for the speed and ease
of use on the kids.

(*) A reading is 5s from holding ear to reading the display. Button
push to beep is maybe 1s.

Anecdote mode=ON;-
I was admitted to hospital a year or so ago wherein I
at first I was "obb'd" at thirty minute intervals,
the nurses used the 'stick in yer ear jobbies' and recorded
the results.
During 'rounds' the consultant looked at my file and
said to me; - 'The blood-counts are nnnn .
You seem to be stabilising, but I'm concerned about the
fluctuations in your temperature ...". The fluctuations were
about a degree or so and seemed randomly up or down.
Lying on the bed, I began to think - some nurses poked the
jobbie into my left ear - some into my right ear- could that
explain the fluctuations? The next 'obb'; I asked the nurse to
gain her measurement from my left ear. 'Why?' she asked,
so I explained my theory. She returned later having
circulated the ward, and told me that she'd poked the
jobbie into patients both ears and the readings were different!
She then wrote in Red letters 'Temps from Left Ear only!"
Twenty four hours later , the Consulatant told me ' Your temperature
has stopped fluctuating - I'm recommending that you be transferred
to a less-intensive-nursing Ward. !

Anecdote Mode=OFF.

--

Brian

--
Cheers

Dave. pam is missing
e-mail

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Liquorice

On Mon, 16 Jan 2006 00:27:40 +0000, Tim S wrote:

I've not been fully convinced that ear wax won't mess those up,

Why should it? It'll be at core temp within the ear canal.

and they advocate buying loads of throw away sheaths, which didn't
appeal either.

Sick squid for 40, hardly a great expense. We still have about 10 of
the original 40 I bought with the thermometer several years back.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

balancing radiators and infra red thermometer JJJ UK diy 7 November 26th 05 02:32 PM
Remote sensing thermometer question Ivan Vegvary Metalworking 11 August 25th 04 06:45 PM
IR Thermometer David Hearn UK diy 3 December 16th 03 01:06 PM
Alternative to a radiator balancing thermometer mutley UK diy 1 November 18th 03 01:58 AM
where can I get a good-quality air thermometer? Hatch Beck UK diy 3 August 8th 03 12:55 AM