Posted to uk.d-i-y
Nigel Molesworth

Default Deep baths?

Seeing as there is a "bath length" discussion, I thought I would start
one on depths. My current bath is 1700 x 700, and I want to replace it
with a deeper one, I could go to 750mm wide.

The depth is 370 to the rim, but only 300 to the overflow. I'm a big
bloke and can't submerge in so little water, even one end at a time.

Any suggestions on deeper baths, preferably steel?

--
Nigel M
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mary Fisher

"Nigel Molesworth" wrote in message
Seeing as there is a "bath length" discussion, I thought I would start
one on depths. My current bath is 1700 x 700, and I want to replace it
with a deeper one, I could go to 750mm wide.

The depth is 370 to the rim, but only 300 to the overflow. I'm a big
bloke and can't submerge in so little water, even one end at a time.

Any suggestions on deeper baths, preferably steel?

You can't submerge in any depth. You float.

Mary

--
Nigel M

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris J Dixon

Mary Fisher wrote:

You can't submerge in any depth. You float.

So how does drowning work then?

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Have dancing shoes, will ceilidh.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mary Fisher

"Chris J Dixon" wrote in message
Mary Fisher wrote:

You can't submerge in any depth. You float.

So how does drowning work then?

If you're in a domestic bath you have to be held down.

In any other situation you wouldn't drown in still water if you thashed
around and breathed in water.

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mary Fisher

"Ian Stirling" wrote in message
Mary Fisher wrote:

"Nigel Molesworth" wrote in message
Seeing as there is a "bath length" discussion, I thought I would start
one on depths. My current bath is 1700 x 700, and I want to replace it
with a deeper one, I could go to 750mm wide.

The depth is 370 to the rim, but only 300 to the overflow. I'm a big
bloke and can't submerge in so little water, even one end at a time.

Any suggestions on deeper baths, preferably steel?

You can't submerge in any depth. You float.

Some people sink.

An adult in a domestic bath?

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Fawthrop

On Sat, 14 Jan 2006 18:08:12 -0000, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

|"Nigel Molesworth" wrote in message
.. .
| Seeing as there is a "bath length" discussion, I thought I would start
| one on depths. My current bath is 1700 x 700, and I want to replace it
| with a deeper one, I could go to 750mm wide.
|
| The depth is 370 to the rim, but only 300 to the overflow. I'm a big
| bloke and can't submerge in so little water, even one end at a time.
|
| Any suggestions on deeper baths, preferably steel?
|
|You can't submerge in any depth. You float.

No in general women float, men sink. It is a matter of body fat. Women
need a higher proportion of body fat I can lie on the bottom of a
swimming pool provided I have my lungs only half full of air. Thin
athletes are the classic example.
http://www.betterhealth.vic.gov.au/b...a?OpenDocument
--
Dave Fawthrop dave hyphenologist co uk
17,000 free e-books at Project Gutenberg! http://www.gutenberg.net
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I'm so dense that I have to bathe in Mercury.

Getting back to topic, have you tried...
www.plumbworld.co.uk

...they have a reasonable selection plus some with jets.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Blueyonder

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
t...
If you're in a domestic bath you have to be held down.

In any other situation you wouldn't drown in still water if you thashed
around and breathed in water.

Scary Mary! You know too much.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ian Stirling

Mary Fisher wrote:

"Nigel Molesworth" wrote in message
Seeing as there is a "bath length" discussion, I thought I would start
one on depths. My current bath is 1700 x 700, and I want to replace it
with a deeper one, I could go to 750mm wide.

The depth is 370 to the rim, but only 300 to the overflow. I'm a big
bloke and can't submerge in so little water, even one end at a time.

Any suggestions on deeper baths, preferably steel?

You can't submerge in any depth. You float.

Some people sink.

An adult in a domestic bath?

People with very low body fat can sink AIUI.
Alas, I don't have either the inclination to test this, or anywhere
near the required levels.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mary Fisher

"Blueyonder" wrote in message

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
t...
If you're in a domestic bath you have to be held down.

In any other situation you wouldn't drown in still water if you thashed
around and breathed in water.

Scary Mary! You know too much.

Yes, it appears that I know what 'thashed' means!

Of course, I meant 'thrashed'.

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mary Fisher

wrote in message
oups.com...
I'm so dense that I have to bathe in Mercury.

When I worked in a lab I loved pouring a bowl of mercury and pressing my
fingers into it and fantasising about floating on it. People used to have -
perhaps still do - water beds. I always thought that a mercury bed would be
far more satisfactory.

If the infrastructure was substantial enough ...

Mary

Getting back to topic, have you tried...
www.plumbworld.co.uk

...they have a reasonable selection plus some with jets.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
The Natural Philosopher

On 14 Jan 2006 11:51:41 -0800, wrote:

I'm so dense that I have to bathe in Mercury.

How does he feel about that?
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dan delaMare-Lyon

wrote in message
oups.com...
I'm so dense that I have to bathe in Mercury.

Getting back to topic, have you tried...
www.plumbworld.co.uk

...they have a reasonable selection plus some with jets.

Can I just add to that that I have the "P" shaped showebath from them with
the whirlpool kit - it's marvellous.

It's made by Maax in Holland and the "brand" is Saninova. It's huge - very
light - very strong (as in it can take a complete load of water and me - and
I'm 16 stone!) and there's plenty of room for my 6'4" frame.

It's about 350 to the waste too - *but* - with the P shape part you can lay
on your side and soak to your hearts content...

Cheers
dan.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
emma

I just bought a kaldewell steel bath. Steel baths can apparently be
deeper than acrylic as the sides are stronger. Have a look at
http://www.kaldewei.com/downloads/td...orm_en_445.pdf
for technical data - I got mine from a firm on ebay selling them for
£60 but I went for a thicker steel version 1700x700 for £180
delivered. They do other sizes.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

When I worked in a lab I loved pouring a bowl of mercury and pressing my
fingers into it and fantasising about floating on it. People used to have -
perhaps still do - water beds. I always thought that a mercury bed would be
far more satisfactory.

If the infrastructure was substantial enough ...

Mary

We used to do that at school with Mecury in a dish.
With an SG of 13.6 a whole bath full will certainly put the joists to a
test. Also the price. What does Mercury cost these days?

Chris.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mary Fisher

wrote in message
oups.com...
When I worked in a lab I loved pouring a bowl of mercury and pressing my
fingers into it and fantasising about floating on it. People used to
have -
perhaps still do - water beds. I always thought that a mercury bed would
be
far more satisfactory.

If the infrastructure was substantial enough ...

Mary

We used to do that at school with Mecury in a dish.

It would be illegal now of course. No mercury in schools. No more trying to
suck up the beads from between the floorboards with a pipette ... sigh ...
happy days!

With an SG of 13.6 a whole bath full will certainly put the joists to a
test. Also the price. What does Mercury cost these days?

It was always expensive. I have a nice little square glass bottle labeled
'Hydrargium', containing about 100ml. At school it was always in stoneware
bottles, glass wasn't considered strong enough to contain it.

Mary

Chris.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
The Natural Philosopher

On 15 Jan 2006 02:42:01 -0800, emma wrote:

I just bought a kaldewell steel bath. Steel baths can apparently be
deeper than acrylic as the sides are stronger.

That is a non sequitur. Just make the acyric baths thicker

My Biodisk tank for **** digestion is fibreglass and its over 6ft deep.

Perhaps bathing in it would help your understanding of basic structural
theory.

Have a look at
http://www.kaldewei.com/downloads/td...orm_en_445.pdf
for technical data - I got mine from a firm on ebay selling them for
£60 but I went for a thicker steel version 1700x700 for £180
delivered. They do other sizes.

I've had some pretty deep acrylic baths..got one due in tommorrow - about
700mm plug-to-overflow IIRC. And 1800 x800.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
emma

Sorry, I meant to say it was my understanding that the sides can be
_steeper_ in a steel bath as steel is stronger than acrylic.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Christian McArdle

You can't submerge in any depth. You float.

Not always. I used to sink. It made swimming very tiring. However, at about
the age of 19, I started floating and found that I could swim 10 times the
distance.

And I really did sink. If I stopped moving, I'd end up sitting on the
bottom. I can still do it now if I breathe out, but back then it would
happen even with a lung full of air.

Christian.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Bob Mannix

"Christian McArdle" wrote in message
You can't submerge in any depth. You float.

Not always. I used to sink. It made swimming very tiring. However, at
about
the age of 19, I started floating and found that I could swim 10 times the
distance.

And I really did sink. If I stopped moving, I'd end up sitting on the
bottom. I can still do it now if I breathe out, but back then it would
happen even with a lung full of air.

I suppose one has to resist the temptation to say you must be dense ;o)

--
Bob Mannix
(anti-spam is as easy as 1-2-3 - not)