Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mathew Newton

Default Cutting a carpet in two?

I've just ordered a carpet from CarpetRight for my
landing/staircase/hall and, having spoken to my intended fitter, would
like the carpet width to be cut in two as not only will this mean I can
collect the carpet myself but it will also save having to do this in
the potentially awkard-bugger shape of a hallway. Unfortunately,
CarpetRight have said they are unable to do this for me however they
will allow use of their massive warehouse/backroom if me or my fitter
wish to lay it out and chop it on collection.

The fitter is unable to collect the carpet and so this leaves me with
two options - pay to get it delivered (and the fitter will chop it in
the hall) or I go to CarpetRight, chop it in two, and bring it home
myself.

If I chose the latter option can anyone offer any suggestions/tips for
making a 'easy' decent, accurate cut whilst ensuring I don't ruin the
whole lot before it's even left the shop?

You might be wondering why I'm going with this fitter if he's not able
to collect the carpet for me however he's a semi-retired 'old boy'
who's fitted carpets his whole life (indeed he's done all the carpets
in my life too!) - his skill is what I'm after and the fact that he's
no longer got a van, or takes a whole day on the job, matters little.

Incidentally, the fitter has said he'd be able to cut it in the hall if
need be - it'd just be tricky and would of course mean I'll have to
fork out CarpetRight's delivery charge (which I admit to having not
checked the scale of).

Regards,

Mathew