Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rupert

Default Figs--tll me how

I have had a potted fig for many years. This year 2 figs and they were
superb (the first ever, apart from fruitlets) . How do I make it more
productive in West Yorkshire?
No I will *not* move it to Devon or Cornwall.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rupert

"Rupert" wrote in message
I have had a potted fig for many years. This year 2 figs and they were
superb (the first ever, apart from fruitlets) . How do I make it more
productive in West Yorkshire?
No I will *not* move it to Devon or Cornwall.

Sorry folks--Too much wine--Heavy pruning with a chain saw perhaps?

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Colin Wilson

Don't worry globule warming will eventually even reach
West Yorkshire

....might have to wait until the end of the next ice-age if the flow of
warm water in the north atlantic drift drops any further.

--
Please add the word "newsgroup" in the subject line of personal emails
**** My email address includes "ngspamtrap" and " ****
Posted to uk.d-i-y
The Wanderer

On Wed, 7 Dec 2005 22:38:20 -0000, Rupert wrote:

I have had a potted fig for many years. This year 2 figs and they were
superb (the first ever, apart from fruitlets) . How do I make it more
productive in West Yorkshire?
No I will *not* move it to Devon or Cornwall.

I had one that lived in a pot for several years, rarely produced any fruit,
then it went into the garden. It produced plenty of fruit, but it's taking
over. Help! Someone get me out of here....

:-)

--
the dot wanderer at tesco dot net

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Matt

wrote:

I have had a potted fig for many years. This year 2 figs and they were
superb (the first ever, apart from fruitlets) . How do I make it more
productive in West Yorkshire?
No I will *not* move it to Devon or Cornwall.

Take it out of the pot

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mike the Unshavable

Tim Lamb writed in
:

In message , Matt
writes
wrote:

I have had a potted fig for many years. This year 2 figs and they were
superb (the first ever, apart from fruitlets) . How do I make it more
productive in West Yorkshire?
No I will *not* move it to Devon or Cornwall.

This cropped up on Gardeners Question Time a year or so back. AFAIR the
answer related to the Fig being a Mediterranean plant used to cropping
more than once a year.

The suggestion was to take off all the immature figs except the pin

head
sized ones. The plant is not then trying to produce new leaves and

ripen
loads of fruit at the same time next spring. Exactly when you do this

is
beyond my knowledge but now seems sensible. Keeping the roots

restricted
was mentioned.

All that said, I saw an unmanaged tree last year, in a not particularly
warm part of Suffolk, with plenty of ready to eat fruit.

I've got a very productive un-pruned fig in Leicestershire against a
south-west facing wall. It's about 20 years old and now about 10 foot
high by 4 foot across. There's several enormous specimens in parks in
North London (or were a few years ago).
*Don't* ever feed them - they will stop producing, they thrive in
rubble!!

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mindwipe

"Mike the Unshavable" wrote in message
.. .
Tim Lamb writed in
:

In message , Matt
writes
wrote:

[...]

sorry if i sound thick
and i am really only try to be helpful so humour me but how big is it?

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mike the Unshavable

"Mindwipe" writed in
:

wrote:

[...]

Well, the one I'm most familiar with is, or was, in (what I know as)
Bury Lodge Park in Bush Hill Park Enfield, and that was easily 25foot
tall by around 15 foot wide, again against a wall, possibly west facing.
If you feed them, they get leggy, and don't fruit, it's not that feeding
them encourages dramatic growth!