Posted to uk.d-i-y
damo

Default Aga Flue (Conversion?)

Hi,

I currently have vertical open flued aga installed in my kitchen,
through the chimney, on an internal wall. I am looking at changing this
to an updated aga, and wonder if it is possible to convert a balanced
flue set-up, in to the existing chimney?

I have found a balance flue system, but cannot place it where the
current one is, as I cannot accomplish the regulations required.

Current install completed by myself, and any further work on the new
intallation would be completed in this way.

Any ideas?

Many Thanks

Damian

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Hall

On 4 Dec 2005 09:29:26 -0800, "damo"
wrote:

Hi,

I currently have vertical open flued aga installed in my kitchen,
through the chimney, on an internal wall. I am looking at changing this
to an updated aga, and wonder if it is possible to convert a balanced
flue set-up, in to the existing chimney?

I have found a balance flue system, but cannot place it where the
current one is, as I cannot accomplish the regulations required.

Current install completed by myself, and any further work on the new
intallation would be completed in this way.

Any ideas?

Many Thanks

Damian

Damian, please could you clarify what you are asking.

Do you mean that you are going to buy a new Aga with balanced flue and
want to try to run that into the existing chimney, or that you want to
get the current one changed to a balanced flue arrangement, or??

I believe that you can probably obtain the parts required to effect a
conversion if it is one of the more recent models that has it as an
option. You can contact the technical department at Aga Rayburn in
Telford and ask - they are very helpful in my experience. Twyford
Cookers is another source of help and spares for Aga products and may
have older pieces as well.

If you are asking whether you can run a balanced flue into a
conventional chimney then I would have thought not.
If you meant that you are buying a new Aga, then you can get
conventional flue anyway. I'm sitting in front of mine as I type
this waiting for my perfectly prepared roast beef dinner.

Another option is the power assisted flue. These have a small fan in
them and are intended to get you out of awkward flue situations
because they can be run longer distances, in awkward places and use
small pipe. Whether they can terminate into a chimney as opposed to
outside, I am not sure, but again I doubt it. One other drawback is
that the fan runs, of course, continuously. The sound level is very
low (less than a typical fridge for example), but can be heard a
couple of metres away in a perfectly quiet room.

--

..andy

Posted to uk.d-i-y
damo

Thanks Andy,

I mean...

* I have a Gas converted vertical open flue that runs in to standard
house chimney.
* I wish to buy a newer (not brand new - refurb) gas aga to use the
same flue as I have presently, but the one I have found locally is a
balanced flue.

I cannot accomodate the balaced flue as is with the kitchen as I cannot
comply with the regulations for it (1 outer wall only containing 12ft x
4ft window!). Therefore I was hoping I could buy the balanced aga and
somehow convert to the open flue that I currently have.

obviously if not then - I will look elsewhere - purely at open flue
versions...

Hope this helps with my problem?

Again - thanks

Damian

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Hall

On 4 Dec 2005 11:00:24 -0800, "damo"
wrote:

Thanks Andy,

I mean...

* I have a Gas converted vertical open flue that runs in to standard
house chimney.
* I wish to buy a newer (not brand new - refurb) gas aga to use the
same flue as I have presently, but the one I have found locally is a
balanced flue.

I cannot accomodate the balaced flue as is with the kitchen as I cannot
comply with the regulations for it (1 outer wall only containing 12ft x
4ft window!). Therefore I was hoping I could buy the balanced aga and
somehow convert to the open flue that I currently have.

obviously if not then - I will look elsewhere - purely at open flue
versions...

OK, now I understand.

I think it's pretty unlikely that it is possible to have some kind of
external conversion from balanced to conventional flue, and you would
need to accommodate the flue behind the cooker and have it forward
from the wall anyway which you probably don't want.

It may be that the pieces are available to convert the cooker itself
to conventional from balanced flue, but it may be substantial in cost
and involve stripping the cooker right down. I think you'll need to
ask Aga that question, but I suspect it wouldn't be economic.

--

..andy

Posted to uk.d-i-y
damo

Ok Andy - Many Thanks

Ill let you know what aga say - if relevant!

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Hall

On 4 Dec 2005 11:48:37 -0800, "damo"
wrote:

Ok Andy - Many Thanks

Ill let you know what aga say - if relevant!

I think that it will likely be "no" or "lots of shekels".

I'd be interested to know, though.

--

..andy